I've been playing bass for about a year now and I'm trying to improve my finger technique. I can use three fingers and play at a fairly brisk pace but I'm kind of messy, especially when it come to switching strings (I end up hitting the wrong strings). In Hysteria by Muse, the only bit that throws me off is the switch from the e to the d string. Can you guys could recommend any songs for improving my technique (any genre is fine).
Last edited by run_forrest_run at Feb 6, 2012,
rush
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
what is it that makes you play 'messily'? is it not getting to the string in time, or hitting the other strings?
it might be anything from height of your strap or the action on your strings meaning some get in the way.
considering you like muse, i'd recommend songs like apocalypse please futurism, glorious for somewhat quick string switching and thoughts of a dying atheist as well as newborn for pretty simple, consistent playing.

EDIT: plug in baby, supermassive black hole, uprising are all centred around octaves on the bass or at least have substantial playing with octaves which imo are a good place to start to get smoother at playing different strings quickly.
hope i helped

EDEDIT: seemann by rammstein is a pretty nice finger style line, but its a bit different to what you might normally hear.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Feb 6, 2012,
What are you looking to improve? timing? speed? feel? technique? complexity? musicality?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
What are you looking to improve? timing? speed? feel? technique? complexity? musicality?

Technique mostly. I should have stated it but by messy I meant I often hit the wrong strings when I'm switching during a faster song.
Quote by moody git
what is it that makes you play 'messily'? is it not getting to the string in time, or hitting the other strings?
it might be anything from height of your strap or the action on your strings meaning some get in the way.
considering you like muse, i'd recommend songs like apocalypse please futurism, glorious for somewhat quick string switching and thoughts of a dying atheist as well as newborn for pretty simple, consistent playing.

EDIT: plug in baby, supermassive black hole, uprising are all centred around octaves on the bass or at least have substantial playing with octaves which imo are a good place to start to get smoother at playing different strings quickly.
hope i helped

EDEDIT: seemann by rammstein is a pretty nice finger style line, but its a bit different to what you might normally hear.

+1 to everything in this post.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by moody git

hope i helped

Thanks. I can play stuff like uprising with no problem. It's really easy to do with free fingers. It's stuff like Hysteria that gives me trouble switching strings.