It seems like everytime I start playing, my picks always slide away from me.

Can anyone recommend some good picks? I was going to go with Tortex but I want to know what you guys think, thanks.
Dunlop has some textured picks that are nice. Gator grip I think they are called.
The Dunlops that I tried with grips were ok, though I've gotta say I did like the Tortex a lot more. Recently I've been using some picks by Planet Waves, very, very similar to the Tortex, but they don't seem to shave away so quickly.
I use regular old JazzIII's, nothing wrong with them I'd say...

Also, not to be a douche, but have you analysed your picking technique at all?
Quote by Y00p
I use regular old JazzIII's, nothing wrong with them I'd say...

Also, not to be a douche, but have you analysed your picking technique at all?

I am pretty sure my pick technique is fine. I got these picks off of ebay... for 15 bucks for 3 of em, they are limited edition hammet picks but ehh...
Gator grips are okay, but I bought a variety pack of dunlop picks once, came with this type that had some crazy awesome grip. I don't remember the name though.
So just regular, smooth plastic? In that case, good game asking for tips on new ones.

It's just that a lot of people who I talk to who are complaining about slippery picks, have terrible technique in how they place the pick in their fingers, on the strings, whatever....
Quote by Tyler Bro
I am pretty sure my pick technique is fine. I got these picks off of ebay... for 15 bucks for 3 of em, they are limited edition hammet picks but ehh...

You spend t 5 bucks on a pick because it has some guitarists name on it?

I liked gator grips because the tone they generate is a bit more subdued. Not as sharp and punchy as a sharp pick like a jazz 3. Though I do like the black jazz 3s, not the small red ones. But that would be something you would adjust depending on what you want your tone to come out as.

And if any of you dudes come up with a technique to stop my arm from sweating on a hot ass, un-air conditioned stage. I'm all ears. Because that's usually the reason I lose a pick, though rare it is.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by robertsanidiot
Gator grips are okay, but I bought a variety pack of dunlop picks once, came with this type that had some crazy awesome grip. I don't remember the name though.
You don't happen to mean these??

I really liked 'em, but really, I'm fine with most regular picks anyways (though I usually prefer the "opaque" looking ones because some of the shinier picks do slip at times, especially if your hands are sweaty or greasy and they won't readjust properly if you're trying to alter their position midway trough a solo or something)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly

I really liked 'em, but really, I'm fine with most regular picks anyways (though I usually prefer the "opaque" looking ones because some of the shinier picks do slip at times, especially if your hands are sweaty or greasy and they won't readjust properly if you're trying to alter their position midway trough a solo or something)

Those looks pretty good.
get some finger picks? i know they're mainly for banjos and so on.

But i've got a friend who sounds pretty good with them
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by shwilly

Yup. Those are the ones alright. Some crazy stupid grip on those mothers right there. I would probably use them more, but the two I DO have are way to thin for me.

Also call me weird, but I tend to move my pick around in different positions all the time when I play and it doesn't bother me one bit. Kinda helps sometimes. Idk if that's just me but whatever who cares.

Ts, these are what you need, apparently.
Quote by shwilly

Wow, those look awesome. I'll check those out.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Get that out of here, its all about those 1.5s But seriously, listen to Cath, gators are teh best. Couldn't drop them if you tried.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Oh my god TS, you have to go try out Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III's. Pickgasm. Everything else just feels like shit once you start using them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Jazz III's fo sho. Even the non XL Jazz III's are hard to drop unless you try.

You can get them in Max Grip varieties too.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 6, 2012,
My favorites are the Max Grip, Ultex, and the Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs, all of which have really good grip IMO. If you're not a Jazz III fan try the Dunlop Nylons.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by BlackVoid
Dunlop has some textured picks that are nice. Gator grip I think they are called.

These are great, I use them a lot.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Lozhaze
Dava picks are very very grippy, the spotty ones in particular.

+1. Go with the Grip Tip if you want to stick with about the same size of pick, but I've found that the Jazz Grip really helps technique.