I need some examples of television episodes that explore cultural identities, significance or ethical dilemmas dealing with cultural.

An example of what I'm looking for is the episode of Fresh Prince where Will and Carlton are pulled over by racist cop. Also the episode where Carlton isn't accepted into a college fraternity because he isn't "black" enough.

Any help with other television episodes that deal with these issues would be greatly appreciated because I'm drawing a blank right now. Thanks.
If it can be small stuff, like every Curb Your Enthusiasm episode ever. I guess the tourette's one would be pretty good.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
That episode of Red Dwarf where Kryten has to choose whether or not to lie.

Every episode of Friends, ever.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
south park, family or simpsons (especially when the dad joins the army)
The only possible answer is the very first episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Gang Gets Racist.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, when somebody shits in Charlie and Frank's bed and they struggle to find out who it was.
Happens everyday.
I think All In The Family would be a great example. Tons of episodes to pick from. They took on unemployment, racism, sexism, rape, religion, etc.

Great show, too. If it's for school, professors might like that you're pick a classic show, too.
Thanks for the examples so far. I guess it can be expanded to movies too. And the cultural significance doesn't necessarily have to do with race, it can be surroundings and up bringing.

What I really need is a few more instances where a character is forced to reflect upon or question his culture. Or a decision the character makes is defined by his culture.

Another example of what I'm looking for could be in Boy Meets World when Shawn starts hanging around with the other kids from the trailer park and getting into trouble because he thinks that's where he belongs, but Cory tells him it doesn't have to be that way.
Quote by The Madcap
I think All In The Family would be a great example. Tons of episodes to pick from. They took on unemployment, racism, sexism, rape, religion, etc.

Great show, too. If it's for school, professors might like that you're pick a classic show, too.
I just watched an episode of that in one of my classes at school. It's amazing how ahead of its time that show was.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I saw an episode of Clueless once that dealt with drunk driving or, aids, or, something.
Someone died at the end of the episode and they went all serious and spoke to America about 'something' awareness.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Community.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Spartacus.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I saw a Sister, Sister episode about not meeting people on the internet, and when he found out she was twins, he wanted them BOTH to sleep with him/model for him.... That was hot.

To this day that remains one of my fantasies.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 6, 2012,
Many of the original Star Trek episodes are like this. Though lots of the topics are irrelevant now. They often aren't very blatant about it and approach the topic in veiled ways. You have to look beneath the surface to get it.
Father of the Pride dealth with racism on their Thanksgiving episode, with the turkeys and the PJs dealt with poverty and being black, korean or latino.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Harry Potter. True bloods, mudbloods and half bloods.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The episode of Farscape when Crichton returns to Earth with Moya and the aliens, and gets into a massive argument with his dad (a high-up at NASA who is appointed head of extraterrestrial research) about whether the knowledge gained from the aliens should be shared with the world or kept for America alone. From Season 4, called Terra Firma.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
...you're looking for TV programmes about cultural and ethical issues and the top two things you think of are episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Reeeally?

Quote by BlackVoid
Many of the original Star Trek episodes are like this. Though lots of the topics are irrelevant now. They often aren't very blatant about it and approach the topic in veiled ways. You have to look beneath the surface to get it.

Voyager goes about it much better. A really good example of the actual artistic and intellectual merit of sci-fi.
Quote by treborillusion
Father of the Pride dealth with racism on their Thanksgiving episode, with the turkeys and the PJs dealt with poverty and being black, korean or latino.

Or the Moral Orel episode with the Figgerelys (sp?), most of which I cannot repeat because of how racist it is.
coming out is a pretty big theme in buffy.
now extra flamey
Quote by AlexChesters
That's So Raven. Talks about Raven being a victim of racism and Black History Month, not sure which episode!

There was an episode of Family Matters where the same thing happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWhxN3KuHA
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Voyager goes about it much better. A really good example of the actual artistic and intellectual merit of sci-fi.

Ya but Voyager doesn't have Kirk in it. I actually never watched it so I can't comment.
Doctor Who, with the stuff about when it's okay to fight back, what parts of nature we should be allowed to tamper with, how our actions affect the whole universe. That was before Moffat came along, of course...

Some episodes of Community raised some interesting questions about honesty, and supporting people who you disagree with, and interacting with people who are different than you. And while that seems like something that's relevant to children, they proved it's still relevant to mature audiences, too.

A lot of Star Trek TNG. A lot of the episodes centered around Data come to mind.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Because nobody knows more about cultural awareness than this guy.

Chevy Chase ftw.
There was an episode of Sister, Sister that dealt with Black History.... It had Tamera visit prominent black people in African American history... It ended with some girl from the future comming to visit her, before waking up.

I saw this thing on YouTube once where The Dinosaurs (Not the Mama!) done a Marijuana awareness episode... Robbie and his friend were hungry out in the woods, they found a plant, and were so hungry, they decided to eat it, that plant was marijuana! They liked it and Robbie liked it so much, he took the marijauna plant home and they all ate it and became stoners and in the end Earl's boss had the plant and was singing Purple Haze. - Then they spoke to America about Marijuana, and how you shouldn't eat it, and one way to dispose of it was to burn it.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 6, 2012,