I'd say Steve lynch of autograph, Tom Keifer and Jeff Lebar of Cinderella, Nuno Bettencourt and Steve Steven.
Can't think of 5 off the top of my head, but Billy Duffy is definitely at the top of the list. It's not possible to give him enough credit.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Great list. It's awesome that you mentioned Hurricane in there, definitely one of my favorite bands, and Jake E. Lee is a beast. I would've mentioned Benny and Brent from WildSide though, maybe as an honorable mention or something. Great list otherwise!
will probably get slammed, but what about CC Deville, yeah its straight on bubble gum hair rock, but his riffs were upbeat and jammable
Harry Cody from Shotgun Messiah, fantastic guitarist from a great but sadly long forgotten band. Just listen to the Explorer or Dont Care About Nothin for examples.

George Lynch never got as much recogniton as he should have, as good as Van Halen in my opinion and used lots of unusual chords and riffs as well as having solos that were technically excellent whilst remaining catchy as hell

People also slag off CC Deville far too much, wrote countless great riffs and some really catchy solos too.

Traci guns on the first two La Guns albums was also brilliant, just listen to the end solo of Rip and Tear

Think thats me done for the moment lol, good list btw
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
See, your list is for Hair Metal. The thread says 80' Guitarists, not 80's Hair Metal Guitarists.

So here's my list:

- Peter Buck

- Richard Thompson

- D Boon

- Adrian Belew

- David Byrne/Jerry Harrison
Thank you for putting Jake E. Lee on there. He definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
The only reason I didn't include cc deville in my list is because I assumed he was quite well known but otherwise he was a fantastic guitarist.
Quote by Buck's Student
See, your list is for Hair Metal. The thread says 80' Guitarists, not 80's Hair Metal Guitarists.

So here's my list:

- Peter Buck

- Richard Thompson

- D Boon

- Adrian Belew

- David Byrne/Jerry Harrison

Good point, in that case Glenn Tipton, Lars Johansson from Candlemass, Jeff Waters from Annihilator, and Wolf Hoffman from Accept
My Gear:
Bugera 6260
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Roxxie Roxx
The only reason I didn't include cc deville in my list is because I assumed he was quite well known but otherwise he was a fantastic guitarist.

You see thats the thing, he is quite well known, but everyone seems to think he's shit for some reason, although to be fair he doesnt seem much good live.
My Gear:
Bugera 6260
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
You see thats the thing, he is quite well known, but everyone seems to think he's shit for some reason, although to be fair he doesnt seem much good live.

How can anyone think poorly of CC? He has a huge talent can play very well and has wrote some the most awesome solos and riffs ever! Listen to the riff in Fallen Angel and the solo in Life goes on is beautiful.
vito bratta(white lion)
jake e lee(ozzy, badlands)
cc deville(poison)
phil collen(def leppard)
warren demartini/robin crosby(ratt)
i know warren does get some credit but robin never did, he was such a great rhythm player

lets not forget brad whitford of aerosmith . He is a much better guitarist than Joe Perry, does leads on more songs than you think, is an awsome rhythm player and really gets no credit. Even Joe acknowledged that in an interview
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Feb 7, 2012,
I definitely say Steven Stephens and Jake E. Lee. The first that came to mind though was Criss Olivia.
Jake E Lee makes it so often in the most underrated lists, he's becoming annoyingly overrated. But I have to admit I've never enough of his mind capturing phrasing.

Reb Beach ? Aw come on. A decent fellow, but Winger is really Van Halen rehashed and played with a different talent.

Somehow, I believe Al Pitrelli should have made it in the list instead.

Runner up, the nicest, loud riff-laden choir boy, Mick Mars.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 28, 2012,
Good list, can't argue with any of them. I agree with the guys who've said Warren DeMartini & Billy Duffy, two of my favorites. Steve Stevens is great, too bad his talent got suppressed in Billy Idols music. I can't really agree that George Lynch is underrated. He was constantly on the cover of every guitar magazine back in the day. I could almost agree w/Nuno, but Extreme came in at the very end of the 80's. Still he's an amazing player.

A few guys that no has mentioned yet;

Steve Lukather - Check out his website sometime, you'll be amazed at how many recordings he's played on. Luke can rip with the best of them. He's got chops, tone, can write great songs, and he can sing. I want to be just like him when/if I grow up.

Frank Hannon, of Tesla. Not a shredder by any means, but a really tasteful player. And Tesla wasn't as cheesy as Motley Crue or Poison.

Vivian Campbell's work w/Dio was really good. Not sure why he's sat on his hands since then.

Matthias Jabs of Scorpions. He always seemed to have been overshadowed by former Scorpion guitarists Michael Schenker and Uli Roth, but Jabs is a great player in his own right. Scorpions never broke through with either of the other two, so there's something to be said about how memorable his playing was.

Anyway...just one old guys opinion.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by maker's marked

A few guys that no has mentioned yet;

Steve Lukather -

Ha ha ha ha. I was soooo tempted. The problem is, if you call up "Luke", how can you possibly avoid bringing up Larry Carlton ?

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Last edited by ColdGin at Mar 23, 2012,
Jake E Lee
Vito Bratta
Bruce Boullet
Paul Gilbert (still deserves more credit)
Jason Becker
That era had so many great players! My top 5 would change every time I thought about it. Jake E Lee is definitely one of the best guitarist around! Warren De Martini is another! Alex Skolnick from Testament, Vinnie Moore, or even Phil Collen of Def Leopard - who is actually a bad ass player!
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"
my top five 80's guitarist that dont get enough credit would be...jake e. lee,nick bowcott, reb beach,Adrian Smith,Glenn Tipton

out of all the guitarist i mentioned.. Reb Beach is an odd choice for me as I cant stand the band WINGER
in saying that.. there is a bunch of guitarist that were probably better that no one will ever know their name
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
For me it's Warren DeMartini. I rarely see him mentioned in the conversations about best shredders and he has amazing tone, very fluid style and sense of melody. Plus his band had much better songs, attitude and "balls" than 99% of the dime a dozen late 80s hair bands.

I love this solo!
Quote by bulby
For me it's Warren DeMartini. I rarely see him mentioned in the conversations about best shredders and he has amazing tone, very fluid style and sense of melody. Plus his band had much better songs, attitude and "balls" than 99% of the dime a dozen late 80s hair bands.

I love this solo!

Excellent solo! Thanks for sharing! He is one of the greats!
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"
Oz Fox & Michael Sweet from Stryper never get enough credit, probably because they were in a 'Christian' band, but they are extremely talented.

I can't disagree with anyone in your list though...
Quote by Supernaut2k
Great list, but it needs Criss Olivia on there

+10000000000000000000000000000
Lots of really great mentions: Warren DiMartini, Nuno Bettencourt, Alex Skolnick, Reb Beach, Vito Bratta, Glenn Tipton... There's lots of guys you could mention who could really play and had great command.

I think Steve Morse is continually overlooked. Is there any other guitarist out there more versatile? IMO, I don't think so.

Non shredder, I really dig like Johnny Marr. And going way off, I really like Dominic Miller's guitar work with Sting.

Quote by RetroGunslinger

George Lynch never got as much recogniton as he should have, as good as Van Halen in my opinion and used lots of unusual chords and riffs as well as having solos that were technically excellent whilst remaining catchy as hell

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I think he was well recognized. He was all over guitar magazines in the late 80's early 90's. Though I will agree there was something about his playing that elevated him over the others. Lets be honest, Lynch's playing made Dokken popular. In fact, I recently read he was runner up to Jake E. Lee to play for Ozzy.

Digressing, I saw Lynch Mob last week. Great show. He absolutely killed it!!