Page 1 of 2
I know this a weird question, but I was wondering if anybody has these sort of albums where they remind you of a certain season or climate or whatever. Dance Gavin Dance's Downtown Battle Mountain 2 was like that with me last summer. When it came out, I put it my ipod right before I went on a trip to Eastern Washington and listened to it at least 10 times all the way through. For the rest of the summer, I listened it in my car every day. Now whenever I listen to it, it gives me the feeling of the summer weather.

On the other hand, Circa Survive's Jurtuna reminds me of winter a whole lot because of one time I had to drive in the snow and there was this part in the lyrics that used snow-related imagery. haha I know, its goofy as phuck.

So is anybody else like this with a particular album or song?
Jack's Mannequin- Everything in Transit is as much of a summer album as you will ever hear.

Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place(and most of their other albums, hell, most of post rock) is decidedly a winter album for me.
I didn't get into King of Limbs up until November because it wasn't cold outside. But now I see its perfection.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Plenty.

Entire Radiohead discography is very much autumn/early winter for me. Cold, wind and rain at least.

Håkan Hellström reminds of the spring/summer, sun, outside, drinking and smoking and hanging around in some park.

The Clash is kind of summer-ish as well.

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Times They Are A-Changin' reminds me of summer, most likely because of the footage I've seen from 63 when he's performing at the Newport festival during summer.

Blonde On Blonde is a lot more of a autumn feel though.

The Smiths is another summer band for me. Anything a little more lighthearted and poppy I'd assume would be more likely to be played during the summer. I do listen to pop stuff all year around but I assume the being outside and in the sun makes you a bit more of in a poppy mood than during the blistering cold when you want to kill everything.

First Aid Kit and their album "The Lion's Roars" is another album I strongly associate with the winter, mostly because of a single line in the second song about the cold weather here in Sweden during the winter.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 6, 2012,
Gojira's from Mars To Sirius always reminds me of spring especially with its nature related imagery. and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak reminds me of winter nights since me and my dad would listen to it on roadtrips in winter.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Misery Signal's Controller is a fall and winter album for me, Periphery's Self Titled long play record is a spring-y kind of album, and Deep Blue by Parkway Drive is a summer album.

Generally at least... Things change.
Silence followed by a deafening roar - Paul Gilbert. Epic SNOW/frost album.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros is definitely a summer album. El Camino is pretty winter for me. Alternative to Love by Brendan Benson is winter, but One Mississippi is Summer. It's mostly about when I got the album, and I don't live in places with really distinct spring or fall.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Bruce Springsteen's Magic is inexplicable a late Summer album for me, and By The Way by RHCP is a total summer album too. They're the only ones I can think of right now.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
For some reason it seems wrong to me sometimes to listen to Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Temple Of The Dog and Black Sabbath outside of the summer..
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
For some reason it seems wrong to me sometimes to listen to Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Temple Of The Dog and Black Sabbath outside of the summer..

Awesome user name.

Nirvana really got a bit of a summer-y feel I'd agree. Can't see it about Black Sabbath though.
Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" is definitely wintery. Not only did he record it while sick & alone in a deep-woods Wisconsin cabin in the middle of winter; but it's just so reminiscent of a cold, dark, solemn winter night.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
colleen winter
joanna newsom spring
pixies is summer
shellac autumn
now extra flamey
Pearl jam is a summer band for me. Some of Tom Waits stuff is winter for me. QOTSA is summer too.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
To mention a few

Spring:
  • Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
  • Arthur Honegger's piano pieces
  • Gustav Holst's The planet suite

Summer:
  • Björn Olsson's Instrumentalmusik... att sjunka in i... eller kanske försvinna till
  • Dvorak's New World Symphony
  • Stravinsky's The Firebird
  • Amelie Soundtrack

Autumn:
  • Richard Strauss' An alpine symphony
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Travis
  • The Rolling Stone's Beggars Banquet
  • Smashing Pumpkins Mellon collie and the infinite sadness
  • Kryztof Penderecki's Third symphony
  • The Beatles - Abbey road

Winter:
  • Philip Glass The metamorphosis
  • Rimsky Korsakov's Schehezerade
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Autumn:

I've always thought of his stuff as being very winter sounding.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I've always thought of his stuff as being very winter sounding.

It's both really. I think it's pretty autumny because of the reverb in the vocals sometimes.
Quote by Kensai

You have no idea how happy I am to see you really liking that album. You're one of few I've managed to appreciate that album.

It's a very summery album indeed. Late summer when the sun's going down.

Ah that's sweet.
Quote by wizards?
Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place(and most of their other albums, hell, most of post rock) is decidedly a winter album for me.

Yup, pretty much. Explosions & Sigur Ros are winter for me

Summer is always Pop Punk. Lots of Blink 182 and Sum 41
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Kensai
It's both really. I think it's pretty autumny because of the reverb in the vocals sometimes.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying about the autumn feel. I've always thought of it as winter just because of the stuff that his songs are about. A lot of them are quite sad, and I always seem to think of sad songs as being winter. One example is "Christmas card from a hooker..." by Tom Waits. That's a winter song for me. So is "Avalanche", "Famous blue raincoat", and "So long, Marianne" by Leonard Cohen.

What would you put Neil Young as? I would say he's either winter or spring depending on the song.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
You have no idea how happy I am to see you really liking that album. You're one of few I've managed to appreciate that album.

It's a very summery album indeed. Late summer when the sun's going down.

Ah that's sweet.

Awesome album, thanks for suggesting it

Last summer I listened to it pretty much every morning when the sun was coming up while biking to work. Biking through Gothenburg listening to that album and seeing the sun rise over the buildings and trees was very epic.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Yeah, I can see what you're saying about the autumn feel. I've always thought of it as winter just because of the stuff that his songs are about. A lot of them are quite sad, and I always seem to think of sad songs as being winter. One example is "Christmas card from a hooker..." by Tom Waits. That's a winter song for me. So is "Avalanche", "Famous blue raincoat", and "So long, Marianne" by Leonard Cohen.

What would you put Neil Young as? I would say he's either winter or spring depending on the song.

Some of my favourite songs by Cohen Been listening to him a lot lately. Yeah it's wintery as well. I think it's just that period between autumn and winter.

I wanted to put Neil Young somewhere but couldn't really place him. It's a kind of summer/autumn feel. His early stuff is very summer, but other songs are pretty winter =/
Last edited by Kensai at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Aww man, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere just screams summer for me. Good shit.
Quote by Kensai
Awesome album, thanks for suggesting it

Last summer I listened to it pretty much every morning when the sun was coming up while biking to work. Biking through Gothenburg listening to that album and seeing the sun rise over the buildings and trees was very epic.

I can imagine. Used it all night during summer as a sleeping album. It's wonderful to wake up to as well.

I can imagine myself putting that on and waking up at Roskilde, having my morning coffee and a cigarette and just enjoying life.

Btw, you going to Way Out West this summer?

Pretty decent line-up so far.
Quote by Kensai
Some of my favourite songs by Cohen Been listening to him a lot lately. Yeah it's wintery as well. I think it's just that period between autumn and winter.

I wanted to put Neil Young somewhere but couldn't really place him. It's a kind of summer/autumn feel. His early stuff is very summer, but other songs are pretty winter =/

I have too. The only songs that I can think of from him that aren't winter/autumn are "Hallelujah"(spring) and "Diamonds in the mine"(Summer for some reason). Even most of his less depressing songs like "The future" and "First we take Manhattan" have a winter feel for me.

The only songs by Neil Young that I could put in summer are his more political songs. But I'm like that with all political songs. Stuff like "Down by the river", "Needle and the damage done", and "Running dry" have a winter feel for me. Stuff like "Old man", "Cinnamon girl", "Heart of gold", etc. I would call spring.
Quote by L2112Lif
Moondance-Van Morrison is definitely a summer album. I got it in June and it was playing constantly in my car through the whole season.

Willow Weep For Me-Wes Montgomery is also a pretty summer album. Something about the melody on that first song...
Also, John Frusciante is a pretty summery feeling for me. As is Django Reinhardt, 50's Rock&Roll songs (Wilburt Harrison, Fats Domino, Little Richard) and The Who.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I can imagine. Used it all night during summer as a sleeping album. It's wonderful to wake up to as well.

I can imagine myself putting that on and waking up at Roskilde, having my morning coffee and a cigarette and just enjoying life.

Btw, you going to Way Out West this summer?

Pretty decent line-up so far.

Mmm yeah, I had my own balcony where I lived during the summer where I always had my breakfast. Used to listen to it there as well. It reminds me of Göteborgs skärgård so much.

I haven't really looked at it much. I only recognize "refused" from the bands list, so I might not.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I have too. The only songs that I can think of from him that aren't winter/autumn are "Hallelujah"(spring) and "Diamonds in the mine"(Summer for some reason). Even most of his less depressing songs like "The future" and "First we take Manhattan" have a winter feel for me.

The only songs by Neil Young that I could put in summer are his more political songs. But I'm like that with all political songs. Stuff like "Down by the river", "Needle and the damage done", and "Running dry" have a winter feel for me. Stuff like "Old man", "Cinnamon girl", "Heart of gold", etc. I would call spring.

I only associate winter with songs that are kinda rugged and hardly have any reverb, lyrics are pretty dry and melancholic. Should fit Cohen somewhat but I can't associate him much with winter

Everybody knows this is nowhere and most of the songs from the collection album "archives" are pretty summery to me. If you haven't listened already do so! Also "cripple creek ferry" is so summery
Winter

Elliot Smith - XO
The Cure - Disintegration
The Replacements - Let it Be
Pearl Jam - Ten

Autumn

The Velvet Underground - TVU & Nico
R.E.M - Murmur
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
MBV - MBV
Weezer - Pinkerton
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Summer

The Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Primal Scream - Screamadellica
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Spring

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister, The Boy With the Arap Strap
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

All year round

Born to Run and Siamese Dream
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by Kensai

Mmm yeah, I had my own balcony where I lived during the summer where I always had my breakfast. Used to listen to it there as well. It reminds me of Göteborgs skärgård so much.

I haven't really looked at it much. I only recognize "refused" from the bands list, so I might not.
:

First Aid Kit are coming. And Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth. And Billy Bragg.

I want to see those three. Refused are not my cup of tea really.

And The War On Drugs are attending too.

They are quite nice.

Well, he does live at Orust, just north of Gothenburg. You seen that interview with him? TV4. Like early stages of Håkan's latest album. Winter 2010 I would assume.
http://www.tv4play.se/nyheter_och_debatt/nyhetsmorgon?title=bjorn_olsson_ar_mannen_bakom_tsool_och_hakan_hellstrom&videoid=912877 Here it is. You know he was the "genius" behind The Soundtrack Of Our Lives first album right? Listen to Mantra Slider and then Track 10 from The Crab.

To above poster.

I'd really say Velvet Underground is more a of spring/summer feel. At least in my mind.

Cohen is autumn without a doubt. Tom Waits is either summer nights or autumn.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 6, 2012,
I had to cut a load from Autumn for mine because most of the stuff I listen to seems to fit in there.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by Kensai
I only associate winter with songs that are kinda rugged and hardly have any reverb, lyrics are pretty dry and melancholic. Should fit Cohen somewhat but I can't associate him much with winter

Everybody knows this is nowhere and most of the songs from the collection album "archives" are pretty summery to me. If you haven't listened already do so! Also "cripple creek ferry" is so summery

I tend to associate winter with songs that have a sad feel to them. Just like how I tend to associate summer with songs that are kind of aggressive/angry sounding.

Everybody knows this is nowhere is a fantastic album. That and Harvest are my favorites from him. I'll check out "Archives" when I get a chance.
Quote by L2112Lif
Ocean Machine's Biomech reminds me of water, but that's not too surprising
The Mars Volta's Bedlam In Goliath reminds me of an Egyptian style climate.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Farewell Flight (Out For Blood), Relient K (Forget And Not Slow Down), Marilyn Manson (Smells Like Children), and Silversun Pickups 1st album are all fall/rainy day records

The rests are just whatever I feel like, I haven't noticed any patterns really.
Aerosmith have always given me a Summer feeling, but I've not experienced season relations with any other music I've listened to.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
I know that there's at least two other UGers that listen to the Residents, so what season would you put them under?
Quote by L2112Lif
Anything by Tim Barry, Chuck Ragan or Austin Lucas reminds me of fall.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Page 1 of 2