I have just bought this;

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-custom-with-emgs

and it is an amazing guitar, sounds chunky with overdrive and gets a real heavy sound to it, however I was thinking about changing the bridge pickup to an EMG 85 instead of the 81 for that change in tone when I change to it, your opinions please?

Also I was considering replacing the other one with a gold EMG 81 aswell, is there a difference in sound between the gold/chrome and the standard ones?
I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get a "chuggier" tone, but you'll lose a lot of clarity, sharpness and definition that makes the 81 great.

I recommend an 85 in the bridge only if you have a really bright guitar (like alder/maple), or if you're looking for a really doomy type tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What is the rest of your setup? Amp/pedals?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The 81 willl do you fine for chug chug break downs. You may want to play with the eq settings on your amp over a pick up swap. There isn't any tone shift between gold chrome epoxy whatever those are just for looks. Fenders amps aren't really going to give you the sound that you are going for.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
That would explain why you're not satisfied with your tone. Your guitar is excellent for what you want to do. But you're trying to get modern metal out of a rig that is not designed for metal in any way shape or form.

At a bare minimum, spend the money you would have on a new pickup on a pedal like a Hardwire TL-2.

If you have more money to play with, a new amp is in order.

EDIT: Also, your guitar has an 85 in the neck. If you want to know how it sounds in the bridge, all you have to do is switch them around. EMG's are super easy, you just have to unplug them and plug them back up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 6, 2012,
A lot of people use the 85 in the Bridge, it doesn't add as much low end as people think, but there is definitely less of the spanky high end. I've been tempted before now to replace my 81 in my 81/60 pair with a 85.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Thanks, I think I will stick to the 81s for now then I used to play a lot of blues on my strat which is why I have that amp, it has a great clean sound... I am looking on getting an orange amp at some point and I'll have a look at that pedal, thanks
Quote by Offworld92
That would explain why you're not satisfied with your tone. Your guitar is excellent for what you want to do. But you're trying to get modern metal out of a rig that is not designed for metal in any way shape or form.

At a bare minimum, spend the money you would have on a new pickup on a pedal like a Hardwire TL-2.

If you have more money to play with, a new amp is in order.

EDIT: Also, your guitar has an 85 in the neck. If you want to know how it sounds in the bridge, all you have to do is switch them around. EMG's are super easy, you just have to unplug them and plug them back up.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?