Hi, thought you lot might be able to help out here.

Got a laptop second hand a few months back after my old one packed it in. Installed Ubuntu on it (stupidly not a dual partition), fast forward to now and I want out. Is there any way to do this without a Windows disk?
Don't get rid of Linux.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I had this same problem. The only solution for me was to get the windows disk and reinstall.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Basically...
I think you just have Linux installed, so you would need a windows disc.

I think Mint 12 is nice though, in case you wanted to change to a different Linux distribution.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
If you need the Windows OS, then you'll need the disc. If you are dual-booting Ubuntu/Windows, then you will still need the recovery console to rewrite your boot sector and get rid of GRUB.

EDIT: re-read, and since you don't have 2 partitions, you have to have a Win disc to actually get windows, unless maybe you are lucky enough to have like a recovery partition that HP and Dell like to add to their new systems in lieu of giving you a physical CD.
X Sign Here
Last edited by kossner at Feb 5, 2012,
you can do it from linux i believe, i dont remember exactly how though...
Well to get Linux off you can just use any OS disc or PC utility disc and format the hard drive (if you're going to Windows then format it to NTFS (Ubuntu uses FAT32)). It'll wipe it clean.
Quote by Seref
Well to get Linux off you can just use any OS disc or PC utility disc and format the hard drive (if you're going to Windows then format it to NTFS (Ubuntu uses FAT32)). It'll wipe it clean.

ext3 I think you'll find...

by default at least, you can pretty much tell it to use anything if you want.
Why you want to go back to Windows, i'll never understand, but you need an install disk first brah.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....