I mostly use A harmonic minor or A natural minor.

What about you? Is there any cool scale wich you recomend?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TS, it's how you use that scale that matters, not the scale itself.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I'm a firm believer in knowing your music theory, but when it comes to composing music, I find it's best to throw the ****ing scales/modes book out the window and write what sounds good to your ear. That being said, most of my riffs are based around harmonic minor scales, usually E, D or B, depending on what guitar I'm playing
make up a rift/progression i feel in whatever key then use the major scale to build the idea.
if its a major jam build on the root, if its minor i use the relative sixth as my starting point.
its not about using a scale its about making up an idea and seeing what scale/key fits into it imho.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
i can use absolutely any scale. and i can go the **** outside it (and nicely) whenever i want. i have an entire string quartet in C minor that modulates to some pretty distant keys and back. but this isn't about me. this is about you. learn moar, and don't impose such worthless restrictions on yourself.

and there's a lot more to writing really good music than making riffs and/or jamming, taking an idea, and seeing where it fits. learn about expanding on your ideas.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Daniel'sDream
I mostly use A harmonic minor or A natural minor.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to familiarize yourself with commonly used scales such as the Major, minor, pentatonic, and blues scales. I'd say they're all pretty cool.
The one that's the most uncomfortable for the instrument you're writing for.
I personally prefer the yardstick.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
30" scale in drop z
modes are a social construct
I like to stay within Em and Bm to get the most out of my guitar's range. I find minor to have smoother dissonance than major.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i use the scale that fits the key i'm playing in.

That's probably the "coolest" choice of all!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Technically I use C the most because I can never be bothered to write in the key signature.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Daniel'sDream

If you don't have a scale inside your head from study and ear training, you can't meaningfully compose in it.

Because you compose NOT with a scale, but rather with your brain. You compose by listening real hard, and hearing sounds in your head, and translating that sound to your instrument.

eg, I'm willing to bet Paul McCartney wrote "Elanor Rigby" in something you might call Dorian (minor with a raised sixth) not because he said, "I need to come up with a cool scale for this song," but rather because he was consciously or subconsciously channelling the sounds he had heard in english church and folk music growing up. He had that sound in his head ... and finding that sound led him to that mode.