hi all,

i usually use ernie ball strings, and i play mostly everything. (alternative, metal, punk, funk) so my question are ernie ball strings (just regular, nothing special) good for playing all these genres?

im asking cuz they r due for a change, and i need to no if i should change.

id rather play ernie ball strings, but im open to other suggestions. anyways thanks in advance/
I find they go dead very quickly, I'm not a fan.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You can use whatever brand for whatever genre you want, it's all personal preference
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by ChemicalFire
I find they go dead very quickly, I'm not a fan.

+1 they don't feel right on my fingers either. i'm somewhat of a roto 66 fangirl, so i'll recommend those for pretty much anything. i haven't found something where i don't like them
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I honestly hate ernie ball strings, in my experience I have found that they wear out very quickly. I would personally be more inclined to get DR strings, I play Hi-Beams and they sound fine and are very durable.
I liked the feel of DR strings over EB for bass. But I like EB on guitar more than DR. Weird.

It's never occurred for me to look at string brand correlating with genre of music being played. How do you even make that connection? If I had to force myself to come up with a connection it would be running strings that are easier to bend for blues or whatever.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 6, 2012,
The 3 kinds I can really recommend are the Roto66's which I used for ages and they were good but I just wanted to try something new. Now I tend to use the Dean Markley Blue Steels, for cheaper strings or a set of Elixers if I've got the spare cash.

And really Bass =/= Guitar. There aren't really metal strings just as there aren't really metal basses. With Guitar the Equipment to Genre connection is a lot more defined.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
EBs are really bright and go dead quick, so unless you like a thumpy dead string...

I'll put a word in for Roto 66s for a roundwound string that lasts a decent time and has a bit of the brightness that some EB string enthusiasts enjoy. If you are not arsed by ordering something blind online from overseas, Stadium Elites are similar and last even longer than Rotos.
Forgot about Stadium Elites, they're pretty good too, but I just stopped using them for some reason too, really can't remember why.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I use Ernie Ball,.038-.008,s and love em.But I got a new old Gibson that's eating them alive at the tuner on the high E.There,s probably a bad edge on the KlusonBut I put Fender nickel flatwounds I usually use for slide.It ate that too.Gonna check the 45 year old tuner in the AM.I bought elixers today,.oo9 high E,has anybody ever used them on an LP?It,s got P-90,s and I don't wanna lose that bite.Thanks,panhead201
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Quote by panhead201
I use Ernie Ball,.038-.008,s and love em.But I got a new old Gibson that's eating them alive at the tuner on the high E.There,s probably a bad edge on the KlusonBut I put Fender nickel flatwounds I usually use for slide.It ate that too.Gonna check the 45 year old tuner in the AM.I bought elixers today,.oo9 high E,has anybody ever used them on an LP?It,s got P-90,s and I don't wanna lose that bite.Thanks,panhead201

You do know this is the bass forum right...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
No,I did'nt,sorry
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Ernie Balls are good if you need new strings for your gig in half an hour and nothing else is available. Same goes for D'addarios.
Buy R.Cocco, La Bella or Fodera Stainlesses.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I like their Cobalt strings but everything dies too quickly for my tastes.

I suggest Rotosound or DR for rounds flats TI
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Depends if you're old skool like me and keep the same strings on for years, or if you change them every 2 months because you want Marcus Miller like brightness.

I like the way Ernie Balls feel. They need 2-3 weeks playing for the (in my case unwanted) bright harmonics to wear out. After that, they're good for 6 to 10 months, w/ 2 performances and 1-2 rehearsals / week.

Then I also like GHS Boomers and D'addarios as they last longer, upto a year or so.

DR's sound great for the first 2-3 months and then suddenly die out. Tricky strings if you ask me.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Quote by ColdGin

DR's sound great for the first 2-3 months and then suddenly die out. Tricky strings if you ask me.

I've never really had that issue, been using the same set of DR's (Hi-Beams on one bass, Neon on the other) for about the last 15 months and they still sound like new.... Then again it could be because they're coated (the neons are at least, and I don't use the other one that much.)
Quote by Spanner93
I've never really had that issue, been using the same set of DR's (Hi-Beams on one bass, Neon on the other) for about the last 15 months and they still sound like new.... Then again it could be because they're coated (the neons are at least, and I don't use the other one that much.)

I find that really, really difficult to believe.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I find that really, really difficult to believe.

It's amazing what a bit of care/maintainance can do