I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now and I really enjoy it. My main inspiration to start playing was Guitar Hero. I got the first game the day of launch and played it for a few years and I ended up getting (not trying to toot my own horn, here) Pretty good at it to the point where I was bored of it. Then I learned real guitar. Now I hate people who play music games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero because they all seem to think they're a musician. I remember when I thought I was the greatest virtuoso since Vie when I beat Raining Blood on hard. But I guess I haven't really asked a question yet so I'll get to the point, are music games good for the musical community? Personally, I think that people are discovering music the wrong way. You should be out seeing bands and talking to people about good music, not sitting in front of a TV.
When in doubt, SHRED!
They're games, they don't really have any impact on the musical community. Do racing games impact racing? Do boxing games impact boxing? I could go on, but I won't as I'm aware that I'm terminally boring
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by jetfuel495
In all my years I've never actually heard anyone make this claim. I think it's something guitarists make up to justify their hate for the games.

Yep.

If not for Guitar Hero I would have never heard of Tool or any music that I like for that matter.
Quote by jetfuel495
In all my years I've never actually heard anyone make this claim. I think it's something guitarists make up to justify their hate for the games.

This. I've heard one kid say "I can play that on guitar hero" ONCE, and I'm fairly certain it was in jest anyway. All these stories about kids in guitar center coming up to you while you're playing some ubersweetawesomeguitarsolo and claiming superiority are complete bullshit.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by jetfuel495

I just hate that whenever I saw something about playing guitar or about a guitarist people that play guitar hero always have to chime in with the stupid "I'm better then them... on guitar hero"
Quote by Paddy McK
They're games, they don't really have any impact on the musical community. Do racing games impact racing? Do boxing games impact boxing? I could go on, but I won't as I'm aware that I'm terminally boring

Well, in all fairness, GTA did teach that one kid how to get out of a burning car.
REGGIE
Quote by csensesfail92
I just hate that whenever I saw something about playing guitar or about a guitarist people that play guitar hero always have to chime in with the stupid "I'm better then them... on guitar hero"
Even though I was a guitarist in an upper class suburban high school at the peak of the franchise's popularity, I have never actually heard anyone say anything as dumb as that. I highly doubt it "always" happens "whenever" you see something guitar related.
Quote by hawk5211
Considering many drivers use video games to train, yes, dramatically.

Fair play, that does actually sound about right. I'm ignorant as well as dull it seems
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by LeakyFlask
Well, in all fairness, GTA did teach that one kid how to get out of a burning car.

Really?
My Soundcloud
Quote by Paddy McK
Fair play, that does actually sound about right. I'm ignorant as well as dull it seems

Not really. Playing a racing game with a good wheel is the closest any video game will come to replicating the real life activity (be it racing, guitar, shooting, etc.) that it is portraying. However, even a racing game is still a poor substitute to the real thing, what with no bumps, no g's, no real feedback, and crucially, NO RISK OF DEATH. So you are actually quite correct.

And I don't think you're dull at all
Quote by jetfuel495
Even though I was a guitarist in an upper class suburban high school at the peak of the franchise's popularity, I have never actually heard anyone say anything as dumb as that. I highly doubt it "always" happens "whenever" you see something guitar related.

well I'm a guitarist that lives in the ghetto and everyone around me listens to rap music which explains their response