Hey folks, I have an Epi LP-100 which I love, but I'm always having issues with the G string. It's always going out of tune, and while the other strings ring cleanly with a nice tone, the G always sounds a bit buzzy which is affecting the sound when it's played with other strings. Any ideas as to how to fix?

Could be worth noting, I've never had the guitar set-up professionally. I bought it online and had it delivered. All I've done is lower the action a bit myself, but that's all.
Theres many reasons strings go out of tune, but essentially its because something has moved.

If it is changing pitch from bending, then theres a good chance the string is binding in the nut. However, if it goes out of tune anyway then I would look at the tuning machine. Simple fact is that a good set of tuners cost probably around a quarter what you paid for the whole guitar, so thats not suprising its not holding its tuning.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Ace_1973
Hey folks, I have an Epi LP-100 which I love, but I'm always having issues with the G string. It's always going out of tune, and while the other strings ring cleanly with a nice tone, the G always sounds a bit buzzy which is affecting the sound when it's played with other strings.

I have the same problem !
Had same kind of problems with my G400 a while back. Replaced the nut and problem solved.
Cheers, Snapple. Would that account for the difference in tone, too? It just doesn't ever really ring clean or and I sometimes find it to hard to bring it to tune because of that.
This is actually the fault of the guitar, not yours, but in general.

Yes, it is not a perfect instrument, far from it. Old bluesmen used to tune the g a bit sharp because it always falls flat. Its one of those things, it happens less for some and more for others. Better gear may help the issue but it is a fact of life.
The simple fact is, theres a difference between a £200 guitar and a £2000 guitar. I admit there is a diminishing return the more you spend.

You should be able to get the strings to ring cleanly, are the strings hitting something when you strike them? If your strings arent making a sound for long, then your strings are probably hitting a fret. That would mean needing to adjust/setup the guitar.
Yeah, I guess you're right, chaps. I mean, this guitar is nice but it's worth £180. Never gonna be top quality, flawless build, is it? It's not so much that the G doesn't ring clean, it's just that it kind of sounds different to the others. It's got a kind of buzzy quality to it. It doesn't ring out as nicely as the others do. Ah well, I guess this is just another reason why I need to upgrade to a better guitar!
If its a buzzy sound, it would make me thing the string is hitting a fret. Does it buzz more if you hit the string harder? And is it still buzzy if you gently pluck it?

A £180 guitar should still be playable, your still buying a guitar. Better instruments are easier to play, more enjoyable to play and hence you learn better with them. If your serious about it, then its well worth buying a good guitar. I bought a gibson after playing about 9 months, and it was enjoyable to use, and also had a very good resale value .
Quote by Ace_1973
Yeah, I guess you're right, chaps. I mean, this guitar is nice but it's worth £180. Never gonna be top quality, flawless build, is it? It's not so much that the G doesn't ring clean, it's just that it kind of sounds different to the others. It's got a kind of buzzy quality to it. It doesn't ring out as nicely as the others do. Ah well, I guess this is just another reason why I need to upgrade to a better guitar!

So it could be multiple factors. Old strings, bad overall build of the guitar, and the G string's natural butthole attitude to drop flat.

Like Snapple said if your serious enough then an upgrade might be in store for you. But don't expect perfect stability on a Gibby either, its something all guitarists have to deal with. As I said, some less than others.