In my quest to have every guitar used by every singer/band I like, I've hit a roadblock. Fender make lots of Telecasters, and none of them currently look like this one and it's hard to find info on discontinued models that aren't signature models.

http://www.katevoegele.org/pictures/albums/PhotoShoots/DontLookAway/2.jpg

(image linked due to size; and please try to focus on the guitar)

From what I can tell, it seems to have the following features:
  • Ash body, though that could also be a particularly light-coloured piece of alder, I've not seen many pieces of ash with grain so straight.
  • Maple neck, looks to be 1-piece. Can't quite see if it's got headstock truss rod adjustment or if that's a plain walnut plug.
  • Abalone dot inlays?
  • 22 frets
  • old-style string circle retainer
  • modern tuners
  • 8-screw, 1-ply white pickguard, neck pickup mounted with screws visible in pickguard
  • Modern-style bridge with block saddles
  • S-1 switch in the volume knob? It certainly looks like the top of it is indented.
  • 'Fender' and 'Telecaster' logos stacked
  • Completely unmarked pickups
  • Small, squared-off modern strap buttons
  • Looks like a poly finish judging by the high-gloss of the black parts. Also looks like a import-style burst, very sudden transition from the middle colour to the edge colour.

I've seen all those features on separate Teles, but not all together.

At first I thought it was an American Deluxe model, as they have the ablone inlays, modern tuners, vintage circle retainer, 22 frets and abalone inlays, but they don't seem to have ever come in a 2-colour sunburst finish and they always have binding except for the butterscotch blonde finish. The only evidence I can find of them being in a 2-colour burst without binding was before they had the S-1 or abalone. They also have slightly larger/rounder-topped strap buttons, at least the ones I've seen.
Then I thought it was a Baja, but they don't have the abalone of course and they've only started coming out in 2-colour burst fairly recently (this picture can't have been taken any later than early 2007).
Then I thought she had a partscaster, an Am Deluxe neck on a generic body with an S-1 added. The Am Deluxe neck won't fit a regular Tele body though, since it's carved for the contoured heel of the Deluxe guitars.

Ideas, anyone? It's not a model currently in production and my own knowledge of older Fenders doesn't extend to the last twenty years, I only know the vintage stuff and the current models. And Google isn't coming up with anything. Get your Sherlock hats on, people, help me identify this.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Because this is a few years old and she's rather more famous than that these days. Though as it so happens I did meet her a few months ago and asked her directly and she said she didn't remember all the guitars she's ever had (in fairness, she's had a ton; also, pro tip: don't meet a hot lady and ask her guitar tech questions. Turns out that doesn't make you the cool kid in the room). So no good there. I emailed her record label too, got no reply of course. Hence, U-G.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by Jettski1
The bridge and lack of binding did make me think that, but the headstock logos are wrong.

does it really matter though? Do you need to have that exact Tele?
Yes. I am a digusting, disgusting ***** for signature models and copying other players' gears. It honestly really does bother me when I'm playing a particular kind of music and the guitar isn't 100% accurate to what I think I need, especially if what I'm playing is a cover. I don't know why, it's just always bugged me. I've never been someone who can use a Les Paul to play Iron Maiden or a Strat to play BB King or whatever. I always need to have my stuff be exact. This is why I have a million guitars but my playing still blows. Absolute gear ***** right here.

Quote by Ippon
Check with the Tele fanatics at TDPRI !
I'm, uh, not... allowed... to post on there. Kind of got banned. Turns out they didn't appreciate my sense of self-depricating humour. Who knew you'd get banned from somewhere for calling yourself a pansy fag? I have searched through their archives for info on what this model might be, but come up with nothing.
Almost positive that it's an American deluxe. Maybe from a few years ago as Fender change up the finishes they offer year to year.
Mm, I figure the neck is certainly from an American Deluxe, one way or another. I just can't find any examples of an Am Deluxe coming in that finish without binding, ever, and I don't know how you'd put a Am Deluxe neck on a regular body.
It's a Fender Classic 50's with a swapped bridge for better intonation, not an uncommon mod.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-electric-guitar
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The neck inlay and tuners are wrong for a Classic 50's Tele

I think you're looking at a Partscaster more than anything, but I could be wrong. It's really hard to judge what model a Tele is through a single picture
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 6, 2012,
Don't know if this is any help at all, but the photo was taken March 26, 2007.

Guitar was, or at least appears, new at that time...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by MrFlibble

http://www.katevoegele.org/pictures/albums/PhotoShoots/DontLookAway/2.jpg

(image linked due to size; and please try to focus on the guitar)

oh right you can zoom in

so now i can, er, concentrate on the guitar better.

i'll go with the people saying an american deluxe, but i'm pretty iffy on most fenders
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Almost 100% sure it's a deluxe ash.. I even checked a few of my old frontline catalogues.

Pg49 of the 2006 version has an identical looking guitar with all the specs you list: ash, 2 tone sunburst, abalone inlays, S1 system, modern bridge, adjustable neck pup, same tuners headstock and string tree and no pickup markings.

EDIT: http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/library/

there's an online version there, skip to page49 of the '06 brochure.. Assuming I'm not missing something obvious (which I wouldn't bet against )
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Feb 6, 2012,
you met this person and you asked about guitars?

**** is wrong with you?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

**** is wrong with you?

What would have you asked about?

"________________________________________________"
(Fill in the blank)

.....Yeah, I bet she's NEVER heard THAT before...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by power freak
Almost 100% sure it's a deluxe ash.. I even checked a few of my old frontline catalogues.

Pg49 of the 2006 version has an identical looking guitar with all the specs you list: ash, 2 tone sunburst, abalone inlays, S1 system, modern bridge, adjustable neck pup, same tuners headstock and string tree and no pickup markings.

EDIT: http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/library/

there's an online version there, skip to page49 of the '06 brochure.. Assuming I'm not missing something obvious (which I wouldn't bet against )
Hizzuh! You sir/madam, are an absolute hero. I went through Fender's archives before but I never saw those brochures.

That's fantastic, thank you very much for digging that up.

Now of course I have the problem of tracking one down or paying Warmoth a small fortune to replicate it, but c'est la vie At least I do now know exactly what I'm hunting.

Quote by Tom 1.0

**** is wrong with you?
You really should have worked out by now that I am the worst kind of gear nerd.

But it's a fair point, I've been lucky enough to have met nearly every musician I like and nine times out of ten I end up just asking them what their amp settings are. I get everything backwards. I would be the worst music reporter. I'd probably land a double video interview with Slash and Steve Vai and I'd just be asking them what kind of biscuits they prefer.
I hear Slash likes Custard Creams.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
! I was going to add "I think Slash is a custard cream man", but figured the joke wasn't worth running with.

great minds
Your from a similar neck of the woods, too.

Although I live in Australia now.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy

Slash likes mash.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I imagine Slash would prefer Smash to mash. Rockers don't have time to peel potatos.
Quote by Tom 1.0

**** is wrong with you?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?