Page 1 of 2
My friend has a Line 6 amp with 2 Celestion speakers, and since the first band show is coming I was asking myself: What if I buy a Marshall MG? He's the rythm, I'm the lead and his amp is bigger than mine. So I wanna be heard.

Thrash Metal, Blues, Jazz I play anythin.
Last edited by poisonousmetal at Feb 5, 2012,
Then you'll both sound like crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Then you'll both sound like crap.

+1. I have an MG. DO NOT GET ONE.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
MG sucks. Maybe try to play MG102CFX, it is also on 2 "12 spekears, 100W and I think you can compare it to Line6. However in transistor amps I would recommend Hughes & Kettner.
must be troll, no-one is that stupid
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I have a Line 6 Spider IV 150 Combo, and it's the best amp I think.
It's not expensive and you have about 400 effects and sounds of famous musicians or sounds built for songs like 'master of puppets' or others....
150 watts; 32 storeable channels; ....
Sorry for my bad english^^
I'm playing lead guitar in my band and my Marshall MG 50FX is working really good, producing a good lead sound. Really! When I got the amp, it included a simple foot controller that didn't work very well the first couple of gigs because the rhythm distortion and solo distortion was the same = thumbs down.
Then I bought a better foot controller where you could assign any front panel switch or amp preset to a foot switch (there's four switches). Currently my foot switches look like this:
1. Clean sound + Crunch clean 2. Rhythm distortion 3. solo distortion with chorus
4. Lead solo distortion with effects

No external pedals here!
I can recommend a Vox VT. Not much more expensive than an MG or Spider, but they sound infinitely better, much more versatile than the MG and nearly as versatile as the Spider. Maybe the 50 watt combo?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by poisonousmetal
no troll you ass

Tbh your best choice would be to buy neither and recite poetry instead, you and your audience will enjoy it more
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Wait... You have a $750 budget for a new amp, and you've narrowed your choices down to a spider stack or an MG?!?!?

Does not compute. Where do you live? For that kind of money you can get an amp that will absolutely destroy your friends spider.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Farinurlaub97
It's not expensive and you have about 400 effects and sounds of famous musicians or sounds built for songs like 'master of puppets' or others....

If you aren't trolling then I feel extremely sorry for you. Yo have a LOT to learn.
Quote by Farinurlaub97

don't buy a modelling amp.

do yourself a favor and save your money to buy something that wont sound like shit.
for that kinda money and the music u play i'd recomend a blackstar HT series amp. it'll go from thrash to chimey cleans without any problem. super loud and great sound quality. people will send alot of shit cuz its a hybrid (not all tube). but the sound qualtiy is amazing.

the 40w should be plenty loud if you can fit it in the budget.

one way or another, the spiders have always sounded like shit (however, the spider valves actually sound pretty damn good) and the new MG's are pretty bad as well
Quote by jpatan
Wait... You have a $750 budget for a new amp, and you've narrowed your choices down to a spider stack or an MG?!?!?

Does not compute. Where do you live? For that kind of money you can get an amp that will absolutely destroy your friends spider.

Puerto Rico. Most amps I've seen are Line 6, Marshall MGs & Fender. I've seen in strange places JCM & Vox. But the first three are the most you can find.
Seriously, the Spider and the MG are two of the worst amps on the market. You have to answer these questions. There will be something out there perfect for you but we need to know this info:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Seriously, the Spider and the MG are two of the worst amps on the market. You have to answer these questions. There will be something out there perfect for you but we need to know this info:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Ok.
1. 500-750$
2.Anything, but mostly Thrash
3. Don't matter
4. Both
5. Puerto Rico
6. Ibanez GTA10( it came with my first guitar), Ibanez GRG32T, Gibson SG Standard.
Puerto Rico? Well that complicates matters.
I would say something like a Traynor, a 6505 or a Vyper Tube but no idea about cost over there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fuck my ass and call me sally, this thread is killing my brain.

If you're not trolling me into next weekend, why not just buy the same piece of crap amp he's got? Both of you can then turn them down just slightly lower than 11, and you buy a boost for when you're soloing your way to stardom. Simple, cheap, and ever-so-shit-sounding.

I could sit here all day attempting to convince you to buy a decent tube half-stack but let's be honest with ourselves, you're going to buy something cheap and cheerful no matter what.
Quote by Kikuta
Fuck my ass and call me sally, this thread is killing my brain.

If you're not trolling me into next weekend, why not just buy the same piece of crap amp he's got? Both of you can then turn them down just slightly lower than 11, and you buy a boost for when you're soloing your way to stardom. Simple, cheap, and ever-so-shit-sounding.

I could sit here all day attempting to convince you to buy a decent tube half-stack but let's be honest with ourselves, you're going to buy something cheap and cheerful no matter what.

SHHH
I'm getting the HT5 Series. so SHHH
my god.. if the spider and the mg's are the prevalent amp where you live.. you have my sympathy
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Go to that strange place and get yourself a vox ac15 or a jcm.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Peavey Windsor head (marshall JCM clone)and a 2x12 cab. The Windsor is a tube head and with a boost like a TS-9/Bad Monkey OD it will do thrash just fine. In the US the Windsor is $399 new and you can get a diecent 2x12 with the rest of your $$
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kutless999

+1 and +lol
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by RetroGunslinger
must be troll, no-one is that stupid

+2000000000000000000000000000000
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Cathbard
6505 or a Vyper Tube

+1

I'm not a fan of the 6505 but I don't play much metal anyway.........

Hard to go wrong with the vypyr tube.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by kutless999

there is a reason this guy won noob of the year.

he likes strange.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
WHY IN HELL WOULD YOU EVEN LOOK AT AN MG WHEN YOUR PICE RANGE IS $500-750?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! MY AMP KICKS SERIOUS ASS, MURDERS ANY MG/SPIDER, AND I GOT IT FOR AROUND $380.

Look at VOX NIGHT TRAIN 50W
Egnator
Really any thing else in that range will brutally rape a MG/Spider in the eye.
Real advice:

-$500-750 gets you a serious gigging amp in the used market, no problem.
-Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory so the postal service and such delivers to you.

Forget Solid State amps entirely (ESPECIALLY the ones you were considering ), you're inside tube budget. There's a lot of options in that price range with a whole range of tone/voicing. Tube amps are considerably louder than SS as well when cranked, a 10W tube amp will be louder than a 100W SS going through the same speakers. Some of the first things that come to mind are...

-Jet City JCA50/100 used and a decent 2x12 cab.
-Peavey 5150/6505 combo
-Peavey VTM
-Peavey Classic 50
-Marshall DSL 50/100
-Randall RG50T
-Older Mesa combo (DC3, Subway Rocket, etc)
-Carvin V3
-Plus many many more. The used market is your friend and you can acquire a serious rig within your budget. Wave goodbye to SS amps
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by Flux'D
Real advice:

-Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory so the postal service and such delivers to you.

Forget Solid State amps entirely (ESPECIALLY the ones you were considering ), you're inside tube budget. There's a lot of options in that price range with a whole range of tone/voicing. Tube amps are considerably louder than SS as well when cranked, a 10W tube amp will be louder than a 100W SS going through the same speakers. Some of the first things that come to mind are...

-Jet City JCA50/100 used and a decent 2x12 cab.
-Peavey 5150/6505 combo
-Peavey VTM
-Peavey Classic 50
-Marshall DSL 50/100
-Randall RG50T
-Older Mesa combo (DC3, Subway Rocket, etc)
-Carvin V3
-Plus many many more. The used market is your friend and you can acquire a serious rig within your budget. Wave goodbye to SS amps

Reasonable advice, plagued by a single nonsense statement...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Flux'D
Real advice:

ummm NO.. for cheap SS amps ..this might very well be true but not all SS are cheap,weak and have shitty/thin distortions and not all tube amps are great and sound wonderful and are a hard-on to play through...

use what works regardless of how it produces sound

Id put my head against the best tube amps.. I have that much faith in its brute power..Id like to see a 10 watt tube amp hang with my RG.. The RG100 would give that 10 watt a cardiac arrest in its attempt to keep up
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Leave it to UG to jump over one tiny, unimportant detail in an otherwise informative post

Quote by Mufassa
ummm NO.. for cheap SS amps ..this might very well be true but not all SS are cheap,weak and have shitty/thin distortions and not all tube amps are great and sound wonderful and are a hard-on to play through...

Dude, chillax. Did I say all SS amps were shit? I owned a JC120 for a good while, it doesn't get better than that for SS cleans. Did I say all tube amps were "great and sound wonderful and are a hard-on to play through"? Picovalves are terrible amps, along with many other tube concoctions. But there's wayyyyyyyy more quality tube amps than there are SS.
Id put my head against the best tube amps.. I have that much faith in its brute power..Id like to see a 10 watt tube amp hang with my RG.. The RG100 would give that 10 watt a cardiac arrest in its attempt to keep up

The RG100 is an alright metal amp . I can think of 10 other Randalls that do metal better, it's not the end-all SS metal amp by a longshot. And the loudest SS amp I've ever heard in my life was a Sunn Beta Lead, bar none.

Have you played a 10W tube amp before? The difference in volume between a 10W, 20W, and 40W tube is all pretty negligible. They're all ****ing loud cranked. Besides, what does this have to do with ANYTHING? Chillax dude
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Leave it to UG to jump over one tiny, unimportant detail in an otherwise informative post

Dude, chillax. Did I say all SS amps were shit? I owned a JC120 for a good while, it doesn't get better than that for SS cleans. Did I say all tube amps were "great and sound wonderful and are a hard-on to play through"? Picovalves are terrible amps, along with many other tube concoctions. But there's wayyyyyyyy more quality tube amps than there are SS.

you might of not said it no many words but you implied it like a MF'er.. im sorry i took you for a tube snob

Perhaps there are.. and the JC 120 is legendary for it cleans.. we all know this

The RG100 is an alright metal amp . I can think of 10 other Randalls that do metal better, it's not the end-all SS metal amp by a longshot. And the loudest SS amp I've ever heard in my life was a Sunn Beta Lead, bar none.

Have you played a 10W tube amp before? The difference in volume between a 10W, 20W, and 40W tube is all pretty negligible. They're all ****ing loud cranked. Besides, what does this have to do with ANYTHING? Chillax dude

Loudest amp i ever heard was a Ampeg v-4

uh and the RG might of been marketed for the Metal market but it can do other styles.. granted...not the most versatile amp though but i don't just play metal..

and WTF do you mean The difference in volume between a 10W, 20W, and 40W tube is all pretty negligible. They're all ****ing loud cranked. Besides, what does this have to do with ANYTHING?..

You are the one that made the idiotic comment that a 10 watt tube is louder than a 100 watt SS amp.. not enough face palm to go around for such a comment....Perhaps if you compared a quality 10watt tube amp to a 90's crate.. maby you would be correct.. LOL

Ok thread got derailed .. back on track we go
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107

Or

Same out come, different method.

Your call TS.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6