I have a 75W Peavery Vypyr, I'm aware the usb out on them isn't too great and I have evidence in my recordings. I had to turn the Vypyr usb input level right down to 10 on the laptop to get a signal which wasn't distorted like mad.
I've also tried an SM57 via an M Audio Fast Track USB and have a similar awful sound, almost dull with no life despite the amp sounding great.
My other options are amp headphone out to laptop mic input or maybe headphone out from the M Audio into the laptop mic input but I haven't tried that config yet.
The drums from my Roland SPD-S (SPD-S out to laptop mic in) sound great, no problems at all, it's just the dam guitar giving me problems.
I've also read the M Audio fast track has a very bad pre amp which means I'm getting a low signal from the SM57., when I turn up the input level it starts clipping at around 3/4.
So, how can improve my sound?
Alternatively, what is a good set up to record my amp onto a laptop without spending a shed load of £££'s

For the record, both clean and distorted guitar sounds are bad
Tbh it's probably the vyper. It's an entry level modelling amp so you can't really expect a great sound out of it, it's not going to have the dynamics that a tube amp is gonna have. Can you post a clip of your guitar sound? Where are you positioning the mic on the speaker?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm running into the same problem but on a different grade, I guess. I'm using a TASCAM US-800 audio interface and using Sony Acid Music Studio 8. My mics are bad for guitar but still sound decent (CM217, good for drum overheads. We use them for guitar and bass for lack of better mics). My problem is that my distorted guitar doesn't sound like it has any body, like it is just stuck on the wall. I tried boosting the bass, adding reverb, and micking the outer rim of the cone, and nothing seemed to work. My clean guitar however sounds amazing (after adding slight reverb and chorus from my pedal board and amp). My setup (as far as software) is about $300-$500, which would be about £190-£320. My amp is my grandmothers old one (VOX Berkeley Solid State Edition II) and I use a Boss MT-2 for distortion and an Ibanez CF-7 for my chorus.

For your sound, try placing the mic back a bit and try different areas of the cone (center for highs, outer part for lows).
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
Quote by ChemicalFire
Tbh it's probably the vyper. It's an entry level modelling amp so you can't really expect a great sound out of it, it's not going to have the dynamics that a tube amp is gonna have. Can you post a clip of your guitar sound? Where are you positioning the mic on the speaker?

I can get a great sound from the amp it's getting that onto the laptop which is the problem.
At the moment I put the mic about an inch off centre and maybe an inch or two in front pointing straight to it. Hope that makes sense lol.
My first insrument is drums so I'm better at micing bass drums than amps to be honest.
My feeling is it's the IO unit or my usb ports but I ain't done enough tests to prove it yet.

I had a great clean sound for a rhythm section I was doing, through the amp it was superb but on the laptop it sounded like I was playing a toy guitar lol.
Quote by death eater

For your sound, try placing the mic back a bit and try different areas of the cone (center for highs, outer part for lows).

Thanks for that mate, I'll give it mic placement a shot however I noticed even with the sm57 right up to the amp the signal to the usb interface was really poor.
I have some Behringer condensor mics which I used for live drumming gigs, I may try one of those through phantom power.

Annoying thing is my mate gets an absolutely awesome recording tone using a good condensor mic and an Alesis usb mixer.
Both of your problems is that you're using shit amps. The original Vox Solid State amps were just shitty and don't get me started on how many threads I've seen on "Why does my Vypyr sound like shit when I mic it?"
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
The original Vox Solid State amps were just shitty ...

This amp is honestly a beautiful amp for cleans. Distortion? Yeah it sucks. Because it wasn't built for distortion. If it was meant for distortion, they would have given it a distortion channel, don't you think?
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
I won't deny its good for cleans but when I want cleans, I'll reach for a Fender Twin Reverb which I could also use for solid distorted and driven sounds with a Tube Screamer before I reach for a vintage Vox Solid State.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks for those who gave advice on this and other threads, I've now got a much improved sound.
Did some recording tests using usb, headphone out and sm57 via the audio interface.
The usb and headphone out were better but not great at the same time, the sm57 recording was brilliant. It seems I didn't have the mic close enough to the amp, I also had it around halfway across which gave me the best sound IMO.
Funny how just a few inches nearer the amp can make such a difference, lesson learned.