Ok UG. Here's my first post...

So I have a Fender HRD and an Epiphone LP with Seymour Duncans. I've never been truely satisfied with the amp, except for the cleans. I love those. I've been just dealing with the drive channel for a long time.
I have been saving up for a new guitar, either an American Special Strat or Tele, though. Today I kind of had a revelation, so to speak, and I realized the drive is utter s***.
I'm not sure if new tubes (bought it used, from 2008) , and a pedal will make it better, or If I should just get a new amp...
I also really want the guitar though.

I like to play bluesy stuff, lots of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Black Keys, STP (mostly from Purple and Tiny Music), etc... I want a raw sound
I've only saved up like $350, but Im willing to go to $850-900 (just might take awhile... haha)
If it matters my closest city is Milwaukee.

Any Ideas UG?
Thanks Ahead of Time and sorry for the long thread
Last edited by fatback96 at Feb 5, 2012,
Welcome to UG

Not an uncommon dilemma at all. Most of us here can probably relate. I'm pretty much toast coming off of a Super Bowl party or I would check out your craigslist for you. $900 is a pretty healthy budget. You could get a nice Vox, Marshall or Mesa or the like with that kind of money. For what you play a Marshally amp would be my pick but it doesn't have to be a Marshall.

PS: I've played the HRDs and lots of other amps. The thing with your situation is that you can either scratch the HRD and get something else or you can run Distortion pedals through your current amp. I like my distortion to come from the amp so I'd get a different amp. If you really really needed a new guitar though you could go the pedal route now for disti.

Does your budget include selling the HRD?

One thing to consider would be a used Egnater Renegade. It will hit what you want tone wise and also give you a fairly convincing Fender clean tone.

PS: Tiny Music is a cool album
Getting a drive pedal can be a good solution to your problem as 311 said. However, I think you'll be happier with a new amp. I'd suggest looking at a Traynor YVC40R/YVC50B.

The 40R sounds very similar to the HRD but with a very good drive channel, while the 50B has more of a modern british sound. They're both very similar but people tend to like the cleans of the 40R over the 50B, and the opposite for the drive. Both are great amps.
Quote by fatback96
Ok UG. Here's my first post...

So I have a Fender HRD and an Epiphone LP with Seymour Duncans. I've never been truely satisfied with the amp, except for the cleans. I love those. I've been just dealing with the drive channel for a long time.
I have been saving up for a new guitar, either an American Special Strat or Tele, though. Today I kind of had a revelation, so to speak, and I realized the drive is utter s***.
I'm not sure if new tubes (bought it used, from 2008) , and a pedal will make it better, or If I should just get a new amp...
I also really want the guitar though.

I like to play bluesy stuff, lots of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Black Keys, STP (mostly from Purple and Tiny Music), etc... I want a raw sound
I've only saved up like $350, but Im willing to go to $850-900 (just might take awhile... haha)
If it matters my closest city is Milwaukee.

Any Ideas UG?
Thanks Ahead of Time and sorry for the long thread

i think i am kind of agreeing, none of the artists really use all that much gain to the point it couldn't be taken care of a pedal for dirt. it isn't completely ideal, but there are a few good things.

if you ditch the HRD, you still have the pedal. don't lose any additional funds.

i say guitar + an OD for the HRD. for OD i like the Catalinbred DLS although do not own one, OCD's are common, but they aren't voiced best for all amps. there are literally hundreds of options.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Welcome to UG

Not an uncommon dilemma at all. Most of us here can probably relate. I'm pretty much toast coming off of a Super Bowl party or I would check out your craigslist for you. $900 is a pretty healthy budget. You could get a nice Vox, Marshall or Mesa or the like with that kind of money. For what you play a Marshally amp would be my pick but it doesn't have to be a Marshall.

PS: I've played the HRDs and lots of other amps. The thing with your situation is that you can either scratch the HRD and get something else or you can run Distortion pedals through your current amp. I like my distortion to come from the amp so I'd get a different amp. If you really really needed a new guitar though you could go the pedal route now for disti.

Does your budget include selling the HRD?

One thing to consider would be a used Egnater Renegade. It will hit what you want tone wise and also give you a fairly convincing Fender clean tone.

PS: Tiny Music is a cool album

Haha yeah that album rocks!

What do you think i could get for my HRD?
Its from 2008, WHite Lightning edition, but still original tubes...
traynor is a good call. when it tried teh 40 my impression was that it was basically like a hot rod deluxe with a better od channel. that + speaker swap would be a good call (eminence makes some nice american-voiced speakers which also work well with OD, though obviously you can get anything which'll fit, and which matches the amp's impedance and which is rated for enough wattage). or the 50 if you prefer more marshally (i haven't tried it, though).

kustom coupé might be worth a look, too. again, fendery clean channel combined with a much-better-than-HRD overdrive channel.

but as 311 says, a decent pedal or two with your HRD would work at a pinch if that would be better for your current situation
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
COuldnt find any other HRDs like mine on that site, 311, but thanks anyways! And the Egnater is a little pricey for me.
The Traynors sound really nice! I am hearing some complaints about the drive and reverb on the YCV40 though. The YCS50 sounds fabulous! And within priced range! Sounds good good clean wise, but might take some time to adjust from the HRD.
Thanks Guys!
If I have any other questions, I'll ask 'em in here, so I don't keep making threads.
I would try an Egnater Tweaker 40 if your looking into a new amp.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
the 40 and 50 are very, very similar. it's the same schematic for both, with just one or two parts changed. The big difference is teh speaker is very mediocre in the 40. that might be the reason for the complaints.

i'm not sure the ycs50 is all-tube. i checked a schematic recently, and while i'm no electronics guru, it didn't look to be definitely all-tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I know you guys said you like using the amps distortion, but I like using pedals for that, I have the best distortion pedal out there IMO and a tubescreamer, so I've been looking into an amp that has great cleans with lots of headroom. Been looking into the HRD. Does it take pedals well?
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by Dave_Mc
the 40 and 50 are very, very similar. it's the same schematic for both, with just one or two parts changed. The big difference is teh speaker is very mediocre in the 40. that might be the reason for the complaints.

i'm not sure the ycs50 is all-tube. i checked a schematic recently, and while i'm no electronics guru, it didn't look to be definitely all-tube.

Thanks for the info. I would like something all tube. Glad you brought that up!
The search goes on!

@guitarguychris 1
And yes, the HRD takes pedals pretty nicely
Last edited by fatback96 at Feb 7, 2012,
If you like the clean tone, I'd recommend just looking for a drive pedal.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Sorry about all of the questions guys, but I appreciate the help!
What are your guys' ideas on the Egnater Tweakers? They sound ok from the vids on the tube, but what are your opinions???
I like mine a lot. A lot a lot.

I have some vids of it on my Youtube channel (let me know if you want the channel, I'm not going to shamelessly plug myself.). Very vintage-y, very flexible, but lacking in the cleans area. You'll have to use your volume knob. Takes pedals very well.

Pop in some EL34s and a 5751 in V1 and you're good to go. I also run a 12AU7 in V3, but that's just me.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by guitarguychris1
So I know you guys said you like using the amps distortion, but I like using pedals for that, I have the best distortion pedal out there IMO and a tubescreamer, so I've been looking into an amp that has great cleans with lots of headroom. Been looking into the HRD. Does it take pedals well?

i think it has the rep of taking pedals well, but i haven't tried it with pedals

personally i'd just use your vh100r with a boost, though

Quote by fatback96
Thanks for the info. I would like something all tube. Glad you brought that up!
The search goes on!

no problem

just to point out- while the ycv traynors are all-tube, i think the reverb and fx loop are solid state driven.

Not a problem (for me), but worth pointing out, i guess.

also ss rectifier (but teh vast majority of tube amps have ss rectifiers, i mean a plexi did )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if your budget stretches to $900 you could probably score a used renegade. Great amp, and it would do any of those bands well. I JUST sold mine like a week ago, or I could have given you a pretty good deal on it.

You could look into a Jet City JCA100 also. It's a clone of the Soldano SLO, which is a hot rodded Marshall. $700 brand new, or considerably less if you can find one used. Would be able to handle any of the stuff you play with ease.

EDIT: The tweaker is a badass little amp too. Gets loud enough to play with a drummer, and has a pretty nice crunch when you crank it up. Though it's single channel, so if you want cleans AND crunch you'll have to do some volume knob spinning while you play... and at volume it will have some breakup due to it having relatively low wattage (clean headroom)
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 8, 2012,
Definitely look into Traynor. They make wonderful things.

Slight Threadjack:
Hey Slap, how did you like your Renegade? I need an amp with a dedicated clean, but I like Egnater's dirty sounds.

I've been looking into the Renegade, but I've only talked to one person who's really owned one, and he was impressed but not really blown away. So I'd like more opinions before I make an attempt at a trigger pull
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by stratman_13
Definitely look into Traynor. They make wonderful things.

Slight Threadjack:
Hey Slap, how did you like your Renegade? I need an amp with a dedicated clean, but I like Egnater's dirty sounds.

I've been looking into the Renegade, but I've only talked to one person who's really owned one, and he was impressed but not really blown away. So I'd like more opinions before I make an attempt at a trigger pull

I had a renegade 212 combo for about 2 years. Pretty awesome amp. Just sold it a couple weeks ago. And honestly, playing the renegade side by side with the Mark IV, it holds it's own quite well against a much more expensive amp. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal on the MKIV I'd still be playing the renegade.

The clean channel sounds pretty amazing. You can dial it in for a light crunch, or a sparkly clean with a lot of bite and crisp high end. Switched down to 18W you can get some nice natural OD as well when you crank it up to gig volume. Or keep it at 65W and retain all your headroom.

And the gain channel will go all the way into metal territory if you like. Throw an OD up front, and that amp is a monster.

Not really a threadjack, still sorta related since the renegade was suggested to TS... now he just got a more in-depth review

EDIT: oh, and the digital reverb sounds pretty nice. Has spillover too, so it doesn't abruptly shut off when you turn it off.

Forgot the tube blend too. Can get some subtle changes depending where you set it. Pretty cool feature.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 8, 2012,
true. I love my Tweaker, but it (obviously) doesn't have enough headroom for the bigger places my band plays. I mean I use my volume knob anyways, but it just doesn't clean up as well. You know what I mean.
--

--
EDIT: The tweaker is a badass little amp too. Gets loud enough to play with a drummer, and has a pretty nice crunch when you crank it up. Though it's single channel, so if you want cleans AND crunch you'll have to do some volume knob spinning while you play... and at volume it will have some breakup due to it having relatively low wattage (clean headroom)

I'm cool with using the volume knob, though my Epiphone's are probably not so good. I could definatly pick one of those up easily.

What about the Tweaker 40? worth the $200 difference?
I do play with a drummer, not gigs yet, but soon I hope!
I play in the bedroom a lot though..

The renegade's 65 watts is overkill, for me imho.
To be honest, I wish the 40 had come out when I got mine. I love my 15 but the extra headroom would have been wonderful. Also get the head version. EL34s barely fit in the 15 combo, and besides, heads are more versatile (swapping speakers/cabs is easy peasy).
--

--
Thanks Everyone!
I feel pretty much set on picking up a Tweaker 40 after watching a bunch of demos. If I get the head, is it possible to pick up a decent cab for $2-300, or would the combo be a better choice?
Quote by fatback96
Thanks Everyone!
I feel pretty much set on picking up a Tweaker 40 after watching a bunch of demos. If I get the head, is it possible to pick up a decent cab for $2-300, or would the combo be a better choice?

personally i always go head/cab. others like combos. there are advantages and disadvantages for both.

good things about head/cab: can easily change cabs or use a different cab or have a cab and run another amp, etc.

two lighter things are easier to carry one heavier thing. i can't imagine the tweaker that is this heavy, but my trace eliot speed twin 1x12" weighs 87lbs according to manual. its not that bad, but if you have to haul it up staris, it sucks.

most combos that i know of have open backs, which isn't always ideal

good things about a combo you just have to carry only one piece.

again, could be good to have an open back, but could be had through head cab as well if you bought a open back cab.

just some quick thoughts.

i owned the origional tweaker for a while and it was pretty nice, however after a while you noticed its tone wasn't as varying as you think, more blurred, like you were hearing the same nuance of the amp it really doesn't change much.

i had it a few months sold it/traded it, i dont remember.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by fatback96
Thanks Everyone!

If you want to hear the 15 straight up, there's a video of my playing the first bit of "Growing On Me" on youtube, straight amp, no pedals. It's running JJ El34s in that vid, to give you an idea of the sound if you're looking for Brit sounds. Definitely does the Brit the best.

Let me know if you want the link. I'm not gonna plug on here without someone asking for it

Quote by trashedlostfdup
just some quick thoughts.

i owned the origional tweaker for a while and it was pretty nice, however after a while you noticed its tone wasn't as varying as you think, more blurred, like you were hearing the same nuance of the amp it really doesn't change much.

i had it a few months sold it/traded it, i dont remember.

Also, all of this. It definitely is not as versatile tone-wise as it's made out to be.

Like I said, it pretty much does the Brit sound spot on with EL34s, but everything else is lacking. TLFU might have had varying results, but you mileage may vary, so... Just go play one.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by fatback96
The renegade's 65 watts is overkill, for me imho.

Not necessarily... I wouldn't rule it out just because it has more wattage than you need now. It can be switched down to 18W on both channels, and it has a master volume, so you can actually turn it down VERY quiet if you need to. Then let it rip at a gig and shake the earth. Go play one, I think you'll be impressed. If you stumble across one used in your budget I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT: avatar makes good cabs that are relatively cheap. Maybe $400 for a new 212 IIRC. I think someone else suggested egnater cabs in this thread... if not, they are pretty good cabs. Honestly, I'd just scour your local craigslist for something used. You may be able to score a used 212 recto cab, or something equally awesome for $250-300
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 9, 2012,
It would be a damn sight cheaper to mod your HRD. The drive channel can be improved remarkably with a few component changes. Well, a damn sight cheaper if you could do your own modding anyway. Whoever designed that channel should be sacked and the guys that signed off on it should be locked away in a little room with no electricity.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It would be a damn sight cheaper to mod your HRD. The drive channel can be improved remarkably with a few component changes. Well, a damn sight cheaper if you could do your own modding anyway. Whoever designed that channel should be sacked and the guys that signed off on it should be locked away in a little room with no electricity.

The most experience I have had with modding is putting around unsoldering stuff on my old squier
I have looked at a few compaines that mod HRDs, but never seemed worth it...
Egnater would be a good option. There's one for any situation, you just have to pick the one for you.
I've noticed a lot of working pros on TV show bands starting to use Egnaters. When it's your living day in day out you don't screw around with crap. And those guys have to be versatile. One minute they are playing an intro for Dolly Parton, the next they could be introducing Dave Mustain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification