Hi,

I got a new guitar the other week, fitted with DiMarzio AirNorton/True Velvet/ToneZone - Neck/Middle/Bridge respectively.
I was actually looking forward to this combination at first, but now I am starting to get a bit annoyed with the Air Norton actually...it's just got way too much treble going on.
Is it just me that has experienced this with the Air Norton?
I find it being a bit unfocused as well..not as punchy and "fat" sounding as I wanted.
I really never thought I'd experience a neck pickup with too much treble... am I the only one? Are my ears completely mental?

It's a bit of a shame, but I am really considering getting the soldering iron out for this guitar and installing a Liquifire.. I read somewhere that the Liquifire was based on the Air Norton (since that's what Petrucci used to have before), but I just can't see the resemblance at all.

So in short, has anyone else experienced similar things with the Air Norton pickup? Am I crazy for wanting to swap it out?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
have you adjusted it yet? it may be too close to the bridge. lowering could help. if not, then idk what to tell you. and the airnorton isn't supposed to be fat tbh, that wasn't its intended design. i don't know of any dimarzios that are fat and spongy now that i think about it.
What wood is the body made from? Usually it's the Tone Zone that gets complaints about being too boomy in the bridge. That one can be fixed relatively easily.
Well no amount of adjusting would get a neck pickup further away from the bridge (assuming you meant STRINGS) :p
It's actually mounted directly to the wood without a mounting ring, so it's screwed down all the way to the wood, so it's pretty low as is.
Thanks though!

I know the Liquifire is probably going to get me what I want, since I got it in 2 other guitars. I was just hoping the Air Norton would be to my liking as well....guess not ><

edit: It's an Ibanez RG8570Z, so it's got a mahogany body with a maple top. The ToneZone is actually more to my liking than the Air Norton funnily enough!
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Feb 6, 2012,
I have the complete opposite problem with the Air Norton, not enough treble response for my liking, it's too chopped and as a result can get a bit wooly sounding. I have it with the treble side a fair bit higher than the bass and I'm still not entirely convinced by it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ +1

i don't own one but when i've tried them they've been pretty warm

do you have the amp dialled in to suit the tone zone? that might be it. tone zone is probably even darker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
I have the complete opposite problem with the Air Norton, not enough treble response for my liking, it's too chopped and as a result can get a bit wooly sounding. I have it with the treble side a fair bit higher than the bass and I'm still not entirely convinced by it.

Haha wth
Do they just roll the dice when they make these pickups at DiMarzio or what?
Mine is fantastic for cleans, but when I play with a distorted tone it's just nowhere near as smooth as I want it...it has a tendency to get insanely trebly on the higher strings...and not in a nice way at all, when I am going for a smoother feel.
It just makes me annoyed that I'll have to modify this guitar - it's the one guitar I got that I didn't think I'd have to make any modifications to other than a basic setup.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

i don't own one but when i've tried them they've been pretty warm

do you have the amp dialled in to suit the tone zone? that might be it. tone zone is probably even darker.

I've tried my darndest to dial in the amp for the Air Norton, but I just can't get it right at all.
My starting point was having it dialed in to my other guitar - an RGA 420, maple top, mahogany body, with Liquifire in the neck.
It sounds amazing for that guitar, which is really really similar apart from the pickup...but on the RG with the AN it sounds well...not great to say the least.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Feb 6, 2012,
I keep meaning to change the pots in my RG to 1 megs as I think that's the missing piece of the puzzle as far as the TZ/AN combo goes...not that that'd help with Shor's problem :/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

As for needing more treble response you can solder in a 0.47 capacitor between the hot lead on the pickup and the selector switch (or wherever your hot lead connects) to filter some of the bass frequencies out. This is what I did on the Tone Zone I was having issues with being too boomy.