ok, so im buying to mics (shure sm57 & sm58) and i need a MIDI to USB audio interface to connect it to my computer and i have a budget of $100 max (i know, its nothing).
ive lloked at the m-audio fast track but its too expensive.

2 inputs is certainly preferable but its unlikely that its possible with such a small budget. please give suggestions.
Go to guitar center and talk to the guys up there, you will have several options for under $100. Just make sure to get an interface and not just 2 midi-usb cables to save money.
Any reason why you're buying both an SM57 and a 58? It's perfectly fine to have both... but if you didn't buy one of them, you would open up your budget to a much better interface.

The SM58 sounds nearly identical (to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference) to the SM57, when you take the grille off. Unless you're planning on using them both at the same time, I'd go with one or the other and pickup a Focusrite Saffire 6 as your interface.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Any reason why you're buying both an SM57 and a 58? It's perfectly fine to have both... but if you didn't buy one of them, you would open up your budget to a much better interface.

The SM58 sounds nearly identical (to the point where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference) to the SM57, when you take the grille off. Unless you're planning on using them both at the same time, I'd go with one or the other and pickup a Focusrite Saffire 6 as your interface.

i may do that then and buy an sm57 at a later stage. thanks.
Quote by MatrixClaw

So you would recommend a Focusrite unit over the M Audio?
I'm having major problems getting a good sound from my amp (sm57) to my laptop via an M Audio fast track!
Quote by Beezerk
So you would recommend a Focusrite unit over the M Audio?
I'm having major problems getting a good sound from my amp (sm57) to my laptop via an M Audio fast track!

Definitely. The M-Audio's mic preamps are junk compared to the Focusrite.

However, I'd say the problem is either the amp, or the mic position in this case - Not the interface. The M-Audio is capable of decent results. What amp/cab are you using and where are you micing it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

However, I'd say the problem is either the amp, or the mic position in this case - Not the interface. The M-Audio is capable of decent results. What amp/cab are you using and where are you micing it?

It's a Peavey Vypyr 74w and an sm57, I haven't messed around with placement yet (just been watching some vids on youtube) I just kinda stuck it an inch off centre about 2 inches from the grill. I know it's not a spectacular amp but I'm very happy with the sound coming from it.
I've been reading lots of comments on the M Audio forum with people getting similar "weak" signals from the sm57 to the M Audio interface due to the poor pre amp, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Focusrite if tonights experiments don't show any improvement.
Quote by Beezerk
It's a Peavey Vypyr 74w and an sm57, I haven't messed around with placement yet (just been watching some vids on youtube) I just kinda stuck it an inch off centre about 2 inches from the grill. I know it's not a spectacular amp but I'm very happy with the sound coming from it.
I've been reading lots of comments on the M Audio forum with people getting similar "weak" signals from the sm57 to the M Audio interface due to the poor pre amp, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Focusrite if tonights experiments don't show any improvement.

Before buying the Focusrite, I would spend several hours moving the mic and finding the sweet spot. The Focusrite pre's are definitely better, but you should be able to get a pretty good sound out of the M-Audio. If you buy a new interface and keep the mic in the same place, I can guarantee you still won't be happy with the sound. A HUGE pecentage of the sound quality comes from the source (mic) and where you position it.
Quote by chaosmoon
Before buying the Focusrite, I would spend several hours moving the mic and finding the sweet spot. The Focusrite pre's are definitely better, but you should be able to get a pretty good sound out of the M-Audio. If you buy a new interface and keep the mic in the same place, I can guarantee you still won't be happy with the sound. A HUGE pecentage of the sound quality comes from the source (mic) and where you position it.

+1 to this.

Also, if you didn't buy your mic from a reputable dealer (ie: got in on eBay/Amazon/whatever), your SM57 might actually be a fake, which could be leading it to sound poor.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1 to this.

Also, if you didn't buy your mic from a reputable dealer (ie: got in on eBay/Amazon/whatever), your SM57 might actually be a fake, which could be leading it to sound poor.

The mic is real as far as I can tell (done all the checking of writing, wires etc).
You were correct with mic placement, I got a much much better sound after moving it around, ended up with it halfway between centre and edge and maybe 1/2" from the grill. Sounded escellent on both distorted and clean channels
I still may go for the Saffire 6 though if one comes up on Ebay at a decent price
Quote by MatrixClaw

I should ask, sorry to use someone else's thread to do it - could I plug a guitar directly into a Saffire 6 with a 1/4 inch cable? I initially thought I couldn't, but there seems to be something unusual going on with the jacks and the website doesn't say explicitly whether it's possible.

EDOT: When it says "instrument input", does that mean I'll be able to plug a guitar straight into it, like with a Line 6 interface? I'm asking because I've heard of people having to use seperate preamps with some interfaces when using them like this.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by whalepudding

EDOT: When it says "instrument input", does that mean I'll be able to plug a guitar straight into it, like with a Line 6 interface?

Not sure with that specific model (because i cba to look it up :P ) but i'm pretty sure nearly all audio interfaces have instrument input, so you can plug your guitar straight in and use VST amps and what not.
also, i have the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and i've never had a problem with sound quality or anything like that, so i would reccomend them.
You can plug directly into a Sapphire - IT'S A STANDARD INSTRUMENT INTERFACE...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!