I have this idea. I'm probably not gonna follow through with it, but I want to know what the Pit thinks.

I was thinking of spending an evening (or maybe several evenings) going around every pub in town that is holding an open mic night, and playing a couple of songs in each one. If I could get a couple of friends to assist me in this, we could have a sort of mini-tour around the city. We'd obviously prepare songs in advance, but given the usual standard of open mic nights, I think we can get away with a bit of improvisation as well.

Has anyone done anything similar?
Is this a stupid idea for reasons I have failed to consider?
I like the idea, I'm planning of doing a mini-tour in a manner similar to this over the summer.
I've played rhythm for my friend's 2-person band (he played the lead and a girl sang - acoustic guitars) at an open-mic night once. It's fun, amusing, and quality entertainment from locals for free or nearly free. Sign up in advance, show up the day of, and you'll be given the order which you're supposed to go in. They might give you a projected time, but it's usually off haha. If you've got something planned, chances are that you'll feel no pressure on stage. If you're gonna improv, make sure you practice some improv with your friends beforehand.

But yeah, open mic nights are awesome. I've once heard a woman in her 40s recite poetry about vampires, werewolves, and the true love of her life: two buck chuck (two buck chuck is Charles Shaw wine for $2, available in Trader Joe's stores on the U.S. West Coast, for those who aren't familiar with the reference. The best damn $2 wine you can get) During the werewolf section, she was talking about a female werewolf with fangs on her vagina. A big black man at the front of the audience immediately shouted, upon hearing this, "vaginafangs!"
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by sashki
I have this idea. I'm probably not gonna follow through with it, but I want to know what the Pit thinks.

I was thinking of spending an evening (or maybe several evenings) going around every pub in town that is holding an open mic night, and playing a couple of songs in each one. If I could get a couple of friends to assist me in this, we could have a sort of mini-tour around the city. We'd obviously prepare songs in advance, but given the usual standard of open mic nights, I think we can get away with a bit of improvisation as well.

Has anyone done anything similar?
Is this a stupid idea for reasons I have failed to consider?

Cant see why any part of that would be a bad idea at all. Youd get some good experience and will give you a chance to go to bars and parts of the city you otherwise might not
Quote by darkstar2466
I
But yeah, open mic nights are awesome. I've once heard a woman in her 40s recite poetry about vampires, werewolves, and the true love of her life: two buck chuck (two buck chuck is Charles Shaw wine for $2, available in Trader Joe's stores on the U.S. West Coast, for those who aren't familiar with the reference. The best damn $2 wine you can get) During the werewolf section, she was talking about a female werewolf with fangs on her vagina. A big black man at the front of the audience immediately shouted, upon hearing this, "vaginafangs!"

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker