I've been playing guitar for a while now and whilst my Spider III 120 is awesome I can't help thinking that it's time to start thinking about investing in a decent half stack.
I don't have shed loads of cash so I can't afford anything major, just something that's gonna be a stepping stone.
I play a lot of 80s glam metal and I'm the only guitarist in my band (with the obvious exception of the bass) so I want something that's gonna be nice and treble-y but not so much that it makes my ears bleed

Suggestions anyone?
Key gear:
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore (Lemon Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)
BC Rick Mockingbird ST (Red Quilt)
Laney IronHeart 60 watt head w/4x12 cab
Boss V-Wah
you don't need a half stack. first of all.
Your budget, location, and new or used?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
budget: Around £800
New/used: either
Key gear:
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore (Lemon Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)
BC Rick Mockingbird ST (Red Quilt)
Laney IronHeart 60 watt head w/4x12 cab
Boss V-Wah
Not my genre, so not sure but i would recommend a Mark IIIC used. Those things are great versatility kings.
You have better chance of more accurate responses in GG&A.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Is this only for gigging or will it be for home use? How big are the venues? I assume you want tubes?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Just be sure you don't want a half stack for the sake of having a half stack. I personally am not a huge fan of the spider series, let alone modeling amps, but if its working for you I'd suggest getting an extension cab.

As for the half stack, I'm in love with my 6505, its pretty diverse if you know how to use it. But if you feel like actually having the money to buy a cab too, the marshall JMP series is pretty great, and its not too expensive.
You should talk to Tom, he could hook you up. I think he only stays in the Gear section, where this probably should be.
Blackstar 50H? 'S about the only nice head I can think of that would leave you enough room to get a decent cab as well. For 'glam rock' you're going to want to make sure you have a decent pedal to stick in front of it too. A Peavey ValveKing might suit you alright, depends how you define 'glam rock', whether you're talking about David Bowie stype stuff or Twisted Sister and Motley Crue.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Are you sure you need a halfstack?
I've been gigging for 4 years now and have never really needed a halfstack, even for house shows with no PA.
I just got rid of mine in favor of a 2x12.
Just as loud and less to lug around, and you don't have to spend as much to get quality speakers in them.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
It is worth pointing out that for much of their early career (and even lots of their later tours) The Beatles used AC30 2x12 combo units without additional micing/PA. And that was in front of big crowds. A half stack does not give you more volume than a combo unit with the same power and speakers, it just gives you the option to mix up the amp and speakers a little easier to get the precise sound you want. Most of the time a 2x12 combo is more than anyone needs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A half stack is not really a stepping stone.

My general philosophy... if you have to ask someone what halfstack to buy, you are probably not in a position where you should be buying a halfstack.
Peavey XXX half stack, super easy. That thing was built for 80's.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd go with a Jet City JCA, I've got a JCA100 head running through a Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12(I've got it rented for now) and I find it suits 80s metal of all sorts quite nicely. I got the head for $700 Canadian, I'm not sure how much that'd be in the UK(maybe 500 pounds-ish? You guys seem to have to pay a bit more for stuff over there).

Might wanna get a boost of some sort too though, to my knowledge that's how a lot of hair bands did it back in the day(an unboosted JCM800's not going to sound like Skid Row or Tyketto, I can tell you that much) the overdrive channel's a little too bassy for my liking(I just turn up the preamp volume on the clean channel for AC/DC type stuff, and I've got a Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion as a boost/disto. Works quite nicely if I do say so myself. Randall's got some nice stuff too IMO(nobody deals them here anymore though), though I can't point you towards any model names. I wouldn't even bother with a Marshall at that price point, the lower end Marshalls are saddening to say the least.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
laney gh50/100L + boost. if you shop around you can normally get one for ~£500.

there are a bunch of cab makers in the UK where you'd have the option of your choice of speakers. roadkill appears to be really good value, but i haven't tried them. then you have the likes of zilla, matamp, martamp/mjw etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You don't need a fucking halfstack. Period. Nobody does. EVER.

Suck it up and live with a small tube combo. I don't care how much money you have to spend. That's just life.

Obviously I'm being a sarcastic ass.

+1 on the Jet City JCA100h recommendation. The lead circuit is based off the Soldano SLO circuit (minus the DeYoung transformers), which is the circuit for anything 80's. Though it also has enough power for modern metal should you ever need it. You should be able to get that and the matching cab well within your budget.

Even better: try to find a used Marshall 1960a cab instead of the matching Jet City cabinet. Those go for really cheap used like, everywhere.
Quote by al112987
My general philosophy... if you have to ask someone what halfstack to buy, you are probably not in a position where you should be buying a halfstack.

This is a very wise philosophy!
I used and use a half stack from small places to larger clubs in the past, it is the do all in my opinion. Yes a combo is technically all you need most of the time but a closed cabinet delivers a better tone in my opinion although you could add a cab to a combo if you wanted to.

Someone mentioned the Marshall 2205 which what I used for a long time. It is 50 watts compared to 100 and a 50 watt head may be a better way to go so you can push it more although the 2205 is loud anyway, but very temperment in tone between volume selection. I am using a JVM 410 now which is more watts but so far it sounds good at lower volume although it really comes out when cranked.

But I am still getting a combo also for jam sessions at a local club where those guys bring a 1x12 or 2x12 and they are really strict about volume those nights at the club. Plus for informal jams a combo is easier to haul.