Back in the ancient times ( like...dunno, think Leonardo da Vinci ) artists where not rich and wealthy like they are now, they were simply taken under the wing of powerful men who would take care of them ( kings, ect....)

so this brings up the question of "the value of art"
do you think something like music, paintings, ect... should have their quality estimated by things such as money?

for this leads to the creation of art only in the hope of it having a grand value.

I'm not really trying to make a point here...i would just like the pit to give their opinions

maybe we could create a new value that would estimate art...Pitmonkeymoney ?
I appreciate art, but I'm not gonna spend lots of money on it. If it came down to it, I'd just make my own.
I'm going to do this in points:

1) People who genuinely love art are willing to spend huge amounts of money on it. However, most art collectors nowadays are just investing and are fairly visually illiterate.
2) Value is subjective, and money is only one dimension of the semantics of "value."
3) Some of the best artists are neither well known or rich. Like how you get catchy and generic music which is only produced to make money, many mainstream artists are worshipped when they aren't overly deep or amazing. For example, Ansel Adams, Henri Cartier Bresson, Ben Heine.

EDIT: Yeah, him too. His early work is alright, mind you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Banjocal
I'm going to do this in points:

1) People who genuinely love art are willing to spend huge amounts of money on it. However, most art collectors nowadays are just investing and are fairly visually illiterate.
2) Value is subjective, and money is only one dimension of the semantics of "value."
3) Some of the best artists are neither well known or rich. Like how you get catchy and generic music which is only produced to make money, many mainstream artists are worshipped, when they aren't overly deep or amazing. For example, Ansel Adams, Henri Cartier Bresson, Ben Heine.

and banksy?
Quote by Lateralus13
Leo da Vinci was like 400-500 years ago, certainly not ancient.

cool,lets say 400-500 years ago then.