I am a guitarist for my band, which doesn't currently have a designated singer (we kicked the frontman out). I have written some songs, and my bassist has written some and we basically decided that we will sing our own songs and both do back up when necessary. Problem; we both suck at singing.

Anyway, I have been practicing and I will write lyrics and sing them a few times and then record them to see how they sound...the sound that I hear in my head or the sound that I'm trying to project is different from what I hear in the recording...

I'm just wondering if any of you experienced vocalists know whether practicing with a PA would help me out. Just buying like a small one that would let me hear myself. I figure it would, but I don't want to buy one and find out that it doesn't.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Well I can match tones pretty well, and the main thing I want to work on is the tone of my voice. I'm thinking of going for the Harbinger APS15 15" Powered PA Speaker which will allow for live use too.

But yeah I can recognize pitches and sing them...but I have like a bass and tenor voice so I'm thinking it would help me figure out which to use if I hear my tone...and I think you can change your tone?? like if you make it clean or grungy and stuff..

anyway thanks for the input
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by FenderMayer
Hearing yourself, from my experience, WILL make you perform better, but there has to be something there to start with. You've got to be a good singer in the first place! Just practice! It can be frustrating at first, I'll be honest. But you WILL get better if you practice properly.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of some proper singing practice? thanks.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
You can look up video's on youtube for assistance with training but nothing replaces a good teacher. Even a few months of training goes a long way.

However, hearing your voice over a PA will indeed give you the opportunity to become a better vocalist but you have to identify your flaws and work to correct them. A PA only amplifies the sound of a vocal.
Quote by merriman44
You can look up video's on youtube for assistance with training but nothing replaces a good teacher. Even a few months of training goes a long way.

This.

I had the experience of a teacher looking at me singing and saying, "You're having trouble staying on pitch because you're not opening your mouth enough. I know it feels weird. Open it wider."

The difference was immediate and huge. But I never could have gotten that feedback from an internet video. And there are thousands of other comparable mistakes that you could be making, which a good teacher will instantly recognize, btu which you won't know that you're making.
Does plugging your guitar into an amp make you a better guitarist? No.

You want to open the throat wider, but not necessarily the mouth. Don't drop the jaw.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.