Do you think people these days are less into music now? Everyone i know only listens to music occassionally (some of these people formally played music) and i know few people who go to the few gigs there seem to be these days.

Ive been playing music since i was 6 so 22 years, and still have as much of a passion as i ever did.
As music becomes more accessible it becomes more of a standard part of our lives, and it doesn't matter to people as much.

Having ipods and things reduces music to a way to filter out noise for a lot of people. Back when we bought CDs and cassettes, listening to music was more of an activity than it is today.

It's become a lot more of a casual thing for a lot of people these days. At least, that's my opinion.
Quote by jetfuel495
As music becomes more accessible it becomes more of a standard part of our lives, and it doesn't matter to people as much.

Having ipods and things reduces music to a way to filter out noise for a lot of people. Back when we bought CDs and cassettes, listening to music was more of an activity than it is today.

It's become a lot more of a casual thing for a lot of people these days. At least, that's my opinion.

This is basically what I was gonna say, only a lot more smart-sounding.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by jetfuel495

You've won a place in my heart <3
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Jetfuel is more or less right. It's become more of a background soundtrack than a thoughout out activity. Most people don't listen to music for the theory behind it, they listen simply for a catchy beat or chorus. It sucks, as it waters down the musical spectrum, but until the day comes where internet is no more, people will always disregard music as "that song that was on teh radio one time and like, had a good part and I like liked it like liek."
Quote by jetfuel495

You could have closed the thread after this post.
Check out my band Disturbed
People want music to be accessible and as the music industry is today, any poor sap can record an album even if talent is lacking. That's basically what makes the music of today so terrible, anyone can release an album and people will listen to any junk if it's marketed in the right way. It's no longer an industry/business for those with talent, but for anyone who wants to be a part of it. Creating music isn't for anyone, it's for people who live through their music and see it as a necessary good for their lives, not for those who want to become famous or just believe they can sing on a karaoke night and then decide to record a terrible album.

Would be lovely to see what would happen if musicians could no longer live on their music, who would stay in the business and who would leave it like a sinking ship?

I'm pretty certain the more serious artists with creative needs and a genuine interest in music would stay, those who are there because it generates money and famousity would surely leave.

That's one argument why I only buy music from those bands I truly enjoy and download stuff from other bands that I don't care as much about/not at all.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 6, 2012,
I really don't think so. Once massive internet censorship kicks in, people will probably listen to less sorts of music by force, though.
I don't care as long as bands like Radiohead, White Stripes or Fleet Foxes still can exist in this Era Vulgaris
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Greater average accessibility of information --> Lesser average appreciation of information.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I often just put my earphones in and sit and listen to music, in fact Ive had to stop listening to music when working because I ge into it too much. The rest of the time I have music on in the background as much as possible. Ive even started writing down a list each day of songs Ive listened too that I want to look upt abs for. Cliche as it sounds, there is a good chance I might fail my exams because of rock
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I grew up when records shops were getting phased out and only stores like Best Buy and Target were the only ones that had CDs and those places don't offer shit in terms of variety. Pretty much all of my music is digital, unfortunately. Being a musician, music obviously has tons of meaning for me, but if the days of record shops were still around, it would probably have more meaning.
Sometimes I think about how it would be if music recording had never been invented.

We would go to the concert halls and enjoy music consciously. It would be a great way to take a break from life. It would be something special, we would be glad everytime we hear a kid practice the piano.
Now we are being annoyed to death by the constant drone of pop music that is following us around even when we go shopping or eating.

Now we got a whole bunch of teenagers claiming how "music is their life" that don't even have the attention span to listen to something longer than 20 minutes without doing anything else.
But you can't even blame them... it's part of how todays media works.
We are just getting numb of art.

We watch <10 minute long youtube videos instead of movies,
Read short twitter/facebook/forum posts instead of books,
and listen to short bits of primitive music instead of concept albums/symphonies/whatever.
Quote by darkstar2466
Greater average accessibility of information --> Lesser average appreciation of information.

That's quite the leap from premise to conclusion.
Quote by jetfuel495
Not a pit mod ¯\_(ツ_/¯

A got that bleeds is no god at all.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by RU Experienced?
That's quite the leap from premise to conclusion.

My specialty.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I don't listen that much anymore because I'm starting to truly hate music. To the point where I can't bare listening to anything.
People aren't stoned...
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
During the winter, I usually stick to melodic acoustic music. Voices of the Soul, Desiderata, bunch of Opeth songs, ect.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Quote by Killer Bob 912
During the winter, I usually stick to melodic acoustic music. Voices of the Soul, Desiderata, bunch of Opeth songs, ect.

Wrong thread bro, Your welcome for immortalizing your mistake.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Metallicuh
People aren't stoned...

I am.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Besides when I'm sleeping I almost always listen to music. It's not always a background thing, I play LoL a lot and a lot of times I'll screw up and miss a gank or get ganked because I'm into my music and not paying attention to the game. I don't do this too often but sometimes I'll just sit and music for three or four hours, my two best friends who SAY they care about music told me that's the stupidest thing they've ever heard of. My brother and one other friend both like music like I do, unfortunately they both mostly listen to metalcore and deathcore. Whenever he, my brother and I are together, we just show each other bands on youtube the entire time.
sunbather is shit