Hey guys,

I'm on the hunt for a new amp, for 80s thrash/semi-modern, 90s sort of metal. I'm after 2 foot-switchable channels; a decent sounding clean channel, and a solid, aggressive high-gain crunch rhythm channel. A built-in boost would be lovely, but if not, i'll look for a boost pedal of some description.

As the title suggests, im being realistic. I'm not a musician; i'm an enthusiast. I have no interest in gigging. I'm just looking for an amp for home, to play the music I enjoy. As a result, I dont need much in the way or wattage. Honestly, 20W would be plenty. Possibly even excessive.

I'm not too fussed in the way of combo vs (mini) stack, as long as the sound is there. I live in Sydney, Australia, so as well as being kinda restricted in terms of choice, most things are sickeningly overpriced. I was looking at spending AROUND $1000 AUD, but I could probably stretch that to cover a solid investment.

I've heard/read mixed opinions on the Blackstar HT/HT Venue series, as well as Jet City as a whole. The mini-Marshalls that are due out late this year look pretty terrific, but will probably cost an arm and a leg. The Orange Dark Terror is an obvious option, but it only has the one channel.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for amps in that sort of ballpark, that would be super

Thanks guys

edit: I forgot to mention, i'd much prefer an all-tube amp
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Last edited by awesome-o at Feb 5, 2012,
I'd say a Roland Cube of some sort, but I say that every time someone asks about specs that loosely fit it. But I think it'd fit really nice with what you're looking for. I have the 20x, and that one is already LOUD. I never crank it up past 5 as to avoid fights with neighbours.
If you're interested in the Dark Terror, but want a second channel, look at the Dual Terror. I will say though, from my experiances with them, they lack some of the more focused and punchy sound of other high-gain amplifiers, but they're brilliant for a small amp.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Feb 5, 2012,
pretty much, what both the guys above me said. if you really like the tiny terror, the dual terror is a two channel version that is quite nice, and multiple wattage switches.

The roland cubes (never owned one, but have use) are really fun and great amps for bedroom play.

and the blackstars(never played but they get a lot of praise on this site) see to be pretty good as well.

But something you mentioned, was the mini series marshall is releasing(i want one!), I Don't think they'll cost an arm and a leg :p otherwise you could just get the high watt version and an attenuator for the same price.

Also, that is an option, getting a higher watt amp you really like and adding an attenuator to it.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Orange Dark Terror for sure, not footswitchable but since you said your a home player then it shouldn't be an issue. Also has an FX loop unlike the other Terror models.

And that amp can definitely reach some nice cleans, even some bluesy type stuff. Check out a demo on YT by a fellow named RobChappers.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
pretty much, what both the guys above me said. if you really like the tiny terror, the dual terror is a two channel version that is quite nice, and multiple wattage switches.

The roland cubes (never owned one, but have use) are really fun and great amps for bedroom play.

and the blackstars(never played but they get a lot of praise on this site) see to be pretty good as well.

But something you mentioned, was the mini series marshall is releasing(i want one!), I Don't think they'll cost an arm and a leg :p otherwise you could just get the high watt version and an attenuator for the same price.

Also, that is an option, getting a higher watt amp you really like and adding an attenuator to it.

I was under the (possibly nonsense) impression that power attenuators are also really expensive. I could be wrong though. Also, I thought that their use was in some way detrimental to life of the amp
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by awesome-o
I was under the (possibly nonsense) impression that power attenuators are also really expensive. I could be wrong though. Also, I thought that their use was in some way detrimental to life of the amp

from just a quick hit on a few sites i found most attenuators were 100-300$

But the amp life is just on how you look at it.
-----
An attenuator basically works like... a dam on a river.

picture the river before the dam as the amp, the dam is the attenuator and the river afterwards is the cabinet.

So, all it does is take the wattage down between the amp and the cabinet.
-----
Now, some people really like the sound of a tube amp at full blast, run the tubes really hot. Most people can't do that on a regular basis so they run the tubes at a bit less so they can get a lower volume. however with an attenuator you don't need to run the tubes lower so a lot of people run the tubes at full blast all the time, which burns the tubes out faster. But other than that, it wont damage your amp at all.

So, as you see... just depends on how you look at it. It doesn't technically hurt your amp, but it can run your power tubes out faster.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
If your going to just run the attenuator just get a lunchbox amp and call it a day. Much more simple and hits your budget way less in the long run. Not to mention changing tubes will be cheaper when they burn out too, assuming you get a tube amp.
Orange #4
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.