I know guitars produce all kinds of sounds, so from experts, looking at the kind of music I like, what brand would you recommend me?

I love the way stratocasters look, but I also like how les pauls look. Don't really have a preference as long as it sounds good and gives me the tone i'm looking for.

Bands I like: Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Green Day, Nirvana, Audioslave, Led Zepplin, Theory of a Deadman, The Beatles, Puddle of Mudd

Basically anything that came out of the 90s and 60s.
I'd recommend looking at what guitars those bands use. You do have google right? You are already on the internet?

Sorry to be so harsh, but this thread is posted like 5 times a day.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'd recommend looking at what guitars those bands use. You do have google right? You are already on the internet?

Sorry to be so harsh, but this thread is posted like 5 times a day.

I'd recommened knowing those bands changed guitars everytime the wind changed. You do play guitar right? You've been playing a long time?

Sorry to be so harsh, but why'd you even wasting 10 seconds of your life to just tell me to use google.
That's a wide range of music you've listed there. All of them have used many types of guitars. So what springs to my mind is a versatile guitar with a mixture of humbuckers and single coils; an HSH or HSS Stratocaster is the obvious voice, though any double-humbucker guitar with a coil split switch would work just as well. There's nothing terribly specific that you need to get any of the tones of the bands you've listed.

What's more important is the massive difference in feel between, for example, a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. You can put humbuckers in a Strat and you can split humbuckers, but you can't put a Fender neck on a Gibson (and it's very expensive to put a Gibson-style neck on a Fender).

Get to a store, try lots of different guitars out. If LPs and Strats are what you like the look of, compare those two. You may be surprised at how very different they feel, and you should buy the one that feels best to you. It's much easier and better to buy a guitar that feels right and change the tone later than buy one which sounds right but that you can't play as well.

If I had to settle on just one thing, the first thing my mind leaps to is a Telecaster with a SD Little '59 in the bridge. But that is by no means the right answer for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by GKDAIR
I know guitars produce all kinds of sounds, so from experts, looking at the kind of music I like, what brand would you recommend me?

I love the way stratocasters look, but I also like how les pauls look. Don't really have a preference as long as it sounds good and gives me the tone i'm looking for.

Bands I like: Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Green Day, Nirvana, Audioslave, Led Zepplin, Theory of a Deadman, The Beatles, Puddle of Mudd

Theory of a Dead Man and Audioslave are from neither of those time periods. And the beatles doesn't fit with the others in terms of consistent instrument use. I believe puddle of mudd uses PRS, Kobain used fenders mostly, I've seen Tom Morello use gibsons, but I've mostly seen him use that custom model guitar, and he changed out pretty much everything except the damn wood,

Just go with a les paul, as it seems you want a thicker sound. You don't need a gibson, so a high end epihpone would work. Or a PRS, or a schecter. It's not that hard to emulate most of those bands sounds.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's a wide range of music you've listed there. All of them have used many types of guitars. So what springs to my mind is a versatile guitar with a mixture of humbuckers and single coils; an HSH or HSS Stratocaster is the obvious voice, though any double-humbucker guitar with a coil split switch would work just as well. There's nothing terribly specific that you need to get any of the tones of the bands you've listed.

What's more important is the massive difference in feel between, for example, a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. You can put humbuckers in a Strat and you can split humbuckers, but you can't put a Fender neck on a Gibson (and it's very expensive to put a Gibson-style neck on a Fender).

Get to a store, try lots of different guitars out. If LPs and Strats are what you like the look of, compare those two. You may be surprised at how very different they feel, and you should buy the one that feels best to you. It's much easier and better to buy a guitar that feels right and change the tone later than buy one which sounds right but that you can't play as well.

+1

i'd get a superstrat but then i really like superstrats
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Andrew C. S.
I was going to post something helpful, but as it turns out, OP is a twat.

Hero.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by GKDAIR
I'd recommened knowing those bands changed guitars everytime the wind changed. You do play guitar right? You've been playing a long time?

Sorry to be so harsh, but why'd you even wasting 10 seconds of your life to just tell me to use google.

And THAT is how you go from getting a good response to not being taken seriously. Literally every single thread started by a new kid goes EXACTLY this way. The list ALWAYS includes Nirvana and Alice in Chains, and the thread starter's first response is ALWAYS some defensive bullshit because someone told them to just look up an answer to this extremely simple and basic question.

Since you've been a dick, I'm going to suggest that you get a Danelectro '59 and cut off the top three strings.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
Since you've been a dick, I'm going to suggest that you get a Danelectro '59 and cut off the top three strings.

+1

And you could have just posted this in your other thread(s), particularly the one concerning the CV.........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by GKDAIR

Poo in a box and shake it, should get you pretty close to those bands
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by GKDAIR

Think the question is, why'd you spend upwards of 30 seconds of you life just to ask a question that could of been answered with some common sense and a quick searchbar/google search?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Think the question is, why'd you spend upwards of 30 seconds of you life just to ask a question that could of been answered with some common sense and a quick searchbar/google search?

I'll be reasonable about this, and I am not attacking you or saying anything against you, so I don't want it to come off that way. I am trying to understand things better and look at it a different way.

He could have looked up the information, but isn't the purpose of these threads to be a place where people can freely ask questions. His post covered a wide range of bands and maybe he thought this website could offer better information, or maybe consolidated information.

Maybe he was looking for a second opinion, I don't know. But this is my side of it, and I am looking for your side as well. Maybe it doesn't bother me, I like answering questions, but why is it bad for him to ask questions like that? Again, maybe I am thinking of this in the wrong way.
Quote by Kenjisan231
I'll be reasonable about this, and I am not attacking you or saying anything against you, so I don't want it to come off that way. I am trying to understand things better and look at it a different way.

He could have looked up the information, but isn't the purpose of these threads to be a place where people can freely ask questions. His post covered a wide range of bands and maybe he thought this website could offer better information, or maybe consolidated information.

Maybe he was looking for a second opinion, I don't know. But this is my side of it, and I am looking for your side as well. Maybe it doesn't bother me, I like answering questions, but why is it bad for him to ask questions like that? Again, maybe I am thinking of this in the wrong way.

But at the same time, TS has posted in other threads about getting a Squier CV next week. Not saying it negates your post, but it does make HIS post seem pretty trivial.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Who honestly in these days does not use google? Of course I was using that the minute I posted my question.

Then, instead of answering my question, captain pissy pants comes in and wastes a good 20 seconds of his life just telling me to use google, something which I had already been doing.

And, if i'm not mistaken this is an internert forum about electric guitars, so i'm free to post whatever question I want.

I swear this forum has some of the most egotistical assholes i've ever met before, and i've been on plenty of online forums.
Quote by Reisgar42
But at the same time, TS has posted in other threads about getting a Squier CV next week. Not saying it negates your post, but it does make HIS post seem pretty trivial.

That's just something I didn't think about. I am bad with names and I often don't recognize them in other posts, I just see the question. That's my issue though, and again, I appreciate you pointing out something I would have just been scratching my head about.

But does it matter if its trivial or not, is it just a 'who cares' if he asks a question type deal, or is it something more. Again, yeah, he could have looked up those bands (its what I would have done), but whats the harm of asking here. If I see a stupid question (not saying this is stupid, but its all a matter of opinion) I tend to just ignore it. Its just a personal thing for me, I am not saying either way is right or wrong, its just a 'whats the point' type deal.
mmkay....
Green Day: We know Armstrong uses a Gibson LP Jr. If not, wikipedia has your answer
Nirvana: Cobain used a jaguar
Led Zeppelin: Page used a Les Paul
Soundgarden: I had no idea so I used Wikipedia and found out that the lead guitarist, Kin Thayil, uses a Guild S-100.

Now you repeat for the rest of the bands.

But all you need is a guitar with dual humbuckers. There is no "one" that will get you the sound of all the bands collectively.

There's no reason you couldn't have Wiki'd this.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by GKDAIR
Who honestly in these days does not use google? Of course I was using that the minute I posted my question.

Then, instead of answering my question, captain pissy pants comes in and wastes a good 20 seconds of his life just telling me to use google, something which I had already been doing.

And, if i'm not mistaken this is an internert forum about electric guitars, so i'm free to post whatever question I want.

I swear this forum has some of the most egotistical assholes i've ever met before, and i've been on plenty of online forums.

Welcome to the Pit.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
You mentioned strats and LP's in particular. I use both but while you mentioned look the fact is the difference in feel and tone between the two is what matters.

The bands you mentioned, a strat (humbucker strat) or LP can be used. The LP with probably deliver a fatter tone but doesn't always matter. Your amp choice will matter more.
I guess the only real answer to your question is that there is no such thing as a guitar that will cover all of that.

I'll recommend an HSS strat, but that really won't do for a lot of what you listed.

What is your budget? If not too low, you could probbaly just get an LP and a Strat.

I mean, for $500, you could very easily pick up a Epi LP Standard and a MIM Strat. Both decent guitars.

A little more will get you good pickups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get two guitars? Maybe a Strat and an LP? If you want to get really intricate though, as budget wasn't listen, get a PRS 513. No idea if they actually work well, but its a promising premise for a guitar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Doesnt really matter what guitar you buy, most of the tone is in the amplifier anyway what you have to decide is whether you want Singlecoil og Humbucker pickups.
If you want more versitality you could buy a guitar with coilsplitting, which allows you to change between humbucker and singlecoil on the fly.
Try a James Tyler Variax. That will get you all the sounds you want.
Ibanez has some HSS models that are pretty versatile.

The problem with your question is that each of the bands you've listed have a very wide variety of tones. Many of the tones were song specific.

It almost sounds as if you want a guitar that can give you a nice grunge tone and also clean up nicely. Is that the case? The only thing that's really throwing me off here is the Nirvana. They had both scooped style tones and mid heavy tones.

Perhaps you can list some of the songs that inspire the tone you would like to achieve. I think the Les Paul or the SG could probably be used for a good number of these bands' covers, but I dont think you are going to get the majority of their catalogs from one guitar.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 7, 2012,