Anything and everything that's modern and kind of rock-y-ish

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.
Mostly people who class their music as "indie" are just people who follow trends.
Real Indie music died with bands Like Blur and Bloc Party
Quote by beast121
Mostly people who class their music as "indie" are just people who follow trends.
Real Indie music died with bands Like Blur and Bloc Party

what do you mean "died"? Both of those bands are still active today
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by ewashbrook
Anything and everything that's modern and kind of rock-y-ish

this.
Indie is just short for independent, so anyone who is unsigned is indie to be honest.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
any obscure band that's cool and only plays in small clubs until people like you find out they exist then they instantly aren't cool anymore. Hipsters are the only people who are "in the know" and they pat themselves on the back for it. Most small films that are only played at film festivals and small limited releases are also indy. Wear a scarf and thick rimmed glasses with skinny jeans and a vintage shirt from your local salvation army it will help you understand how you are original and unique...that is except for every other hipster.
It used to mean independent but now its basically anything that isnt quite 'hard' enough to be considered rock but is too cool to be considered pop.

The whole genre things is bollocks to be honest. Good or bad, thats all that matters
It's a terrible and lazy way to label a band. Sometimes it can be useful given the right context (eg. "the '90s saw the rise of indie rock bands like Pavement and Superchunk"), but it's best to stay away from the word imo.
I decided today that that song is like the epitome of Indie Rock to me.

Don't know why. But yes so good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The song I think of when I hear "indie rock" is "The Modern Age." But that's just cuz Is This It marked my incursion into whatever the heck indie is.
heavy metal rules, all that indie shit sucks. it doesnt belong in this world...it belongs on ****ing mars, man! what the hell is indie shit? animal shit and deercunter and all, that can go to hell! i dont care! you know, i dont really give a shit about that kind of indie shit!
It is a horrible term for a music genre, as any type of music could be considered "indie".
If I sing out of tune while slapping my knee- that's pretty indie.

For me indie means that you are not signed to a major label forcing you to produce commercial radio music. It cannot be a music genre.

How come some small folk bands are called "Indie Folk" and some just "Folk"? Folk music in general, is not commercial anyway. So I think this comes down to people thinking "Indie Folk" sounds cool. That's it.
Last edited by dscheche at Feb 15, 2012,
it is basically whether or not a band fits into the indie scene. the genre is broad as many different styles of music fit into the indie scene.
I've heard people refer to Snow Patrol and The Kooks as indie, so I'm pretty sure the term doesn't mean anything anymore.

It's seems to be used most to describe semi-underground, hip alternative guitar-driven music. Or pretty much everything that uses guitars but is not really rock, metal, punk or jazz.
Last edited by frankv at Feb 15, 2012,
it means indepedent. Not being under the forces of a major label. do what you want.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
good question these days, its lost its meaning.
GuitarMoose.com StickyGrip Guitar Picks
Elixir Phosphor Bronze Guitar Strings
Takamine EG523SCB
Michael Kelly Spalted Maple
Blueridge BG 160
Bedell MB 28 G
Bedell TBCE 28 G
It used to mean independent but now its basically anything that isnt quite 'hard' enough to be considered rock but is too cool to be considered pop.