Help! I'm making my own tele and I've bought everything except from pickups. Can you suggest something good but not very expensive? I consider buing fender pickups. What do you say?
i'm building a tele too i haven't finished so i don't know exactly what my pickups sound like but i got them from vanson guitar parts in the uk same place i bought my neck the seem really good quality. i think they only have an ebay store though.
so, much, wrong, with, post.....

what type of music do you play?
what's your budget?
what's your amp?

humbuckers or singles?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i find GFS pickups are pretty good, and very cheap too - you can get them from guitarfetish.com

edit: but yeah, answer jenny's questions and then someone can give you a much more specific and helpful answer
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 5, 2012,
Bare Knuckle The Yardbird Pickups. Absolutely amazing pickups and they aren't extremely expensive either but they definately arent cheap. fender texas specials would also be decent.
Since you're going through the trouble of making your own, don't you think it'd be a good idea to wait for until you can buy the perfect pickups? It's a shame if you would end up liking the 'not very expensive' pickups for only a short time.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Quote by cip 123
i'm building a tele too i haven't finished so i don't know exactly what my pickups sound like but i got them from vanson guitar parts in the uk same place i bought my neck the seem really good quality. i think they only have an ebay store though.

I bought a neck from there, they're great for the money. Make sure you check the dimensions though, I saw that they'd written 'Tele style' or something like that on the ebay listing for the neck I bought, and I foolishly assumed it would fit my Fender Telecaster body that I got fairly recently. Annoyingly, the dimensions didn't match. That'll teach me for not checking the bloody dimensions before ordering. I've now resorted to sending it back, and getting a hideous £20 neck, just so I can play it until I can afford either a genuine Fender neck, or have one made.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Feb 5, 2012,
^yeah i got a warmoth body and the vanson neck, i just thought the dimensions on british and american bodes and necks were different. i just sanded mine down.
Quote by cip 123
^yeah i got a warmoth body and the vanson neck, i just thought the dimensions on british and american bodes and necks were different. i just sanded mine down.

I considered filing the neck pocket, to make it the extra 2mm or so wider, but I didn't want to be left with an 'overhang' in the cutaway. Really annoying that the Vanson neck didn't fit, I've only got my own stupidity to blame though, for not reading the dimensions.

Quote by itamar100
Bare Knuckle The Yardbird Pickups. Absolutely amazing pickups and they aren't extremely expensive.

If only I had the kind of money not to consider BKP expensive.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by itamar100
Bare Knuckle The Yardbird Pickups. Absolutely amazing pickups and they aren't extremely expensive either.
What? Bare Knuckle are pretty much the most expensive pickups you can get outside of a complete custom wind or those zephyr silver Seymour Duncans.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If your in the US GFS pickups from www.guitarfetish.com are very nice for the price, as are GuitarHeads pickups.

If your in Europe, look at Iron Gear pickups.

These are probably the best bang for buck pickups around most single pickups are $30ish in price for singles, and $50ish for tele/strat sets.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MrFlibble
What? Bare Knuckle are pretty much the most expensive pickups you can get outside of a complete custom wind or those zephyr silver Seymour Duncans.

no, bare knuckle tele pickups arent "that" expensive. in comparison with their humbuckers or single coils theyre really cheap.
they cost only slightly more than fender pickups.
Bareknuckle makes a pretty good line overall, but they're never the best at anything imo.

The best tele replacement pickups, imo, are Don Mares or Seymour Duncan Custom Shop.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2012,
Tele Hot Rails?
Lace Sensors for Tele?
Little '59?
Dimarzio Chopper T/Tone Zone?
Fender Noiseless Tele Pickups?
^y0 or the quarter-pound.

i never understood, why guys even bother to make a thread, only to
post the most vague op ever, then ignore responses.

i mean, yeah sometimes, internet goes down.

but why ask a question, get like 7 responses in an hour,
and nothing....

UG should charge a fee for every thread started.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by cemges
I'd prefer Dimarzio.
DiMarzio's Tele pickups are generally terrible. Single coils of any kind are not something I trust DiMarzio with. Seymour Duncan are about as good as you can get when it comes to Tele pickups.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by al112987
Fixed.

i like their stacked pups over duncan's railed.

*stands behind statement.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by al112987
Fixed.
Eh, I like some of their humbuckers. Note: some. A lot of them aren't great and some are plain copies of each other, or otherwise as near as damn it. But I like when they do something really quite different, like the Humbucker From Hell, EVO 2 and the Crunch Lab.
I want to buy single coils.
I mostly play Radiohead, Beatles and Smiths.
My budget is 200E.
Depends if you want classic tele sound or something else.

I want my tele to be a tele, im gunna slap the nocaster set in it.
I heard the neck pup is a bit like a strat neck pup, so not as dark. But the bridge pup is spot on teletwang.