Been playing guitar for 5 yrs. Mostly been just fooling around by myself at home, but I'm starting to jam with more guitarists/drummers so I need to upgrade my wimpy 10-watt amp. I play on an Ibanez RG120 electric. The only pedal I have is a Digitech RP250 multi-effects pedal. Budget is $300-ish, but could pay $400-ish if it's worth it. New/used no biggie, though prefer new.

I play a lot of hard rock & metal, a lot of Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, some AC/DC, John Frusciante etc. I also play clean stuff too, w/ some reverb & delay slapped on, more mellow, like Explosions in the Sky, U2.

One thing I know I want for sure is a ton of bass. Enough to make a medium-sized room rattle/shake a little bit. I play Metallica & similar stuff, and I just LOVE playing those Hetfield-esque palm-muting riffs where I can ride the low E on my palm & chug it with a ton of bass and gainy crunch like a freight-train is coming through! lol. Also have a pitch-shifter on my pedal that makes my electric sound like a bass guitar, which is fun to jam with so it would be nice to have decent bass to fool with that (I don't own a bass guitar/amp).

Tried some amps at a local store, the Marshall MG50fx had enough bass & gain I needed & was ok on the cleans too, but I've read bad reviews on it. Been reading about the Line 6 Spider IV 75, like all the FX, looper, and presets. Bonus if something has a USB-out to record like my Digitech RP250.

I mostly just jam w/ buddies & play in my bedroom at home, so something I could easily lug in my car & fits in my room, ie: combo amp (I don't gig yet but maybe in the next year). I live in Ottawa, Canada.
No to the MG and the Spider, they're quite terrible.

Look around for a used Jet City JCA50, used Valveking or a Traynor YCV40. A bare minimum of at least 30 watts if you're going to be jamming with a drummer.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
For this money, ValveKing would be a good choice if you play metal. Avoid any modelling amp, they sound terrible.
One thing you need to know is that, when you decide to quit the bedroom and assume public playing, you need to spend some money. ValveKing would be just the beginning. In a couple of months, you'll look for a Mesa or a Randall, and such amps are more expensive.
Quote by rv_phoenix
For this money, ValveKing would be a good choice if you play metal. Avoid any modelling amp, they sound terrible.
One thing you need to know is that, when you decide to quit the bedroom and assume public playing, you need to spend some money. ValveKing would be just the beginning. In a couple of months, you'll look for a Mesa or a Randall, and such amps are more expensive.

I have to disagree with this. Particular modelling amplifiers are great. Just look at the Vypyr Valve series.

Also stage sound isn't the same as bedroom sound. Audience's ears are shit house and in most cases won't be able to tell the different between a valveking or a mesa.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Honestly, if you just like to jam out, there are few amps better than the Peavey Vypyr Tube. It's versatile like nobodies business, and it actually sounds legitimately great. I sold my 5150 after I got my Vypyr Tube, because I just didn't play it anymore.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Vyper would be the way to go I think. It'll do everything you need and want right now, and when you start to play with others more, get influenced by their music and begin to dive into other genres, you'll have an amp that will be ready for anything you throw at it.
Quote by Eppicurt
No to the MG and the Spider, they're quite terrible.

Why is the Spider IV 75 terrible? I've read some good reviews about it.
^^ from 10 year olds ^^

The Spider's just flat out sound BAD compared to alot of other amps. I think the spiders selling point for people that dont have a developed ear for tone is that they get a decent amount of gain and have a really "thrashy" kind of sound. Think, V shaped eq but add in some fizz on the high frequencies and no meat and you have yourself a spider.

Its a very attractive amp for folks who just havent heard a great sounding amp. Its that poor syndrom of i need to scoop all the mids out of my tone to sound brutal. Which is actually the WORSE thing you can do for heavey distortion.

The Vypyr on the other hand can indeed get high gain but maintains its composure and tone throughout. I use mostly the 6505 setting and i can tell you its pretty dang close to my actual 6505 combo. Fun part is there are a TON of great sounds hiding in the vypyr. Its a great jamming amp.

Just my 0.02
Last edited by surjer at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by Eppicurt
Audience's ears are shit house and in most cases won't be able to tell the different between a valveking or a mesa.

This x 1000000

To impress an audience, all you have to do is use a wah and do some random fast tapping. It looks cool and everyone thinks you've been playing 10+ years

Or just do the Sweet Child solo......

But OT, I second the vypyr tube!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by surjer
The Spider's just flat out sound BAD compared to alot of other amps. I think the spiders selling point for people that dont have a developed ear for tone is that they get a decent amount of gain and have a really "thrashy" kind of sound. Think, V shaped eq but add in some fizz on the high frequencies and no meat and you have yourself a spider.

Its a very attractive amp for folks who just havent heard a great sounding amp. Its that poor syndrom of i need to scoop all the mids out of my tone to sound brutal. Which is actually the WORSE thing you can do for heavey distortion.

The Vypyr on the other hand can indeed get high gain but maintains its composure and tone throughout. I use mostly the 6505 setting and i can tell you its pretty dang close to my actual 6505 combo. Fun part is there are a TON of great sounds hiding in the vypyr. Its a great jamming amp.

In Canada where I live, the Spider IV 75 is $300 new and the Vypyr Tube 60 is $470. Is the Vypyr worth THAT much more money in terms of quality? Are the tubes in that Vypyr the main reason for the price difference? Also, how is the Vypyr non-tube amps, ie; Vypyr 75? Compared to the Spider IV 75?
Also, can anyone post a short list of quality combo amps under $450-$500 that would have enough power for the amount bass I want (ie: over 30-40 watts solid state)?

All I know so far is Spider IV and Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by Barricade_28
Why is the Spider IV 75 terrible? I've read some good reviews about it.
NEVER, EVER, EVER listen to Musiciansfriend/ZZounds/etc. customer reviews for guitar products. They're writing the review after about 5min of experience with the product and 95% of the time are clueless as to what they are talking about. When buying amps/pedals, ALWAYS judge with your ears, not what some random dipshits say.

Hell, there's an idiot on MF who wrote a review of the amp I use (Jet City JCA100h) saying "don't expect heavy metal or even close distortion from this amp." If it can't do metal or "even close", then why do you think I bought it? And how the fuck did I record this with it: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ian_the_fox/music/play1072691

I think you get my point.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
NEVER, EVER, EVER listen to Musiciansfriend/ZZounds/etc. customer reviews for guitar products. They're writing the review after about 5min of experience with the product and 95% of the time are clueless as to what they are talking about. When buying amps/pedals, ALWAYS judge with your ears, not what some random dipshits say.

What about user reviews on Ultimate Guitar?
Quote by Barricade_28
Somewhat more trustable, but are still infested with tone deaf middle school kids who are over-proud of their first amp.

But seriously, when you compare the Spider to what you can get for the same exact price, including the Peavey Vypyr 75 and Jet City JCA2112rc, you will find that the Spider is worthless. At least for anyone with more than 2 months of guitar experience.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Somewhat more trustable, but are still infested with tone deaf middle school kids who are over-proud of their first amp.

But seriously, when you compare the Spider to what you can get for the same exact price, including the Peavey Vypyr 75 and Jet City JCA2112rc, you will find that the Spider is worthless. At least for anyone with more than 2 months of guitar experience.

Ok, maybe I'll give the Vypyr 75 a good listen. Is the only major technical difference between it and the Tube 60 the tubes in the 60?
Last edited by &baconstrips at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by Barricade_28
Ok, maybe I'll give the Vypyr 75 a good listen. Is the only major technical difference between it and the Tube 60 the tubes in the 60?
Mostly yes, but it sounds 20x better. It's more money but worth it.
Quote by Barricade_28

generally better. if you read the whole review in most cases you will be able to tell their level of knowledge.

not to be an ass, but you may not 'know' tone as much as you think you may/may not know. one beginner's amp doesn't get you the experience of a large plethora of tones that are available.

tone is a continual developing thing. see what you like, follow recommendations well backed to a certain degree.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to be an ass, but you may not 'know' tone as much as you think you may/may not know. one beginner's amp doesn't get you the experience of a large plethora of tones that are available.

tone is a continual developing thing. see what you like, follow recommendations well backed to a certain degree.

I'm the first to admit I don't know tone worth s**t! lol, I haven't spent a lot of time playing and listening to a lot of amps. I've only played on about 4 different amps in my life for any decent length of time, so yes you're right. Thus the recommendations since my ear won't be able to make an informed judgement by itself.

On the other hand, if it sounds good to my ear, in the end that's all that matters right?
Quote by Barricade_28
I'm the first to admit I don't know tone worth s**t! lol, I haven't spent a lot of time playing and listening to a lot of amps. I've only played on about 4 different amps in my life for any decent length of time, so yes you're right. Thus the recommendations since my ear won't be able to make an informed judgement by itself.

On the other hand, if it sounds good to my ear, in the end that's all that matters right?

exactly, buy with your ear. the only easier way to get a feel of what is different are clips, youtube has tons of clips, here is also good http://tonefinder.com/ however they are more likely processed on tonefinder.

the big thing i would recommend in searching for your 'tone' is looking at artists you like and see what they use. don't expect a carbon copy, without the same studio work done that the band had done on the release.

here is a quick list of amps to listen to to develop your ear a little bit.

Marshall JCM800
Marshall Plexi
Marshall JTM45
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Bassman
Fender Champ
Mesa Dual Rectafier
Soldano SLO 100
Peavey 5150 (same as 6505)
Peavey JSX or XXX
Diezel VH4
Fryette Deliverance
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Most people on here seemed to recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube amp for me. Would a 60-watt amp be powerful enough for me? I'm just jamming with friends, and do love my amp loud.

Would a Vypyr Tube 60 be loud enough to rattle a basement a bit with its bass?
I recently got a used mid 90's ,USA made, Peavey Transtube Bandit 112 for only 100 bucks at Guitar Center . It's in Mint condition and came with the 2 button footswitch as well. 80 watts of power which is enough to gig with and works fine with Digitech RP processors . I'm using my RP-70 with it and it sounds great. Go to either Guitar Center's website and look on their used gear section or go to E-Bay . You should be able to find one relatively cheap for around 100-150 bucks or so. Just make sure it's a USA made one and not one of the made in China ones.
^ I disagree with the Bandit recommendation.

The vypyr tube is sweet. It sounds really good, especially considering the price. I think that you will be pleased with it, as you can explore different tonal options and get an idea of what different tones sound like, but it is an amp that can mature with you. It will still sound good to you once you have developed a better ear for deciphering what you like. It is worth the cash, look used, I find them for 300 bones all the time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.