Page 1 of 4
I like English, it's my mother tounge.

There's the Queen's English, American English, and Patois/Broken English ect...
I can speak and understand pretty much all forms of English going.

As a language, English is idiot proof, it's also more poetic than German.
We don't make our words longer, we make them shorter, like can't instead of can not.

I like it, as far as languages go, English is alright.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 6, 2012,
Antidisestablishmentarianism.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
English is awful and the English should feel bad for creating it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I like it. I'd rather know English than any other language in the world. I'm glad it's the one I learned first.
English has a lot of arbitrary rules to its grammar and syntax, though. Apparently it's a harder language to learn.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by treborillusion

As a language, English is idiot proof

Seriously though, English is one of the harder secondary languages to learn. There are a ton of non-uniformities in grammatical rules.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
english niqqa
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I speak more than just English but English is definitely the most useful one I know. I'm fluent in Tagalog, why the hell would I need to know how to speak Tagalog? I can just speak English instead. It's the only language that's useful EVERYWHERE.
English makes 0 sense in many situations. I still found it easy to learn, idk why.

Saying that it's idiot proof only makes you look like an idiot
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by treborillusion
English is idiot proof

While I agree than English has more simple grammar than some other languages, I would not describe it as "idiot proof".

English spelling is anything but intuitive. You don't notice it because it's your mother tongue. In Russian, for example, you pronounce almost every letter as it is written. This is not the case in English.
At this very second, at least ten non-native English speakers just said "bitch" while trying to say "beach."
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by sashki
While I agree than English has more simple grammar than some other languages, I would not describe it as "idiot proof".

English spelling is anything but intuitive. You don't notice it because it's your mother tongue. In Russian, for example, you pronounce almost every letter as it is written. This is not the case in English.

I was going to learn russian but I couldn't figure it out. If the bolded is true you may have just helped me out quite a bit

The thread title made me think of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOCDCcNSWhw
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by sashki

FFFUUUUU-
Except with the damn unstressed O's and A's and all that hard vowel soft vowel crap, It took me so long to finally get good at Russian because of that.
Last edited by trainspotted11 at Feb 6, 2012,
English is one of the most difficult languages to learn as a non-native speaker. We have too many exceptions to our rules, as well as an unbelievable amount of slang. But its not a bad language overall. Once learned, all the variety and stupid shit enables very detailed, nuanced communication.
Quote by VillainousLatin
I like it better than Spanish which is my native language.

same here...i feel like theres more words to express yourself in english, more options, whereas spanish you rely more on enunciation and 'spicing it up'
Quote by treborillusion
I like English, it's my mother tounge.

There's the Queen's English, American English, and Patois/Broken English ect...
I can speak and understand pretty much all forms of English going.

As a language, English is idiot proof, it's also more poetic than German.
We don't make our words longer, we make them shorter, like can't instead of can not.

I like it, as far as languages go, English is alright.

The word is cannot, and not can not. Phonetically, English is a pile of turds.

However, as a native speaker, I do like it. I find it to be aesthetically pleasing. I actually think it looks much better written down, than it sounds when listening to it.

(Also to you Brits: **** your ligature. I will never connect my "ae"s)
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by andthebeanstalk
same here...i feel like theres more words to express yourself in english, more options, whereas spanish you rely more on enunciation and 'spicing it up'

Tus maracas son gigantes! Ai-ai-ai!
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by trainspotted11
FFFUUUUU-
Except with the damn unstressed O's and A's and all that long vowel short vowel crap, It took me so long to finally get good at Russian because of that.

There are exceptions, of course, but it's nowhere near as bad as English. The "Ghoti" thing posted above is a good example. That wouldn't happen in Russian. I can't think of any instance, anyway. There's a letter for every sound.
Quote by sashki

English vowels are especially terrible, since every vowel can make 10 different sounds and every diphthong can make 20, with nary a diacritic in sight, save for the occasional French loan word, and even then they are usually omitted. I can't tell you how often I hear words mispronounced or see words misspelled by native English speakers because of this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm glad English doesn't have any of that masculine or femanine bullshit. I could never stand that from Italian class in middle school
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Också, svenska är väldigt vackra. Jag gillar nordiska språken. Tycker du om?

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by darkstar2466
At this very second, at least ten non-native English speakers just said "bitch" while trying to say "beach."

That's me I don't know why the hell I do that, I know how to pronounce both.. I just can't do it

Quote by andthebeanstalk

True, I often find my self without enough words to express my self in Spanish.. that's when I bring in the English and Spanglish
Last edited by VillainousLatin at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by izbbass
I'm glad English doesn't have any of that masculine or femanine bullshit. I could never stand that from Italian class in middle school

+1000
Damn Russian with it's 3 genders. Doesn't Finnish have more than that?
Quote by izbbass

There are a few cases where nouns are separated by gender (i.e. waiter/waitress), but they're few and far between. They're also being phased out because they aren't considered PC.

Click me, or I'll die.

English is a really easy language. I could speak english pretty well just from listening to music and watching movies when I was like 9, and I hadn't even started learning it in school.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Bushinarin
There are a few cases where nouns are separated by gender (i.e. waiter/waitress), but they're few and far between. They're also being phased out because they aren't considered PC.

Yeah, but for words like waiter/waitress, you're referring to people.
In French, Russian, German and probably a ton of other languages, every noun has a gender.
Quote by wyldething

Seriously though, English is one of the harder secondary languages to learn. There are a ton of non-uniformities in grammatical rules.
That's not true at all. I live in Germany right now and the students here by far have an easier time with English than with Spanish or French. It's grammar is relatively simple compared to other European languages.

I like it a lot. I'm glad it's my native tongue.
Quote by sashki
While I agree than English has more simple grammar than some other languages, I would not describe it as "idiot proof"...
Okay...

wiat tlil you get aorund to the fcat taht you don't even hvae to sepll wrods croreclty so lnog as the frist and lsat ltteer is in the rghit palce.

That's what I mean by English is idiot proof.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by trainspotted11
+1000
Damn Russian with it's 3 genders. Doesn't Finnish have more than that?

lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by treborillusion
I mean:

wiat tlil you get aorund to the fcat taht you don't even hvae to sepll wrods croreclty so lnog as the frist and lsat ltteer is in the rghit palce.

That's what i mean by English is idiot proof.

Or that we'd understand that "tlil" meant "until".

Also is that really unique to English? I only know English and Swedish, so I can't really say.

Click me, or I'll die.

I know other languges have really really long words, becuase they can not break them down, they just add a bunch of short words togther and that's how you get some really long funny words. - English don't do that.
Page 1 of 4