Looking at getting a new guitar, and I think it's time to learn about active-pickups!

I own the Roland CUBE-15XL (15W) practice amp. And I'm wondering, does the combination of active pick-ups with a practice amp make sense?

TBH i'm a bit paranoid about exploding amps, or the amp giving massive feed-back on the high out put pups.

Anyway, what's you experience with such a combo?
Works fine. I had a LTD M100 with EMGs (81/85 combo) and I used it through my Roland Cube quite a lot. No different than passive pups, in terms of response (ie no feedback, no danger of exploding, etc, etc). The tone was different though - as it should be.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Never ran it through a Roland but through non-tube amps actives don't really 'sing' like they should. Its not bad in any sense but not great either.

If your worried about if they'll ruin your amp in some way, than don't. They work with any amp. As for feedback, there are several ways to soften that. Look them up.
I use this combo all the time for about 5 years with my very first amp just about everyday with no problem
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Ahh great great!

Decided to get out the stone age that is passive pick-ups, seems that it'll be a possibility now! - Nothing wrong with passives LoG uses em, but most bands now'er days use actives.

How long do you find that you have to change the batteries on those things?
Quote by MellowDeath

but most bands now'er days use actives.

*Many metal bands use actives
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Last edited by RetroGunslinger at Feb 5, 2012,
I change them (if i remember too) about once a year, or if something doesn't sound right while playing...i like to date the month and year on the battery to see how long they last
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
God damn, once a year!?
That's a lot less than I thought.
Thanks for the suggestion i think i'll date them too, last thing i'd want is leaking batteries in a guitar.
To me, high output passives has always sounded the best. But if you like actives, more power to you. That all bands today, even that most metal bands uses actives today, is something I would really like to get some sources on.

The design of an active pickup has been around since the seventies, so it's not really "the new thing" anymore. My advice is to not jump on something because you feel like you should, but because you want to. Tone is very subjective, and just because actives seem more modern to you doesn't necessarily make you like the tone.

I have never heard of an amplifier exploding because of the pickups being high powered.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Last edited by Blargaha at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Blargaha
To me, high output passives has always sounded the best. But if you like actives, more power to you. That all bands today, even that most metal bands uses actives today, is something I would really like to get some sources on.

The design of an active pickup has been around since the seventies, so it's not really "the new thing" anymore. My advice is to not jump on something because you feel like you should, but because you want to. Tone is very subjective, and just because actives seem more modern to you doesn't necessarily make you like the tone.

I have never heard of an amplifier exploding because of the pickups being high powered.

No need to worry mate, this guitar is only 1 out of 6 more guitars. The remaining 5 are all passives. I'm going to the stores in a couple weeks to test them all out, if the actives don't work for me, it won't be bought.

This thread is just me doing some HW before going to the store.