Firstly, I'd like to apologize about the threads I've made on practice before, as I'm someone whose pretty worrisome in nature, but this is sort the end-all matter: I've been practicing for 3 hours a day lately(I've been playing guitar for a year and 8 months), in two 1 and a half hour chunks, but am finding myself somewhat unsatisfied and tired after each, I can't really enjoy my playing. Now, the remedies I've been thinking about are distributing my practice differently, or adding more structure to my practice, but I've also thought about just sticking with my usual two hours, or maybe doing two and half hours instead. But overall, I just want to be a dedicated player, but I don't want to be dissatisfied with my practice, and enjoy my playing, so any help would appreciate.

Edit: In regards to what Hotspur said, I should note that I do indeed have an excellent teacher, who I see every other week, so, not that often.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Last edited by Bluesblitz at Feb 6, 2012,
Well, here's the thing. The saying "practice makes perfect" is a lie. The truth is that perfect practice makes perfect.

Sometimes when you practice for a long time and don't make progress it's because you're not practicing the right things. This is part of why people have teachers. "Hey, work on this instead."

That being said, in my opinion the most important thing is to be able to find joy in your playing, and it sounds like you might be getting disconnected from that. So, in addition to getting a teacher, maybe you should stop practicing for a few weeks, and focus, instead, on playing.

Don't worry about things that are supposed to make you better. Instead, focus on the things that make you smile.

There will be time enough for "practice" (and lessons) later. You've been going at it pretty hard for a while ... taking a breath is probably good for you.

That being said, because you don't mention a teacher, I suspect you don't have one, and I really suspect that's holding you back. I don't think you need a teacher at every stage of your development, but I do think that taking a few months of weekly lessons here and there during your development can really speed up the process.
I was in the same boat a while ago and I have to agree that you have to love what you practice.

One thing that I found to be helpful, was getting a certain guitarists' instructional DVD (perhaps one that you like, or draw inspiration from) and taking some exercises from there, maybe even mixing them up a little.

Short advice, yes, but perhaps it's something that can push you in the right direction.

Hope it helps!
Quote by Bluesblitz
Firstly, I'd like to apologize about the threads I've made on practice before, as I'm someone whose pretty worrisome in nature, but this is sort the end-all matter: I've been practicing for 3 hours a day lately(I've been playing guitar for a year and 8 months), in two 1 and a half hour chunks, but am finding myself somewhat unsatisfied and tired after each, I can't really enjoy my playing. Now, the remedies I've been thinking about are distributing my practice differently, or adding more structure to my practice, but I've also thought about just sticking with my usual two hours, or maybe doing two and half hours instead. But overall, I just want to be a dedicated player, but I don't want to be dissatisfied with my practice, and enjoy my playing, so any help would appreciate.

Edit: In regards to what Hotspur said, I should note that I do indeed have an excellent teacher, who I see every other week, so, not that often.

Oi

Enter Time Frames!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f140/practice-233652/#post2889719

That will enable you to reach the 8 hours + without exhausting your mind and keep your learning curve pretty much steady..

Thank Howard Roberts for it.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 6, 2012,
Apparently scientific research has found every individual will learn better at a particular time of day, so maybe your body doesn't want to practise at that time!

Personnally I think its all rubbish, practise the right things and you'll learn, sometimes you will hit a brick wall, but find a way over it, not everything will come easily
Quote by Bluesblitz

stop worrying about it and start enjoying it. It's easy to be dedicated to something that you enjoy doing.

You don't have to force yourself to practice for xxx amount of hours if you just play/practice for xxx amount of hours because your into it.

Don't try to be good. Love what you're doing and be good as a result.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 6, 2012,