I am eighteen and all I can think about is death. When I'm gonna die, being afraid of dying, how I'm gonna die. Whenever I'm having a good time, or whenever I'm home alone I think "I'm going to die one day" and get depressed.

This text didn't help much but I think it's beautiful. NOW, since we're nice little pit monkeys, we're going to take this text as it is, a scientifically neutral standpoint, and leave religious beliefs (or lack there of) out of it.

How does this make you feel?

“You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point you’d hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell them that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.

And you’ll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they’ll be comforted to know your energy’s still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you’re just less orderly. Amen.”

TL;DR
I think its a bit wordy, but I do enjoy the idea that due to conservation of energy, you're never really "gone." just less orderly as it says. I like that.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
You're going to die.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Is that tldr really related to the post?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Is that tldr really related to the post?

Not really. But if people aren't interested by physics, that's all they're getting >=(

I actually think the first part about thermodynamics sums up the general idea anyway.
Photons aint gun pay my child support, nuh uh gurl.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Very cynical. Awesome.
I think it's the best way to view something like death, if you can't bring yourself to get your head around it.
I'd hate to outlive my parents, that must be the worst thing ever; outliving your child.
Quote by Twist of fate
Bitches don't know bout mah subatomic quantum particles

mmmm boy that wave-particle duality lookin fiiiiine
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Yeah, a grieving family will totally want to hear how everyone on Earth is nothing but a collection of mass and energy.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
That physicists sounds like he should stick to the physics experiments, and never try to comfort people.

Seriously, if one of my parents were to die, the last thing I'd give a shit about is thermodynamics.

Also, if I'm at a funeral and a physicist is going around telling people they shouldn't believe in god, I'd think he was a self-righteous prick.
yeah, the stoics had this figured out thousands of years ago.

/not impressed

though it's a good way of looking at it.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Feb 5, 2012,
That was pretty cool, but like someone said, it wouldn't really comfort anyone if they just lost someone. But I had never thought of something like that.
Well, maybe you can say how your body will decompose and give food to a lot of bacteria, worms, and other insects/living beings.

That source of food can mean the survival of any of these life forms. The survival of these can mean that another living being will feed on them eventually too. Perhaps this new source of food meant the survival of this new life form, perhaps an animal.
This can set in motion a chain of events, that can change the world's ecosystem. It could change the migration pattern of some birds, it can change the population of some type of animal in a specific area.
At the same time, this can change other people as well. It can change how people hunt these animals; it can change how they interact with their environment. By changing people's habits, it can change their interactions between them, it can change their mood, their behaviour.
By changing this in said people, it can make them act different, it can make them change the world.

So by dying, you are capable of changing the world in inimaginable ways, which you wouldn't have if you had lived.

Or something like that, it's at least more comforting.
Last edited by gonzaw at Feb 6, 2012,
According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you’re just less orderly. Amen.

But according to nurology, it's that 'orderly' part that defines who you are, so once the 'orderly' part is gone, so, effectively, are you.

Quote by gonzaw
Well, maybe you can say how your body will decompose and give food to a lot of bacteria, worms, and other insects/living beings.

There's a Yorkshire dialect song called 'On Ilkley Moor Baht 'at' (which means on Ilkley Moor without your hat) that actualy explains that quite nicely.
In the song, some one is asking where someone else has been, and as it turns out, he's been with a young girl on Ilkely Moor (apparently a cold place) without his hat on, and the song proceeds to tell him that first he will catch a cold and die, then he will be buried, then the worms will eat him, then the ducks will eat the worms, then people will eat the ducks, resulting in his friends and family eating him.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 6, 2012,
I dont get it.
It wasnt really doing anything productive. Yeah, the energy that i used to run my body was expelled into the atmosphere and environment. Thats kinda common knowledge. Its really taking the idea and trying to apply it to something that its not gonna do any good applying to.

^thats brutal
I die, worms eat me, birds eat the worms, cats eat the birds, people adopt cats, i haunt families by throwing up hair balls on their carpet.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
But according to nurology, it's that 'orderly' part that defines who you are, so once the 'orderly' part is gone, so, effectively, are you.

This brings up an issue when talking about teleportation. If someone is taken apart atom by atom or converted to information then recomposed in a different location, is the transported person or entity the same as the person before being teleported?
A person is effectively killed when converted to info or taken apart bit by bit, so will this new "copy" be the same?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Twist of fate
I am eighteen and all I can think about is death. When I'm gonna die, being afraid of dying, how I'm gonna die. Whenever I'm having a good time, or whenever I'm home alone I think "I'm going to die one day" and get depressed.

I know that feel, bro.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
There's a Yorkshire dialect song called 'On Ilkley Moor Baht 'at' (which means on Ilkley Moor without your hat) that actualy explains that quite nicely.
In the song, some one is asking where someone else has been, and as it turns out, he's been with a young girl on Ilkely Moor (apparently a cold place) without his hat on, and the song proceeds to tell him that first he will catch a cold and die, then he will be buried, then the worms will eat him, then the ducks will eat the worms, then people will eat the ducks, resulting in his friends and family eating him.

Well, that's a somewhat more morbid version of that other story.

I think people will prefer to hear "He will change the world!" rather than "You will eat him!" at his eurology
Quote by rockingamer2
This brings up an issue when talking about teleportation. If someone is taken apart atom by atom or converted to information then recomposed in a different location, is the transported person or entity the same as the person before being teleported?
A person is effectively killed when converted to info or taken apart bit by bit, so will this new "copy" be the same?

Apparently, if the person is put back together with every single atom in exactly the same place as it was beforehand, then yes, he would be considered as the same person.
Quote by rockingamer2

If you are linked exactly the same. Your thoughts arent magical, they are actually stored as info in your brain. If everyhing lines up the same, you are the same person

Edit: fuuuuu you knowitall ninja!
its almost nihilistic in a sense huh D:

also i think this wwould be a good science textbook cover

Quote by Twist of fate

TL;DR
i like to go to the natural history museum mineral room and look at the diamonds older than the solar system. settles my mind.
now extra flamey
I still entertain the idea of my body being buried in an open location under a sapling, so that it may feed off of my nutrients. After I die, of course. If that wasn't obvious enough.

It's probably just a romantic idea placed in my head that won't happen. We'll see.. hopefully not too soon.

edit: OT, I guess that sort of goes with conservation of energy. My body would be converted into a food source for the plants and primary level consumers. I think that's a much better use than rotting away in a box, unable to replenish the earth.

I feel like a hippy. I need to take a shower..
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Apparently, if the person is put back together with every single atom in exactly the same place as it was beforehand, then yes, he would be considered as the same person.

Even if every atom is in the exact same place, is he still the same person?

What about the electric current going through the brain every time we are alive? Even if the neurons are all "the same", if you didn't distribute the current like it was before, couldn't if create a "different" person perhaps?
id rather he explain about the inevitable heat death of the universe leaving it a cold and desolate place
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial