I relaly like Melodic Death Metal (think Kalmah/Children of Bodom).

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier but I was wondering if there were some Beginner/Intermediate songs I could learn to start playing Melodic Death Metal.

I was tol the Jester Race album by in flames but I'm not a huge fan of in flames. I like that album but not a lot of thier other stuff. (maybe I'm listening to bad albums?)
anyways, thanks for the advice. Cheers.
Nice sig bro
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Well try some tracks off The Black Waltz by Kalmah, maybe Groan of Wind. That should be easier than the first three albums, which have more difficult parts.
Also, try some Amon Amarth, a lot of their stuff is really easy, but heavy. Fate of Norns and Pursuit of Vikings are a couple of songs like that.
Also, since you like CoB, start playing some of their stuff as well. It's not that complicated. Maybe learn some parts of Everytime I Die. Maybe some stuff from AYDY album, since it's not that technical as FTR, Hatebreeder or SW.

Cheers!
Try some of Amon Amarth (Death in Fire, Twilight of the Thunder God are two fairly simple songs, and pretty good to start out your Melodic Deth Metal career.

Enjoy shredding them!
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
To actually give some advice, learn the Aeolian ( Natural minor ) scale. Just about every melodeath band rapes it to death.
Quote by BoringUsername
To actually give some advice, learn the Aeolian ( Natural minor ) scale. Just about every melodeath band rapes it to death.

Just about every metal band rapes it to death. Learning 1 scale won't actually benefit him that much if he doesent know how to use it.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
^
Truth. There is no need to learn a scale without context.

Go practice the songs you like. Children of Bodom's rhythm parts are never particularly challenging. Their solos are, but the rhythm parts and the leads outside of the solos are very doable if you put in the practice.
I'm just gonna go ahead and say Death.
Strictly speaking not melodic death, but a LOT of their stuff influenced the bands you (and I!) like. Crystal Mountain is good place to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zguCFjHyVeM

+1 on Arch Enemy, more specifically, the album 'Doomsday Machine'. It's basically an orgy of awesome guitar lines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDGWPlsxtqQ

Also, if In Flames isn't your thing, you could check out Insomnium - they're heavily inspired by In Flames (and use a lot of the same techniques they do), but IMO, they are more of a mix between brutality and melancholia, whereas new In Flames is more angsty and manic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqp2NKneG-E

Hope that helps!
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
The best advice i could give you is probably this.

Listen to alot of melo-death metal bands (There is always some band you havent heard that you will like, believe me).
Learn their songs.
Analyze what they are doing in their riffs/licks to make them sound that way.

Beginner to intermediate bands i could recommend: In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, At the gates, Carcass, Wintersun, soilwork and Scar Symmetry. (And don't you flamers come here and say that some of these bands aint melo-death. They all contain some elements that is in melo-death metal music and therefor they could be to good use)

Good luck and hope i helped!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."