41 45%
TWYNDYLLYNGS
7 8%
Voters: 91.
Page 1 of 2
Y can sometimes be a vowel but w cant
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
in what language?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Neither are vowels.

If I'm describing something and I use the word "an" then there's no way I can use a word starting with Y after it.

An apple
An azure sky
An indigo platypus
An yellow car... SAY WHAT!?

And that's my reasoning

Ashley
Y counts as a vowel in pig latin, so that means it is. W as a vowel is straight-up stupid and you should feel bad for even asking about it.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, but you'd say "an hour", so does that mean "H" is a vowel???
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
'Merica.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Vowels are sounds, not letters. There are words where Y and W stand for or are part of a vowel sound.
Y, sure, but W? What on earth?
Y can be used as a vowel as it supplies the connective sound a vowel has between or following consonants. Example, fly, gym or dryer. In most cases, it acts like the letter I which as we all know is also a vowel, hence it takes on the role of a vowel.
W on the other hand has NEVER done this. Do you see words like "hambwrger" or "vwgina"? No, no you don't. I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that people even considered W to be a vowel from.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Y, sure, but W? What on earth?
Y can be used as a vowel as it supplies the connective sound a vowel has between or following consonants. Example, fly, gym or dryer. In most cases, it acts like the letter I which as we all know is also a vowel, hence it takes on the role of a vowel.
W on the other hand has NEVER done this. Do you see words like "hambwrger" or "vwgina"? No, no you don't. I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that people even considered W to be a vowel from.

Cow.

The 'w' there isn't a consonant, it's part of the vowel sound.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by lushacrous
EDIT: ^ Yeah, but you'd say "an hour", so does that mean "H" is a vowel???

The "H" is silent, so the first letter you pronounce is the "o" and that's why you use an instead of a

That's how I see it anyway

Quote by isaac_bandits

No one cares about stupid faggot Welsh language

Ashley
Last edited by BlackLuster at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by L2112Lif
It is, but that doesn't make it a vowel. Its function is as a consonant... An omelet is made of eggs, but I can't use an omelet to bake a cake.

I don't know what anything is anymore.
cat
Y is a vowel in swedish, we don't use W. I don't see why Y shouldn't be a vowel in english as well.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
W is certainly not a vowel. Maybe in Welsh. I know it's made up of "ooh" and "uh" sounds but it just doesn't work as a vowel. Y, on the other hand, can act as one.
Quote by L2112Lif
I'll take that as a criticism.

It isn't. I'm just really confused right now

Oh I just thought of something. If you say "oo-aa-ter" it sounds the same as "water"
cat
Quote by guitarxo
It isn't. I'm just really confused right now

Oh I just thought of something. If you say "oo-aa-ter" it sounds the same as "water"

No, you sound like a farmer saying "ter"
A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y!

W can go fuck itself with the other consonants.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by isaac_bandits

Well I'll be damned

But that's Welsh isn't it?

Quote by whalepudding
Cow.

The 'w' there isn't a consonant, it changes the vowel.

It's kind of a strange consonant. The ending of "cow" words as the beginning of the "wuh" sound a W makes, hence "shower", where the full "wuh" sound is complete (sorry this sounds completely retarded but I'm trying my best). An example is whale (or wail if you think the h has any importance). Speaking of H, it too is a funny letter where it can act kind of in the same way Ws can (hour as someone else said, words ending in ah or eh etc.) What you're saying makes sense though, and it changed my opinion that W being even remotely considered a vowel was stupid, so I guess I should have minced my words a bit. Still don't consider it a vowel though.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Dan_5893
No, you sound like a farmer saying "ter"

what

You have to say the oo and the aa really fast
cat
Welsh is not a real language therefore w is never a real vowel.
Welsh happened from a bunch of drunks painting names on signs for railroad stations. And then they pretend to be able to read them. Go troll somebody else Wales!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by isaac_bandits

Let me go on record as saying that, outside of the new version of Doctor Who, nobody has ever given a shit about Wales.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by BlackLuster
Neither are vowels.

If I'm describing something and I use the word "an" then there's no way I can use a word starting with Y after it.

An apple
An azure sky
An indigo platypus

And that's my reasoning

Ashley

That's just stupid reasoning. But I'll humor you. What about a word like Ypresian? You wouldn't say "a Ypresian something or other," now would you?

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Y exists in the quantum state of being both a consonant and a vowel until you collapse it into one or the other by using it in a word.

srsly though, they're both approximal consonants, which, when voiced, can be used as vowels in a pinch.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Reisgar42
Let me go on record as saying that, outside of the new version of Doctor Who, nobody has ever given a shit about Wales.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by BlackLuster
Neither are vowels.

An apple
An azure sky
An indigo platypus

And that's my reasoning

Ashley

Thats a pretty bad example because Y doesn't function as a vowel in the word yellow.
Quote by MidniteHaze

That actually makes sense. I guess W can sometimes be a vowel. For those of you who don't want to click the link, the word "claw" uses w as a vowel, since it is there to affect the sound of the "a"
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
W is not seldom a vowel.

look at the word vowel. it's part of the vowel sound

word
wow
work
how
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Page 1 of 2