Hey guys. This is killing me. See, I just can't get a really good sound when recording. I'd like to see if it's my fault, or my gear's.

The main problem are the solos (by this I mean almost anything on the 1st and 2nd string). It's TOO TREBLY! Like, there's a sharp line between high notes. I have a Marshall JVM410, and although I can't rock it to high volume, it sounds ****ing fantastic. The stuff I play in the high register all sounds good and smooth and stuff, but recorded, no... Is my problem the fact that I have a shitty Cobalt co4 microphone (a bad copy of SM57?) and a Fast Track PRO? I don't believe I have such a hearing problem so that I hear stuff bad in a live situation and hear it how it really sounds in a recording?

I dig Laiho's tone, so yeah, treble and presence is pretty high, but it all sounds fantastic to me. I put my ear literally on the speaker grid on my amp and yeah, it did sound a bit more trebly and stuff but not like on the recordings. It seems that being more than 0.5 metres away from the amp makes it sound all good.

Is the recording gear my problem? I really don't want it to turn out that those years of practice were for this. Makes me feel terrible atm. :/

EDIT: I tried changing the amp settings to low treble and presence etc. but it really did almost nothing to the higher register. I mean, Alexi is really sloppy these days, but even when he plays something sloppy it can sound smoother than this. I actually usually play without my amp, and I always make sure I'm playing smoothly. Arpeggios and stuff sound much better on the recordings.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Last edited by Smaratelj at Feb 5, 2012,
Try to move your microphone around, it has a tremendous effect on your recording sound. The closer you put it towards the center of your speaker the more trebly and fizzy it will become - and vice versa. With that hint in mind you might be able to fix your problem.
Thanks, I'll try that again later. I actually played with that and honestly, in my case there was almost no difference in sound. :/
It's a combo, so is there a difference in what speaker I mic?

Any other suggestions are accepted!

Also, keep in mind that I don't use any effects, or stuff when I record. I don't mix or EQ or something when I listen to it. Should I just save up for a SM57? Will it make a difference?

Aand, the mic output is quite low. I don't know why. I put the input on my Fast Track to max, and I still have to normalize to get around +10db. Is this normal?

EDIT: And when I get to it, I'll try moving the mic quite farther than usual from the amp. Maybe then I'll get something better.

EDIT: And if anyone wants, I'll record some high register stuff and upload it to dropbox or something.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Last edited by Smaratelj at Feb 5, 2012,
Okay I uploaded 3 samples. Please, forgive me for a bit of sloppy stuff because atm for us in Croatia it's really cold (by our standards) and I didn't even warm up one bit, so... This was some stuff from the top of my head done in a rush.

This is about an inch from the grill, center of the speaker. Horrid IMO
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60686595/untitled.mp3

This is on the edge of the speaker, about an inch from the grill.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60686595/untitled2.mp3

This is on the edge of the speaker, a bit further.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60686595/untitled3.mp3

Cheers!
Quote by YouTube user