i've gotten used to my thumb hiding behind my hand during fingerstylin

teacher keeps telling me to extend my thumb outward beside my hand

are the consequences of this really bad
i dont really understand what you mean :P
can you elaborate?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
im a noob at fingerstlye picking, i never use it, but the basics stay the same, your hand is relaxed and your thumb must be ready to pull towards your palm.

If you are hiding it inside your palm it would mea, that to play a string you would have to pull it out and then pull it in again, which is an immense waste of energy and time

Are you not using the thumb at all?

__
Side question, does anyone know why PIMA style doesnt use the pinky?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
im a noob at fingerstlye picking, i never use it, but the basics stay the same, your hand is relaxed and your thumb must be ready to pull towards your palm.

If you are hiding it inside your palm it would mea, that to play a string you would have to pull it out and then pull it in again, which is an immense waste of energy and time

Are you not using the thumb at all?

__
Side question, does anyone know why PIMA style doesnt use the pinky?
my hand IS relaxed. If i let my hand drop freely its naturally a bit behind my palm, that's why I got used to it. I just don't get how my thumb outside sideward is supposed to be easier when it's farther.

Pinky is quite short so it doesn't line up as well as the other fingers. The first four digits are so strong anyway, you rarely need pinky.
haha, i've gotten used to that. when teacher made me try hybrid, the pinky was sooo... uncooperative
I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by the two positions - can you post pics?

haha, i've gotten used to that. when teacher made me try hybrid, the pinky was sooo... uncooperative

Yeah, you kinda have to use it with hybrid picking though, I use my pinky a lot because I hate putting down the pick.
Classical guitarist=best with their right hand fingers on guitar....and flamenco guitarists. Try looking up as many classical guitar videos on YouTube about the right hand as you can. There are a lot of great videos on tone and finger position.
Quote by Freepower
I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by the two positions - can you post pics?
:
since its much faster to draw..
Attachments:
New Canvas.jpg
i think what hes trying to get at is that you need your thumb to be ready to play the lower notes.

if you are constantly keeping it in like that, then you have to re-extend it to play a note. the hole point about improving, is not to get faster at what you do, but to get more efficient with your movement. i.e. always keeping the fingers millimetres from where they need to be so that you exert less energy in doing activities.

so if you think about it, the thumb should always be hovering around where it needs to be. now if in your case that means your thumb needs to be fully extended, or partially extended; then do that! lower your work load.
Quote by Marshmelllow
i think what hes trying to get at is that you need your thumb to be ready to play the lower notes.
that's what he was saying too. but i see no difference in the amount of re-extension, maybe i'll try the thumb away thing if i get the motivation and just compare it
I learned what I was told to be the classical way to finger pick. Useing the thum to pluck the low E, A, and D string, then use the index finger for the G, middle for B, and your ring for the high e. I don't use my pinkey at all.
Quote by luxeion
that's what he was saying too. but i see no difference in the amount of re-extension, maybe i'll try the thumb away thing if i get the motivation and just compare it

well you might not see it now, but in the future when you need to go faster it will make a huge difference. learning it earlier will leave you in good stead.

think of it like this. imagine you parked your car 1 mile away from your work, you will have to walk that far to get to work. you might not be on time, you'd exhaust your self getting there etc. now imagine you parked in the work carparks. you will be able get to work faster and back to the car faster and you wouldn't have used much energy at all.

yngwie malmsteen used the idea of centrepoint (tennis terminology) to describe this. centrepoint is where after hitting the ball in tennis, the tennis player returns to the centre of the court so that its easier to get to the returning ball regardless of what side it goes to.

so have a look at some great finger pickers on youtube. Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, some newer guys like ewan dobson. and look at how they pick the guitar.