Hi. I have Ibanez RG321EX(3 years old) , Line 6 pod 2(4 years old), Ibanez BSA10 bass amp(6 years old) . For last 6 months im facing some problems. These problems are listed below.

1. My guitar now can not produce gain it used to produce. Im using same tone for years (6d of line pod 2, distortion) but now the gain and brightness of the tone is missing. What can be the reason? One of my friends told me that i need rewiring of my guitar to get the lost gain. What do u think? Where is the problem?

2. Also same distortion tone that used to sound good now it sound harsh on amp. Lost of the melody. What do u think?

I have wrote 2 problems. Please try to give solution/suggestion of both separately if you have time.

Im a noob and need your help. Thanks.
Pretty wild guess but could the pots have gone bad? What about your cables?
Quote by durhamdynamo
I like my coffee like I like my women.

Covered in bees!
Did it change suddenly, or has it gradually gotten worse?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check the height of your pickups.

On one of my guitars, over time, the pickups sink because vibrations turn the screws that set their height - and the output suffers.
Quote by surjer
Does that one have Active pickups in it? If so, change the battery..

no active pick up...
Have you tried playing it through a different amp? And yeah, like 667 said, check your pickup height.
Gearz
Gibson SG Standard(with BG Pups Pure 90's) -> BOSS TU2 -> Jetter Jet Drive -> EHX Big Muff w/ Tone-Wicker -> HBE Germania 44 -> BOSS DD-20 -> Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo -> Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Quote by 667
Check the height of your pickups.

On one of my guitars, over time, the pickups sink because vibrations turn the screws that set their height - and the output suffers.

no it is not helping me out...
Are you using a stereo instrument cable by chance? Maybe your guitar is wired in such a way that it can only use mono.
Quote by 667
Are you using a stereo instrument cable by chance? Maybe your guitar is wired in such a way that it can only use mono.

im sorry...im not getting you.

about pluging guitar everything is alright.
Some guitars can only use a mono cable (guitars with active pickups usually). When you use a stereo cable with a guitar wired for mono - the output can suffer. Maybe you are using a stereo cable by accident.. or something is wrong with the cable?

Are you using the same cable? Did you try another one?

The red cable on the left is a stereo cable. You can tell the difference because it has two black rings on the barrel instead of one.
Attachments:
TechNotes_4[1].JPG
Quote by 667
Some guitars can only use a mono cable (guitars with active pickups usually). When you use a stereo cable with a guitar wired for mono - the output can suffer. Maybe you are using a stereo cable by accident.. or something is wrong with the cable?

Are you using the same cable? Did you try another one?

The red cable on the left is a stereo cable. You can tell the difference because it has two black rings on the barrel instead of one.

Thanks. I didnt know that. I checked all my cables. All are mono cables.
Do the pots make noise when you twiddle them?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Do the pots make noise when you twiddle them?

yes...sometimes.
Replace them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A