I'm a TS9 user but I'm looking into finding 1 or 2 other OD pedals that i can have for secondary OD. Any suggestions on pedals that would pair nicely to a TS9?

I am holding off for now on the OCD, I can't explain it but I just don't want that one yet, I at least want one other suggestion before I start looking at the OCD.

For what it's worth I use a Rat2 for distortion, but I'm not much of a distortion person, and I like the Rat after I got it modded. I use a fender twin for a tube amp.

Thanks in advance
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
i don't have anything in mind i just want good options, i need to have some different kinds of OD, my TS9 is an analogman mod and it's smooth as buttah, so some other tone options would be a bit more gain, some more warmth, and maybe something thats crisp...not the best descriptions but you know what i'm going for (maybe?)
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by gerraguitar
i don't have anything in mind i just want good options, i need to have some different kinds of OD, my TS9 is an analogman mod and it's smooth as buttah, so some other tone options would be a bit more gain, some more warmth, and maybe something thats crisp...not the best descriptions but you know what i'm going for (maybe?)

Vintage Boss OD-1?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Vox Ice 9. Love mine!
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Vox Ice 9. Love mine!

+1, it's quite versatile and should be good for whatever you want.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I've been digging the Lovepedal Kalamazoo, real crisp and natural drive without much compression. Check out the clips on youtube.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
are you using it as a boost or a standalone od?

i have the dano timmy clone, and also the joyo ocd clone. assuming the real things are similar, the icd would work well as a standalone od and the timmy would work well as a more transparent boost than the ts clone
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Koshman32
Vox Ice 9. Love mine!

Quote by Soccerguy
Maxon OD9's and OD808's are nice in my opinion.

aren't they all basically tubescreamers? i mean he already has a tubescreamer

Quote by gerraguitar

timmy would do the crisp thing. or even an sd1 (though it'd likely sound closer to the ts than a timmy). maybe even a marshall bluesbreaker

ocd would do the more gain thing

dunno about warmth, the ts is already fairly warm

that's not to say there aren't also other options which'll work, of course
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i use od as a standalone, i use a keeler two timer boost pedal for all my boosting needs.

some good sounding stuff, keep it coming, i'm a greedy person ha!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

k

don't miss my post above yours
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh if you're using it as a standalone, those catalinbread mosfet-based pedals might be worth a look (and other similar type pedals, like the brownsound in a box etc.). I haven't tried them, but they might be worth a look. clips i've heard have been good (but then clips sorta tell you very little).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
aren't they all basically tubescreamers? i mean he already has a tubescreamer

The Vox Ice 9 is definitely not a tube screamer.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
oh ok

i thought it was
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's the Boss BD-2. It's not exactly the best OD pedal ever, but it is different from the TS9 and TS808.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i love my MI audio blues pro. i haven't seen too many people with them, but you can find them used easily for <$100. yes it is a tubescreamer variant, but it is a far cry from it.

fulltone fulldrive is nice too. i just wish you could use the boost without the OD on. pisses me off.

catalinbred DLS i have wanted one forever.

i do like the voodoo lab sparkle drive as well (~$60 used)

the tim/timmy's are amazing, more costly, but perform excellently.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Koshman32
The Vox Ice 9 is definitely not a tube screamer.

Actually, it is just a tubescreamer with a modded circuit to give it some asymmetrical clipping like the Boss DS1.

Almost all OD circuits are a take on the Tubescreamer, because while everyone makes changes to the OD sounds to give it more of the sounds they are hearing in their heads, all the sounds they are hearing are usually derived from your vanilla Tubescreamers.

TS: I think it'd be easier for us if you tell us EXACTLY the sound you want from your OD, rather than telling us what you don't want it to do. Its like saying, I want to eat an apple that's not red, and doesn't taste like an apple.

Other than the Catalinbread range, I'd recommend the AmpTweaker Tight Drive, one of the AMT OD pedals (http://amtelectronicsusa.com), the NOC3 Pure Drive and the Rock Candy, 320design Landmighty Overdrive, OKKO Diablo or the VFE Pale Horse
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by ragingkitty

TS: I think it'd be easier for us if you tell us EXACTLY the sound you want from your OD, rather than telling us what you don't want it to do. Its like saying, I want to eat an apple that's not red, and doesn't taste like an apple.

i don't have any in mind. you don't always need to have your eyes set on the end, it's about the trip you take to get there. besides im not about to roll call a list of guitarists whoi want to sound like, i like what i sound like.

didn't mean to give you the hallmark movie speech but lets just put it this way...

i'm looking for multiple options for different kinds of ODs that are good...i'm not some hack who uses POS gear and has his head up his ass, i will look at any pedal that i think are interesting, but at the same time i've never been one to go find these obscure pedals that nobody's ever heard of. not to say they're not good, but i've just always been the one who looks for standard pieces of gear that has set the playing field for everyone else, like the TS and the OCD.

but, all in all these have been great suggestions i appreciate everyones input!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Ever tried one of the BYOC ODs? IIRC, they give you a few opamps and alternative options on the circuit components so you can sculpt your tone some what.

FWIW, you can also consider the JHV3 Ghost Drive, I like the clarity of that OD and it's tightness. Although that said, I know many people think its overly expensive. Also it's got quite a few clipping options built in, and you can request for changes to the circuit to have things like different opamps or even a scoop toggle. Between the Ghost Drive, Pure Drive and the Silverkiss, I'm pretty happy with the tones I get.

FWIW, I don't believe in a journey unless you know where you are going.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by ragingkitty

Almost all OD circuits are a take on the Tubescreamer, because while everyone makes changes to the OD sounds to give it more of the sounds they are hearing in their heads, all the sounds they are hearing are usually derived from your vanilla Tubescreamers.

Have you ever played the ice-9? I would say it sounds more like a marshall bb which is also a common od circuit.
Back to the question.
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I've heard great things about the JHS morning glory. Marshall bb clone. Super transparent. Vox ice-9 is a good one. If you want a little more grit you could go for a keeley baked ts9, those are pretty sweet. I would look at the king of tone, people seem to be raving about that one. But for non ts type sounds, ice-9 is the way to go IMHO.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually, it is just a tubescreamer with a modded circuit to give it some asymmetrical clipping like the Boss DS1.

there you go

if in doubt guess it's a ts-alike. because odds are it is

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Visual Sound Open Road? It can do crisp, warm, more gain, less gain, etc. The only reason I don't have one is because I don't need another pedal with that amount of overdrive on tap...although it's ability to be very clean on low drive settings is breaking my resistance down...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by jjbarnes
Have you ever played the ice-9? I would say it sounds more like a marshall bb which is also a common od circuit.
Back to the question.
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I've heard great things about the JHS morning glory. Marshall bb clone. Super transparent. Vox ice-9 is a good one. If you want a little more grit you could go for a keeley baked ts9, those are pretty sweet. I would look at the king of tone, people seem to be raving about that one. But for non ts type sounds, ice-9 is the way to go IMHO.

Satch asked Vox for an OD based on a TubeScreamer circuit that incorporates asymmetrical clipping like the DS1. That said I am quoting this from an interview with Satch when the Ice9 was released.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
so i checked out the open road by visual sound and i liked it a lot, i've narrowed my choices to that and the OCD, i'll most likely end up getting both at some point but i'm still thinking about what i want first. thanks for the suggestions guys!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by Koshman32
Vox Ice 9. Love mine!

I agree. Boss OD or SD 1, lots of players use Boss and their reputation is well earned, I have a Keeley modded SD-1 and I think it is real good but then I got a stock Ice 9 and like it better.

I haven't tried all the pedals out there, but on youtube anyway I heard a guy pushing a Marshall with a Fulltone and that one sounded good also but the Ice 9 is a good pedal in my opinion.
Quote by ragingkitty
Satch asked Vox for an OD based on a TubeScreamer circuit that incorporates asymmetrical clipping like the DS1. That said I am quoting this from an interview with Satch when the Ice9 was released.

I had heard he anted something not ts style which is why the ice9 sounds like it does. oh well
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Boss OS-2?

I have one and can make it sound great, but if you have a less than near excellent ear for dialing tones and EQ'ing, you'll accidentally make it sound like shit. It's a hard pedal to use, but if you have a good ear, it's great.
Quote by jjbarnes
I had heard he anted something not ts style which is why the ice9 sounds like it does. oh well

Oh well indeed. I think beyond the objective answer, is what sounds better to you. I personally don't like the Marshall sound all that much ... so

A few other pedals that are overlooked include:
Catalinbread CB30
Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Catalinbread CB30
Xotic BB Preamp

Haven't heard of the catalinbread, but I hear lots about xotic. Both the bb and the ac.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
+1 to the OCD. I know you don't want one right now but it is an awesome, awesome pedal. Very versatile and voiced a lot different to a tube screamer.
+1 to both the BB Preamp or the OCD. Both are fantastic pedals. It took me months to pick between them.
Ts9 is my favorite Overdrive pedal as well, you can hear the low end really well in riffing and 2 note chords.
Maybe you would be interested in the Boss power stack, it acts like an amp gain instead of a pedal distortion and it has more gain added as an option