I have an idea but I'd like to know if it's even possible.

I have a typical halfstack setup with pedals through the front and some through the FX loop. Now, I've bought another amplifier that I wanted to run with my rig at the same time, so i was going to buy an ABY box or something to switch between the two or run both together. But here I've come into a few problems that I can't figure out.

-I'd like both amps to share the same cabinet.
-I want the same pedals that i run through the front & loop of my halfstack to also run through the other amplifier.

It it too complicated (or expensive) to do something like this? Has anyone done this with some sort of switching system? I'd like some input.

Thanks
Ibanez S570b [Dimarzio Mo'Joe & PAF Joe]
Schecter Omen-6 [Dimarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire]
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie Traditional Slant 412
THD Hot Plate
Alright as for problem two i do not no but as for problem one i can be of some assistant. I while back i was doing some research into running two amps into the same cabinet and the simple answer is it can't be done without comprimising the safety of the amps. If there is a short in the components of the cab one amp can connect into the other one and you risk blowing both your amps. For me it wasn't worth the chance.
If you have a stereo cab, you can use one cab. Just switch it to stereo and plug each head into each side. Make sure the wattage is enough to handle your amp, though (half of the total wattage in mono).

As for the second question, I've never tried it, and not really sure why you'd want to, unless you're running both clean and using distortion pedals for all your sounds. It'd sound much cooler as a Wet/Dry rig IMO, but I guess it could be done with 3 A/B/Y pedals. Don't quote me on that, though
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you don't have a stereo cab, then look into the radial headbone as mentioned. Kinda pricey but perhaps worth it depending on your needs.

I think the Voodoo Labs GCX might do what you want as far as the effects are concerned. I'm not 100% on that though when 2 amps are involved.
It all depends on how many foot switch buttons your willing to press to get what you want.

Radial Headbone TS is one solution. 1 cabinet two amp switcher. It isn't cheap $259.

The other is Ted Weber made switcher. Can be had with or without foot switch. About $150 with foot switch and $100 without.
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/2head.htm

As far as using the same pedals/devices in the loop for both amps well that one is yet another pedal and/or is pretty damn complex for a stock type item your getting into the realm of custom made stuff.

The closest thing I can find is the G-lab GSC-5 with all the optional modules and that my friend is well over $1000. Although the GSC-5 would probably control the Weber unit via it's built in foot switch functions. I druel excessively when I view the specs on the GSC-5.

http://www.glab.com.pl/gsc-5_en
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 5, 2012,
@MatrixClaw, Wet/Dry ???

My buddy has a 5150 and a jcm800 and told me his jcm800 is his dry signal. Never quite got that. Also never understood how with 1 peavey footswitch he could go from "crunch" to kick your ass..
I can imagine how to build it. Some 3pdt or even dpdt relays should do the job. Don't know anybody that makes one though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if each pair of speakers will work as far as wattage going with the amps, you can take most any cabinet and make it stereo. for example 16ohm cab, s/p. 16ohm parallel with another 16 is 8 ohms. you could use both amps if the wattage met, if you were to run at 8 ohms.

i am about 99% sure, but do take a quote. long superbowl party here too, filled more than a few red solo cups .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/