Picking up a Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster later this week, now i've done some basic google searching but it really doesn't tell me a whole lot (i guess because im a beginner)

Should I not even bother getting some humbuckers installed on my strat since im a beginner? Also, I plan on ordering from amazon, if I took the guitar center would they "tune it up" for me? Tighten up the neck and everything else, I have no idea how to do it myself.

One last thing, will guitar center also install the humbuckers IF you guys recommend me to get some?
No you don't need humbuckers.

Get a guitar teacher.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
No need for humbuckers (they just give you a different sound, lots of guitarists don't use them), might wanna take it to a guitar store to get it set up when you order it.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
A humbucker is basically two single coils (the kind you're getting in your guitar) wired so they don't hum and then packaged into one pickup. They have a "thicker" tone to them. You certainly don't need them, but like most other things you may want them as you develop a better idea of what you want to play. Guitar Center should do a set-up for you if you want, but apart from that I'd strongly recommend learning how to restring and tune your guitar on your own.

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Ok, I didn't think I needed one but I wondered because of what type of music I'm intrested in if adding humbuckers would make me sound more like the bands in question
I know how to string and tune the guitar I was talking more about adjusting the neck and head etc. THAT stuff I don't know how to do, but yeah I can string and tune a guitar no problem, can even do it by ear.
Quote by GKDAIR
I know how to string and tune the guitar I was talking more about adjusting the neck and head etc. THAT stuff I don't know how to do, but yeah I can string and tune a guitar no problem, can even do it by ear.

Wait, your just getting a guitar now. But you can restring one?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
what type of music do you want to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Wait, your just getting a guitar now. But you can restring one?

I've had old crappy wal-mart guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of music do you want to play?

My favorite genres are grunge and alternative.

Basically anything from 1990-2004.

But I like stuff from the 60s and 80s too.
Quote by GKDAIR
My favorite genres are grunge and alternative.

Basically anything from 1990-2004.

But I like stuff from the 60s and 80s too.

So basically the worst musical period in history.

Gotcha.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Gotcha.

What's worse? My musical taste or you taking the time out of your day to post in this topic? That's what I thought.
Quote by GKDAIR
What's worse? My musical taste or you taking the time out of your day to post in this topic? That's what I thought.

Don't feed the trolls. While a lot of 80s music is downright terrible there's some cool gems. Oh, and you can always cover hair metal ironically.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by GKDAIR
Haha. I love cheesy 80's music.

Real men listen to Bon Jovi
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by GKDAIR

Easily the former - I was standing at a deli waiting with nothing better to do.

Edit:
Quote by GKDAIR
Haha. I love cheesy 80's music.

Guess there's hope for you, though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Feb 5, 2012,
Couldn't you have posted this in the two other threads you made....??????

But no, you don't NEED humbuckers to play the bands you mentioned, although I did mention that the bands you like do use guitars with humbuckers. Since you're starting out, focus on technique.

Tone comes later, if ever
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Nothing good came out of the '80s except for the Talking Heads. Just saying...

Having humbuckers has nothing to do with your level of proficiency. I've played guitar for 12 years and I use both a strat with single coils and a les paul with humbuckers. It all depends on what I feel like at the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Gotcha.

Bollocks. Grunge and the punk from that that era was some of the most fun shit to play ever. I had an absolute ball playing that stuff in the 90's. Jumping all over the place, nobody giving a crap if you got everything perfect. That era was fun as a musician, man. You could be ripped off your head and it didn't matter. Awesome period.

TS: don't worry about it. Once you've been playing for a while you'll know if you want humbuckers. If you find yourself needing a thicker tone instead of twang them shove a humbucker in the bridge. Don't worry about it just yet, hone your skills first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
GKDAIR, hope guitar transforms your life like it did for me.

Single and double pickups will deliver different tone with the humbucker typically having a thicker tone, so it all depends on what kind of tone you are after but ultimately your amp choice is more important in tone in my opinion.

You could always get a stratocaster with a humbucker and single coil combo , which is my prefered choice. Beware of lower end Squire models though, their pickips might squeal badly when volume is raised.
Joe Satriani Surfing With The Alien?

Guns n Roses Appetite For Destruction?

The Cult Electric Album?
Shall I show you my first guitar? It was a normal SSS strat configuration when I bought it. I did most of the mods in the first year of owning it. I don't care if you think it's an ugly guitar, I love it to death and it's the most versatile guitar ever. You name it, I can pull that tone.
This was important because I was playing in a functions band (even weddings arrrrgggghh) at the beginning so I had to cover a lot of styles with one guitar. At some party functions you could really let go. When the party jumps to Paranoid you know you aren't going to have to play lame-arsed wedding music. But sometimes you are unlucky and all they want is Elvis and John Denver.

The beauty of a strat is that you can replace the whole scratchboard so you can only hurt the guitar so much. I would have had to make the scratchplate from scratch but with a real Strat you can go silly, trying different things because replacement scratch plates are a dime a dozen.

Wait a while, you'll know what you want. Get another scratchplate and over time as you see things you want, mount them to the spare board. When you finish populating it, pull the old scratchplate and bolt your new, freshly populated one in. If you don't like it, pull it off and put the old one back and you're back where you started.
Take your time. There's no rush, the strat will be fine as it is until you're ready to start experimenting.

Check what the body is routed out for. You don't have to completely remove the scratchplate to look. Just remove your strings, unscrew all the screws around the edge of the scratchplate. Now lift it carefully, there is a wire attached going between the pots and the bridge so be careful not to break it. You're just looking at how big the holes are in the body for the pickups. Most strats are now routed out for HSH but check before you do anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 6, 2012,
Cathbard, not a bad looking guitar once you get past the headstock. Brian May's homemade one will never win a award for looks but his tone speaks for itself.
And I have to say, running two single coils at the bridge is an awesome way to do it. It took a little chisel work to make them fit but it's worth it. One of those little toggles switches them between series/split/parallel. Two single coils in series (they are RW/RP so they hum cancel) at the bridge screams. And they are angled like a pup there should be, just that there's two of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jjbarnes
Oh, and you can always cover hair metal ironically.

there's nothing ironic about how awesome hair metal is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?