Page 1 of 2
Is this generally considered a negative thing? I know people say that you shouldn't look at you guitar the whole time while you're playing live, but at my gig I moved around plenty and still looked at my guitar a lot.

If you have technical crazy parts it makes sense, but should I work on not looking at my guitar while I'm playing, at least most of the time?

What do you guys do?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Nah man. Looking cool is first priority, sounding good is second.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I sing, so it's hard to look at my fretboard at the same time.

It's more engaging if you're looking into the crowd, unless you're in a more artsy fartsy shoegaze band.
The more you practice the songs you're playing, the more your muscles will remember where they have to be to play the notes, the less you'll have to look down.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Sorry, I'm too busy jumping off of shit and running around to look at my guitar
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You can glance at your fret board or the dots on the side of the neck without looking all "wat da fuk fret do I play at?" If you suddenly and deliberately glare down at your fret board it makes it look like you done goofed big time.

You could practice your songs without looking at your fret board. I say do that every day for a week and you'll improve big time. I know beginning upright bass players that practice in pitch dark. Forces them to use their ear to know if they are right or wrong instead of their eyes. But that's more of an intonation thing.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 5, 2012,
Depends on what kind of music you are playing.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Yeah, I saw your grunge band, staring at your shoes on stage, wearing that dirty flannel shirt,
when you gonna learn dirtball, you just can't f**k with Twisted Sister.
Quote by blake1221

This.
I'm forced to play standing in front of the mic, looking at the crowd.

But yeah, looking too much at your guitar is not very good, unless you're playing really technical stuff.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's alright if you glance at your guitar a few times while you're playing, but don't be staring at it, the audience doesn't wanna see the top view of your hairdo, they wanna see your beautiful face.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Look at your guitar for solos and what not, everyone does that live (Kirk Hammet) and during normal verses or chorus, you don't have to look down.
I play metal of multiple styles and I have some notey parts at times. I sing in one song so I look at the audience. I look out a lot, but sometimes, especially transitions, I at least glance at my fretboard.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
I usually try and stare at one person so intently that they get freaked out and leave. Probably helps that I perform wearing nothing but my Superman socks
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
as long as it's just like you looking at the neck for a solo or something you're fine but the less you need to look the better
Quote by Paddy McK
I usually try and stare at one person so intently that they get freaked out and leave. Probably helps that I perform wearing nothing but my Superman socks

If I was a good vocalist or had a wireless setup I would totally go and get in people's faces while playing a gig and look all threatening.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Playing stuff like protest the hero and dream theater I have to look at my fretboard for the hard parts, I just make sure I get real close to the crowd so they see my crazy fingers :p
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
I usually just glance down to see where my hand is in relation to the next thing I have to play, if it's at the other end of the neck or something.
When I'm learning stuff I'm sat down with my face about 6 inches away from my left hand anyway, so it gets ingrained in my head.
Quote by thePTOD
If I was a good vocalist or had a wireless setup I would totally go and get in people's faces while playing a gig and look all threatening.

Oh I'd love to do that.
Closest I got was a cable just long enough to let me wander into the 'crowd' at a crappy charity event my band shouldnt've played. They didn't react too well to a hard rock band so I got in people's faces really aggressively whilst banging out some AC/DC. The term 'unenthusiastic but polite applause' springs to mind
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I only look when I have to play a particularly difficult part of a song, otherwise I don't need to.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I just do what's natural and I like to look at the audience too, as well as other musicians... But me; 'I just do 'what's natural.'
Quote by blake1221

It's more engaging if you're looking into the crowd, unless you're in a more artsy fartsy shoegaze band.

It's also acceptable to be a shoegazer if you play in a doom or drone sort of band.
If you are playing Jazz or Classical, it is impossible to play it without looking. Most Metal is pretty simple and lazy even in comparison, so you can get away with it there.
It's more important to play well than to look cool. if you can't do both, look at the guitar. if you're serious about music that is. If you just want to pose you can play something easy and be able to look up anyway.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by AllJudasPriest
If you are playing Jazz or Classical, it is impossible to play it without looking. Most Metal is pretty simple and lazy even in comparison, so you can get away with it there.

When I play jazz or classical, I tend to look at the chord sheet or the score.

But that's just me. And probably everyone else.
Quote by AllJudasPriest

I hope you're joking
]
Quote by falcon1439
I hope you're joking
Not at all, why?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When I play jazz or classical, I tend to look at the chord sheet or the score.

But that's just me. And probably everyone else.
Everyone I know or see playing it, seldom use scores and just play around the feel of it.
I usually look at everyone who's performing with me most of the time, but I do look at my guitar a lot. Then again I'm not very good at playing music, so don't take my word for it.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Everyone I know or see playing it, seldom use scores and just play around the feel of it.

If you played Four Seasons 'around the feel of it' rather than the score, you will be out of that orchestra before you get to the end of bar 16.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Not at all, why?Everyone I know or see playing it, seldom use scores and just play around the feel of it.

I thought you meant playing an actual song.
]
Quote by falcon1439
I thought you meant playing an actual song.
When I was referring to Metal? No, I stand by what I wrote. In comparison to Classical and Jazz, Metal does not take a whole lot of mental effort. Most rhythm sections in Metal consist of very basic patterns that you can play in your sleep, thus, you do not have to really pay attention. Metal takes a little bit more physical energy to perform than Jazz, though not by much. However the mental effort put into performing Metal pales in comparison to Jazz or Classical.
I don't really look at the guitar too much. I just glance at it if there's an awkward chord or if I'm busy melting faces while I shred,

No I'm joking. I don't shred. I'm a decent human being.
Quote by blake1221

+Uno
Looking at the fretboard is fine, breh. What really makes you look like a knob is when you constantly look back and forth between your fretting hand and your picking hand.

Quote by AllJudasPriest
When I was referring to Metal? No, I stand by what I wrote. In comparison to Classical and Jazz, Metal does not take a whole lot of mental effort. Most rhythm sections in Metal consist of very basic patterns that you can play in your sleep, thus, you do not have to really pay attention. Metal takes a little bit more physical energy to perform than Jazz, though not by much. However the mental effort put into performing Metal pales in comparison to Jazz or Classical.

What an ignorant generalization. All three genres of very simple tunes, as well as very difficult ones.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by StewieSwan
Looking at the fretboard is fine, breh. What really makes you look like a knob is when you constantly look back and forth between your fretting hand and your picking hand.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever looking at my fretting hand while playing live
Page 1 of 2