How does a Peavy Valveking compare to a Bugera 333, 333XL, 6260, 1990?
If you played them both please let me hear your opinion. Which is better for stuff like Metallica?
I had a Valveking 100 + Marshall 4x12 for a while. It was a decent amp that would lend itself quite well to classic rock and 80's rock/metal. The only thing I didn't like about it was the volume control- there was a very steep incline to the volume where playing at "bedroom" volume was not an option without tossing a volume pedal in the effects loop.

The Bugeras have a different voicing with much tighter and pronounced distortion. I don't have much experience with them unfortunately.

It really depends on what sound you're going for.
I liked the Valveking, very nice amplifier, very beefy. There is a sharp incline though, so you'll have to be very ginger, or just blast your ears off
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
They are all cheap amps that sound pretty good at what they do. I almost bought a VK100 6 yrs ago, but there was something that I personaly didn't like about the tone I was getting. I have seen several guitarists that sounded amazing with a VK, one had the "Mesa" mod done to it (very big sounding).

I have a 333 that I think is very nice, very versitile also. I have had a few minor issues with it, like the input jack messed up. They use a very diff kind of PC mount jack so I used a Switchcraft jack to replace it, because I could not find a proper replacement

If it was my choice I'd have to go 333/333xl or skip over the Bugeras and VK and go for a Jet ity JCA 50h
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bugeras are nice, but the build quality is hit and miss. Half the owners never have a problem (that was my experience ), the other half aren't so lucky. Vk are cool amps, but I don't think the sound would compare to a 333xl or 6260. What type of Metallica tone are you after? Like puppets, load, which album? The more specific you are, the easier it is for us to help you.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
bugera will be a better overall amp by design and sound quality. the build will be on par or slightly lower (peavey makes tanks).

for the record, my V22 has held up for 3 years and honestly i think thier heads are made sturdier than their combos.

my v22 is FAR from quality build. it is ACCEPTABLE for what is it and what i want out of it. it will hold up and do its job, but chances are most amps in a guitar center than are tube amps over 400 bucks will be built better.

i am very happy with my v22 any only find it got better with age (breaking in) and it is a very versatile amp. good effects are needed to enhance the sounds you want to get (i run a multitude of pedals, especially and EQ).

but i thought i would have sold it by now. nah. im keeping it around.
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by dementiacaptain
Bugeras are nice, but the build quality is hit and miss. Half the owners never have a problem (that was my experience ), the other half aren't so lucky.

Being a Bugera owner I can justify this post. I have seen several Bugera amps quit on stage while in use, but I have never had too much of an issue with mine that would ever keep it from working properly. I will not ever gig without a backup amp while using my Bugera because of this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's basically what you're asking:

A cheap but reliable peavey head
or
A cheap spinoff of higher quality peavey heads, and rolling a dice on whether or not it's going to break down on you. Breaking down can be a variety of: Lights not working, switches not working, parts burning out, being dead out of the box, things breaking off, or being perfectly fine.
The Peavey can do Metallica very well however it sounds alot better with an overdrive pedal boosting it and an eq pedal, if you look up Joyo they sell cheap pedals which are actually very good for the price. The Bugera's are cheap peavey rip off's and have been known to be unreliable but I heard somewhere on here that they've fixed them now. I don't know if thats true though. If you want to play heavier stuff though then get a Bugera but if its just Metallica you play then I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the valveking but an Overdrive and EQ pedal will help it alot and new pre amp valves which are very cheap. Also if you decide on a VK then I wouldn't buy one brand new, you can get them alot cheaper used.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I would go for the VK for your wants.

In the case of the Bugera, the 333XL would be the next runner up. I don't think anything else listed should really be considered.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Iynyrd
How does a Peavy Valveking compare to a Bugera 333, 333XL, 6260, 1990?
If you played them both please let me hear your opinion. Which is better for stuff like Metallica?

Welcome to UG.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Quote by blything09
The Peavey can do Metallica very well however it sounds alot better with an overdrive pedal boosting it and an eq pedal, if you look up Joyo they sell cheap pedals which are actually very good for the price. The Bugera's are cheap peavey rip off's and have been known to be unreliable but I heard somewhere on here that they've fixed them now. I don't know if thats true though. If you want to play heavier stuff though then get a Bugera but if its just Metallica you play then I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the valveking but an Overdrive and EQ pedal will help it alot and new pre amp valves which are very cheap. Also if you decide on a VK then I wouldn't buy one brand new, you can get them alot cheaper used.

Like I said earlier, it depends on what Metallica sound he wants. They have changed their tone quite a bit through the years
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.