I have an Epi Les Paul Standard the bridge pick up sounds horrible, muddy. I forgot that I had a JB laying around that i'm not using, can anyone tell me what tone would this pickup give me in that guitar? Am I right in recalling that the JB is a very bright pickup?
wire it in and hear it for yourself. It is a bright pickup, with a loose bottom end imo.
If you want to hear how it sounds in a LP type guitar, there are tons of demos/soundclips of ppl playing esp or ltd eclipses loaded with the JB/59 set - give some of those a listen
Quote by gman128
wire it in and hear it for yourself. It is a bright pickup, with a loose bottom end imo.
If you want to hear how it sounds in a LP type guitar, there are tons of demos/soundclips of ppl playing esp or ltd eclipses loaded with the JB/59 set - give some of those a listen

the guitars are so different that this is impossible, only simularity is the shape. i have owned EC's sound nowhere similar to my LP's.

i am not a fan of the JB, although i personally have not tried one on a LP.

wire it in. try it out. you will know for sure ten minutes from now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Most modern les pauls don't really sound good with JBs. They get muddy too easily and the loose low end of the JB doesn't help. Add to that, the JB is also really bright and you get this weird combination of a sound that is both shrieking in the highs and flabby in the lows.

But some les pauls sound great with them. I've heard a few sound pretty good in some historics, and even some gibson les paul standards. But typically if I was going to find a guitar to stick a JB in, I'd probably go with an SG or similar.
I tried a JB in my Les Paul and found it wasnt too great. If it came stock I wouldnt mind it but I feel there are better options. I found the Seymour Duncan Custom was nice and I honestly think the Pearly Gates is the best pickup Seymour Duncan makes. Definitly dont disregard the Pearly Gates.
i am going BG with a hellabucker and something for the neck.highly regarded pickups, usa hand wound $75ish a pop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by al112987
Most modern les pauls don't really sound good with JBs. They get muddy too easily and the loose low end of the JB doesn't help. Add to that, the JB is also really bright and you get this weird combination of a sound that is both shrieking in the highs and flabby in the lows.

But some les pauls sound great with them.

+1

I mean... in my edwards it's not as shrieking as in a superstrat, but there's still a bit of unpleasant treble there, and then you have the loose bass too which isn't so good.

you also have a lot of midrange push with the mid spike of the jb combined with teh naturally warm LP sound.

that being said the jb in my edwards probably sounds as good as i've heard a JB. But I don't really think it "suits" a LP, either. Too hot, apart from anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
considering that the pickup was designed for Jeff Beck during the era he played a Les Paul i find it intersting that people don't think it will work well with one. perhaps it's better with non weight relieved LP's. i've played a couple of LP with JBs and found the sound to be to my liking.
Quote by al112987

But some les pauls sound great with them. I've heard a few sound pretty good in some historics, and even some gibson les paul standards. But typically if I was going to find a guitar to stick a JB in, I'd probably go with an SG or similar.

If I saw somebody rocking a JB-equipped Historic, I'd have a strong compulsion to beat them to death with it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I didn't care for the JB in my Les Paul. It's not terrible but it definitely isn't anything to write home about either.
^ exactly

i used to absolutely loathe the jb, but the one in my edwards sounds... alright. but that doesn't mean i love it or anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
considering that the pickup was designed for Jeff Beck during the era he played a Les Paul i find it intersting that people don't think it will work well with one. perhaps it's better with non weight relieved LP's. i've played a couple of LP with JBs and found the sound to be to my liking.
To be fair to Jeff Beck, his pickup was one that was custom made for him back in the day by either Seymour Duncan or Maricela Juarez. The old '80s JBJs sound much better than the ones that you buy off the shelf at Guitar Center today. You can still get them custom made for you by MJ, but they cost $300 a set. Even Seymour admits that the old JBs were different, which is one of the reasons why there are those JB reissues now.

This.
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by al112987
To be fair to Jeff Beck, his pickup was one that was custom made for him back in the day by either Seymour Duncan or Maricela Juarez. The old '80s JBJs sound much better than the ones that you buy off the shelf at Guitar Center today. You can still get them custom made for you by MJ, but they cost $300 a set. Even Seymour admits that the old JBs were different, which is one of the reasons why there are those JB reissues now.

yeah that's another good point. the specs have changed on the jb at least once, maybe twice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok honestly I can't imagine a JB sounding bad in ANY guitar. They are great pickups and no they won't disguise the sound of a bad guitar but they will still make it sound like a wimp that's been hanging out with a badass lately.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Ok honestly I can't imagine a JB sounding bad in ANY guitar. They are great pickups and no they won't disguise the sound of a bad guitar but they will still make it sound like a wimp that's been hanging out with a badass lately.

Not sure if srs.

It's one of the worst pickups I've ever owned.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I tried a JB in my Les Paul and found it wasnt too great. If it came stock I wouldnt mind it but I feel there are better options. I found the Seymour Duncan Custom was nice and I honestly think the Pearly Gates is the best pickup Seymour Duncan makes. Definitly dont disregard the Pearly Gates.

yea i replaced the stock ones in my epi LP with the SD and am not too happy with it myself but its tons better than the stock pu's
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I used to have an Epiphone les paul stadard and I put a phat cat in the neck and a jb in the bridge. I HATED the jb. Way too bright and just... not good sounding.