Page 1 of 2
I have a B.C.Rich warbeast and have begun thinking very heavily of putting a set of passive EMG's in it. would this be a good idea considering the quality of the B.D.S.M. pickups it comes with? or in other words, would it be worth it?
Quote by Ghold125
Why passive EMG's?

I have the same question. I don't think passive EMGs sound very good, their actives on the other hand are killer.
If you want passives, go for Seymour Duncans. MUCH better passives than EMG's.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
If you want passives, go for Seymour Duncans. MUCH better passives than EMG's.

Yes, unless you wish to buy Alexi Laiho's Hz kit that includes a gain booster.
- - - - - - - - - - -
why don't you just get a guitar people won't point and laugh at that comes with better pickups and build quality?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I would sell the guitar and get something better used.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Don't insult his guitar choice, I wouldn't play/buy it either, but some ppl like BC rich guitars. I think passive EMGs sound really dull and flat, a nice set of duncans or dimarzios would sound tons better. They both do some great high output models.
Over the BDSMs yes very much so worth it. I'm not a huge EMG fan overall (I'm not a huge fan of actives), and although I'd recommend Duncans or DiMarzios myself, I would say they would be better. I've tried a BC Rich myself and thought they played nice (and are actually a decent sitting guitar for me) I just agree that the stocks aren't worth it.

Disclaimer I hold an exceptional hatred for BDSM and Infinity Pups, so any opinion from me is slightly skewed.
well the only other guitar I've played in depth has a set of Ibanez V5's in it from the 80's. so maybe I'm just more used to getting a more treble-rich sound, the guitar itself plays amazing and has good resonance IMO but it just seems like the sound they produce is kind of in between rhythm and lead. I picked this guitar because I really don' t like contour bodies, too play for my taste, I like something that stands out, in fact after this i'm looking at a razorback. but as far as the whole passives/actives argument. from what I understand passives give a more grungy sound(correct?) and i want something that really growls in the low end but screams when needed.
Hey if you like a set of pups that come stock, more power to you. My experience with BDSMs isn't favorable, but it is brief. I do have preferences like that as well though. I agree with you on the body shape, I actually prefer V's and Explorer style shapes. I don't mind BC Rich's product line at all, I just have some issues with them, that I have with a lot of guitar manufacturers so its not exclusive to them.
I guess they are nice, but they are too in-between sound qualities
Funny thing is that I had 2 BCRs with the BDSMs in them, a newer KKVMMV2 and a Trace warbeast. The Warbeast sounded asstastik very hollow and thin(got rid of that one), but the KKV is really really good sounding, super bassy....must have got a good wind in those ones,or maybe a better chunck of wood.
IDK I personaly think any emgs except the newer active Xs will sound too thin. A Seymore sh6 or sh8, or a dimarzio Super distortion should be a lot better than the stock bdsm.
What the hell!!!
get a second hand 300 or 400 series ltd with emgs already in it for like 300. thats what im doing.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
EMG HZ's are terrible. Stay away from them, they are not an upgrade from your stock pickups.

I can't really recommend anything to you unless you tell us exactly what you want to sound like. As in, what bands have tone that you're trying to get close to.

Also, could you give us more info about your amp/ anything else you're doing? That might be the issue right there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
its an 80's Ibanez tube combo (still has alot of life left in it), but i was noticing this even when playing on my friends marshall halfstack. and as far as sound goes, I like metallica megadeth iron maiden and ozzy as my main choices.
well, I know I"m probably gonna receive a slap in the face for this, but i adjusted the pickup height from the body and have found a happy medium place for them that is actually quite nice, the sound is much more full and noticeable like this, might still think of upgrading in the future though so I would like to know what you recommend
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Passive EMGs? eww. Go SD or something.

i am not overly fond either, with one exception. C#std/drop B, on a gibson SG, for more of a sludge taste. sounds somewhat similar to Down and the other bands out of New Orleans.

edit: reviewing this a few days later i missed the passive at the beginning of dragon's quote.

i was thinking actives, which do what i like.

i had a guitar with HZH4's and the boost on it and i didn't overly care for the pickups. actually didn't really like them at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 11, 2012,
Passive EMG H4-H4A set do have a nice natural vibrato to their tone. They don't have nearly as much output as my 81/85 set, but dynamically, they behave about the same. I have had a guitar come with stock EMG HZ and it sounded absolutely horrible. It wasn't even comparable to the H4's. The passives also lack the sustain that you would expect from the active. That''s a deal breaker to some players...but they can do metal and they are great for blues...because of that natural vibrato.

You cant always take a metal player's word on pickups because many just use actives as a crutch. You can get a decent tone out of a passive pup with the right gear. You dont have to just jack up the gain and volume on an active bridge.

Although I enjoy my H4's, I would have to advise against them if this is your only guitar. They are tone specific pups and they dont provide a wide variety of tones. I would also advise against active EMG's unless you want an EMG trademark sound. They tend to sound the same in most guitars.

For the money, I would suggest a different option.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Passive EMG H4-H4A set do have a nice natural vibrato to their tone. They don't have nearly as much output as my 81/85 set, but dynamically, they behave about the same. I have had a guitar come with stock EMG HZ and it sounded absolutely horrible. It wasn't even comparable to the H4's. The passives also lack the sustain that you would expect from the active. That''s a deal breaker to some players...but they can do metal and they are great for blues...because of that natural vibrato.

You cant always take a metal player's word on pickups because many just use actives as a crutch. You can get a decent tone out of a passive pup with the right gear. You dont have to just jack up the gain and volume on an active bridge.

Although I enjoy my H4's, I would have to advise against them if this is your only guitar. They are tone specific pups and they dont provide a wide variety of tones. I would also advise against active EMG's unless you want an EMG trademark sound. They tend to sound the same in most guitars.

For the money, I would suggest a different option.

I also own a guitar with an H4 (H2 in the neck), and another with an 81 (60 in the neck), and I disagree with everything you just said. HZ's ****ing suck, hard. Especially the H4. I have another guitar with "stock", unlabeled HZ's, and they are a lot better than the H4. Also, active EMG's don't sound the same in any guitar, at all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a ltd jh200 althought I love the neck profile and the fact the kahler is awsome and can lock like a fixed bridge. the pickups are emghz copy's? the body is cheap basswood makes the tone sound cheap and unchunkie
well for those interested i'm thinking about getting
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp219-d-activator-neck-humbucker-pickup
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp222-d-activator-x-humbucker-bridge-pickup i thought maybe they would offer some decent distorted playing while offering some versatility at the same time. am i correct in that assumption?
I have a DiMarzio D Activator X set in my RG and it sounds just incredible. You can really get great harmonics, and they are great for distortion oriented stuff. Real bite to 'em. I think you would like the sounds you get out of them. I'd really suggest just getting an X set though, and not mixing a regular D Activator with an X. Also because the neck sounds great.
Last edited by LostKeys at Feb 7, 2012,
^ that. I wouldn't recommend mixing the normals with the X's. Pick one or the other set.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i wonder if EMG have any idea how much hate the HZ's get. If they did, they would've redesigned them by now.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
from the first note i played with active emgs i have fallen in love. my brother in law tried them out and he even loved them, hes a big fender blues guy. go for the active emgs, you will not regret it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't have 200 dollars to drop on pickups as it is the $120 it'll cost me for the dimarzio's is really steep considering i'm still looking at a new amp
Quote by Viban
I don't have 200 dollars to drop on pickups as it is the $120 it'll cost me for the dimarzio's is really steep considering i'm still looking at a new amp

thats sucks dude.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
and I was looking at mixing them due to the fact that I want an extremely diverse tone range.
Quote by Viban
and I was looking at mixing them due to the fact that I want an extremely diverse tone range.

ohh okay. i love the 81/60 combo..then again its only been a day lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The sets are already calibrated. Mixing them will throw away that calibration.

D-Activators are surprisingly pretty versatile. I don't know about the X's, but I can recommend the normal set.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
i wonder if EMG have any idea how much hate the HZ's get. If they did, they would've redesigned them by now.

They did. Check out the OC-1's (I think that's what they're called). They're supposedly really good for what they cost.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check some used ones out. The music go round by my house has some stuff cheap, usually cost half of new. Just make sure to ohm them out before you buy and put them in.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Offworld92
I also own a guitar with an H4 (H2 in the neck), and another with an 81 (60 in the neck), and I disagree with everything you just said. HZ's ****ing suck, hard. Especially the H4. I have another guitar with "stock", unlabeled HZ's, and they are a lot better than the H4. Also, active EMG's don't sound the same in any guitar, at all.

Alexi Laiho can do everything that active EMG users do with his HZ's. The story does not end with you not liking a product.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 9, 2012,
he probably uses an afterburner or something in his guitar, which is fine if you want to route another hole in your guitar for it
Page 1 of 2