ready set GO! recommend me. i will be getting a new amp this week, also looking for a second guitar. id like to try and keep it $300 or under. been looking on guitarcenter.com alot lately. thanks.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The cheapest second hand guitars will always be the ones local to you where sellers are looking for someone nearby who can take the guitar off their hands quickly and pay in cash. We can't help you with that, you need to look in your local listings.

But I will add this, any guitar for under $300 that has active EMGs in it isn't going to be very good, even considering second hand prices. The pickups alone are worth more than half of that so you know the woods, construction and/or hardware are going to be crap, or it'll be a good guitar that got trashed and is in very poor condition. Nobody will sell a guitar that is A) good and B) has big-brand pickups installed for that little. You need to up your budget if you want the guitar to have EMGs in it, or you need to settle for something passive (but better at its core) now and install EMGs yourself later.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The cheapest second hand guitars will always be the ones local to you where sellers are looking for someone nearby who can take the guitar off their hands quickly and pay in cash. We can't help you with that, you need to look in your local listings.

But I will add this, any guitar for under $300 that has active EMGs in it isn't going to be very good, even considering second hand prices. The pickups alone are worth more than half of that so you know the woods, construction and/or hardware are going to be crap, or it'll be a good guitar that got trashed and is in very poor condition. Nobody will sell a guitar that is A) good and B) has big-brand pickups installed for that little. You need to up your budget if you want the guitar to have EMGs in it, or you need to settle for something passive (but better at its core) now and install EMGs yourself later.

hmm, ive actually seen quite a few of them on guitarcenter.com. maybe they are all horrible condition, like you said.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I second what MrFlibble said. Why would you want a cheap guitar with EMGs. They don't magically make anything amazing.
The pickups are one of the easier (though still costly) things to replace on a guitar. Much easier to upgrade than say the wood quality. So yeah you'd be better of trying to get a good guitar with crap pickups (e.g. an Ibanez xD ) and then swapping them out for EMGs later on.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
ohh okay, thats an idea. the only thing that worries me with installing active pickups is the battery..if you buy a guitar with actives there is already a spot for it. but ill keep that in mine.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Most guitars can have a battery put in them somewhere. Most Fender-style guitars have room to put them under a pickguard and most Gibson, Epiphone, ESP and Schecter guitars have enough room in their control cavities for a battery. Some Ibanez models can be a bit iffy. I'm not sure about other brands.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ohh thats cool. ive never done it and know nothing about it. id have to look into it and see how hard it is to do. would be about the same id spend a second hand guitar so why not.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Installing EMGs is really, really easy. The new EMGs even have a completely solderless install system so you don't need any tools other than a screwdriver. It's certainly easier to install them on some guitars than others, but so long as you don't buy something really weird then you should be able to get them to fit without much trouble.

In fact if you're worried about the battery or want a guitar that doesn't have room for one, EMG have just launched a new pedal that supplies power to your guitar to use with active pickups or other on-board effects, so you don't need a battery in the guitar at all.
Quote by MrFlibble
Installing EMGs is really, really easy. The new EMGs even have a completely solderless install system so you don't need any tools other than a screwdriver. It's certainly easier to install them on some guitars than others, but so long as you don't buy something really weird then you should be able to get them to fit without much trouble.

In fact if you're worried about the battery or want a guitar that doesn't have room for one, EMG have just launched a new pedal that supplies power to your guitar to use with active pickups or other on-board effects, so you don't need a battery in the guitar at all.

Ill have a look inside my jackson and see how the space looks, im sure there is enough room. thanks for the heads up man.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Alot of Jacksons have space, depending on the model there may actually be a little divider behind the electronics cover that seats a 9v battery - in my experience the battery still rattles around a bit so a bit of double-sided tape helps keep it all in place
Quote by zero
Alot of Jacksons have space, depending on the model there may actually be a little divider behind the electronics cover that seats a 9v battery - in my experience the battery still rattles around a bit so a bit of double-sided tape helps keep it all in place

ive been watching videos on the soderless, but i think you still have to soder to the switch. i might just end up taking it and paying some one to get it done. but then im gonna be spending $300 anyways. what to do. what to do lol. would passive be a better choice because its alot cheaper? maybe like a seymour duncan in the bridge? maybe an invader or a super distortion or something like that? because that would only run me like $150 or something. how big of a difference between the seymour duncan passives and emg actives? sorry im new to this.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 5, 2012,
What do you want more, Active EMG's or a new guitar?
If you only have $300 you can pick one but not both...
I found a Jackson Professional (MIJ I believe) w/ EMG actives for $300...Also an LTD M-300FM for the same price. I can't see scratches on them.
thats cool man. i was looking at them too, but in this thread i was advised not to do that. lol. i dunno what ill do, im suposed to get my return tomorrow. so new gear soon either way. i was looking at that ltd myself. one thing I dont like about the ltd is the floyd rose, seems like a pain in the ass.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 6, 2012,
the ltd ex-400 is more up my alley.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
its not good for a beginner I dont think. its good to learn both though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Check your local music shops, I know the major one by me that deals only in used has some better guitars for a good price. I had the option to pick up a decent level shecter for under 300 used, and it has EMGs in it. I'm not sure what exact two (I think an 81/85), but you can find them. It is more looking then anything. I would suggest calling or visiting the local stores or finding out if there is a used only dealer by you, I know there are a few by me, but they only deal really in lower end models.
Quote by romeozdistress
ive been watching videos on the soderless, but i think you still have to soder to the switch.
Depends on the switch. For a Gibson-style toggle switch, you should solder a few parts on but it's not a huge task. For a Fender-style blade switch, EMG make three versions that work with the solderless system; a Strat 5-way, a Strat 3-way and a Tele 3-way.
I ended up grabbing a esp ltd ex-400 for $299 used on guitarcenter.com, looks in greta shape from the picture, if not I can always return it. worth the risk to me. very nice guitar it seems.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A