I'm considering getting singing lessons, as I've always sorta wanted to sing, and recently it's been something I've been really thinking about. But is there a point where it's not worth getting lessons because you literally can NOT sing to save your life?

I cannot stress enough how bad a point I'd be starting from, but would a decent teacher and enough practice be able to get me to a point where I can?
Don't think so, I know some people who have lessons and still suck.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Depends on how bad you want it... and how good a teacher you can find.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Yeah I think I'm going to give it a shot. Looked at a couple of teachers in my area, will probably either go with weekly 30min lessons or fortnightly 1hour lessons starting next month.
A lot depends on what your problem is.

eg, if you're tone deaf, you're probably stuck. On the other hand, if you just have trouble with pitch, you probably CAN dramatically improve. You can probably improve the tone of your voice. It's hard to say without knowing what you're doing wrong.

But if you've never had lessons, why would you expect to be able to sing? You should never assume that's a born-with-it-or-not skill.
Nah, not tone deaf, I've been doing ear training for my guitar recently, starting to see some nice improvements there
Last edited by fwatt at Feb 7, 2012,
Go for it. Got nothing to lose, other than a few bucks. A good teacher can help anyone sing better. You may not be able to sing the way you want... I mean there are a LOT of singers who sound good, but hate their own voice. Don't go into it thinking you're gonna sound like "X singer" with lessons... you'll sound like you, whether that's good or bad.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
you'll sound like you, whether that's good or bad.

Does this mean I won't be able to improve my tone, just my ability to hit notes?

and if this is a case how come a lot of artists in the same genre tend to have a similar tone? (not disagreeing, you guys obviously know a hell of a lot more than me on this subject, just curious)
Quote by fwatt
Does this mean I won't be able to improve my tone, just my ability to hit notes?

and if this is a case how come a lot of artists in the same genre tend to have a similar tone? (not disagreeing, you guys obviously know a hell of a lot more than me on this subject, just curious)

There is a quality of your voice which you can't really control. A great example of this is Billy Joel - his voice sounds very high in pitch even when he's singing pretty low. (Try to sing one of his songs and you'll notice that you intuitively want to sing the song much higher than it really is).

Some things (smoking, drinking, age, weight) will have a small effect on this in the long term.

This is based on a lot of the same factors that allow you to recognize a friend of yours voice on the phone. People just sound different.

However, there is a lot of stuff about the quality of your singing voice, in addition to being able to hit pitch, that you can improve. You can move the voice around in your body - for a deeper, more soulful chest voice, or a higher head voice. You can learn to put the emphasis on the right sounds to make your voice more expressive. You can improve your articulation so that your sung words are clearer. You can project your voice and make it more resonant so that it fills space better.

Artists in the same genre tend to have similar voices because they're applying these techniques in a similar way - but there can be more than one way to apply them. Singers are usually working in a particular idiom that has particular expectations. Popular singers are under some pretty heavy expectations to give their audience what they're used to - but Eddie Vedder sounds really different once "Once" than he does on "Just Breathe," Van Morrison can be a soul singer on "Crazy Love" and a rocker on "Brown Eyed Girl."

But again, you have to work at it. A friend of mine really wanted to be a rocker but her voice worked much better in a folk-rock context. It took her a couple of years of hard work and performing before she found the place where her voice worked in a rock context.

There is a certain essentially you-ness that will always be a part of your voice. Eddie Vedder always sounds like Eddie Vedder. Van Morrison almost always sounds like Van Morrison (although I doubt most people would guess that he was the singer of "Crazy Love" if they didn't already know).

However, it all comes back to a form of the question I asked you earlier:

Why would you assume that you're anywhere close to being as good a singer as you can be if you haven't worked at it? Are there any areas of human endeavor that don't improve with well-directed practice and instruction?
Quote by merriman44
Good luck friend. It's a fun, often-frustrating and terribly addicting journey.

This.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by fwatt

What I mean is that you can hear a band you're familiar with on the radio covering a song you're familiar with, and you immediately know that it's not the original singer because of the various differences in their voices. Even though they are singing the same lyrics, in the same key, same pitch, everything, etc, you can instantly tell who is singing. You can change your pitch, you can change your tone, you can even improve your range if you work at it, but your voice will sound like your voice.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I was so bad that when people gathered with family to sing happy birthday, people would whisper at me to just mouth the words.

I found an amazing teacher. Here is my story: www.thebelcantotechnique.com

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.