Hi all!

I've got a question about the fuses in a bass head of mine. I own a Harke 5500 bass head. Bought it new 6months ago. Okay, so the other night I was playing it and it just turned off. My first thought was to check the fuses and they were indeed burnt.

So, I grabbed the manuel and it said 10amp fuses. Went to the store, bought some 10amp fuses, get home, pulled out my burnt fuses and noticed that they say 12amps. Didn't really pay attention to that before seeing as I was only looking to see if they were burnt out.

I'm a little confused at how and why there are 12amp fuses in a head that rated for 10amp fuses. Am I missing something here? (I'm not terribly savvy in how gear functions on a technical level) Is that something normal?

I haven't put in the new fuses and tried it yet because i'm a little afraid too. Figured I would consult you more knowledgeable bunch first.

Also if this is in the wrong forum, i'll be happy to move it. Didn't know where else to post but in the bass section.

Thank you for any help.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Last edited by DefRebelOrange at Feb 5, 2012,
well you bought it used, so this may have happened to the previous owner, and he put a 12amp fuse in it. He may have only been able to find a 12 and not a 10 amp fuse. But he may have done this to keep it from continuing to blow 10 amp fuses if there was a problem.

EDIT: just realized I miss read you bought it new. The Hartke may have changed the specs?
If that was in there new, I'd put the same back in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Robbgnarly
well you bought it used, so this may have happened to the previous owner, and he put a 12amp fuse in it. He may have only been able to find a 12 and not a 10 amp fuse. But he may have done this to keep it from continuing to blow 10 amp fuses if there was a problem.

EDIT: just realized I miss read you bought it new. The Hartke may have changed the specs?
If that was in there new, I'd put the same back in it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess i'll probably go buy some 12amp and just put it back the way it was. I hadn't any problems with it before hand. I was just confused as to why the manuel said 10amps and there were 12amps in it. I was always under the assumption that you should never put in higher amp fuses than what the amp is rated for. Perhaps that isn't true.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3