Noobs - that's me

Budget? - $300CAD for Cab and $200CAD for head, or $200 for Cab and $300 for head Max (not including tax)

Genres? - Anything as heavy or heavier than rock alternative

New or Used? -i already checked craigslist and there aren't any in my budget. New. Not willing to buy on ebay.

Home or Gig? - Both, I mic my amp sometimes, depends really.

Closest City? - Richmond, Vancouver, Surrey. All in B.C. Also Seattle.

Current Gear? - Squier Deryck Whibley Telecaster Custom, Traynor DynaGain 10, Behringer ADI21, Ibanez DC3, Digitech RP70, Danelectro D-3, Guitar Rig 4 (if that counts) Boss DS-1, Boss ML-2, Boss AC-3, Boss BD-2.

Preferences - I want a Solid-State amp, because of the low-maintenance. MUST BE SOLID STATE. NO TUBE AMPS. NO COMBO AMPS. Preferably half-stack. I can get a Marshall or Line 6 or Bugera 4x12 Cab for $300CAD. So I'd prefer the head to be under $200CAD.

Edit: I can get a Kustom 4x12 for $200USD
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by surjer
Im partial to the Vypyr's for heavey stuff in the SS arena.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-Guitar-Amp-Head-H68200-i1631267.gc

that was my first option but then I'd need 2 cabs for the ohm to match
$260 cabs
$200 head.
that's $460 for 2x12...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kustom-kg100hfx-and-kg412-half-stack/430993000001310
that's $400 for a nice looking half stack with 4x12
Why do so many people think tube amps are high maintenance for god's sake? all you have to do is replace the tubes every couple of years or so, depending on how much you play.

Although in your case with that budget you couldnt afford one anyway
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Meh, for that head you dont have to match 100%. you would be completely fine running it to a 16ohm cab. Just dont run it to a 4ohm cab.. Cab needs to be of equal or higher resistance. (let thewarz begin) lol.

I wouldnt get that shitty 112 that peavey offers tho. I'd probably pair it with an Avatar 212..

There is also the Peavey Transtube Supreme head that i think sounded pretty darn good for what it is. Would have to find one used tho.

hang in their tho cause there are some folks on here with a lot more experience than me in terms of amps. (Im a peavey guy) and dont know much about some of the alternatives. Whatever you do DO NOT GET A SPIDER!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Why do so many people think tube amps are high maintenance for god's sake? all you have to do is replace the tubes every couple of years or so, depending on how much you play.

Although in your case with that budget you couldnt afford one anyway

i didn't say tube amps are high maintenance, i said I didn't want one. I can afford a few tube amps actually, i'm just too lazy to change the tubes
Quote by surjer
Meh, for that head you dont have to match 100%. you would be completely fine running it to a 16ohm cab. Just dont run it to a 4ohm cab.. Cab needs to be of equal or higher resistance. (let thewarz begin) lol.

I wouldnt get that shitty 112 that peavey offers tho. I'd probably pair it with an Avatar 212..

There is also the Peavey Transtube Supreme head that i think sounded pretty darn good for what it is. Would have to find one used tho.

hang in their tho cause there are some folks on here with a lot more experience than me in terms of amps. (Im a peavey guy) and dont know much about some of the alternatives. Whatever you do DO NOT GET A SPIDER!

i don't want to get a line 6 spider. I don't want the cab that's supposed to go with the vypyr either. any opinion on this?:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kustom-kg100hfx-and-kg412-half-stack
Quote by dragonkidkoga
i didn't say tube amps are high maintenance, i said I didn't want one. I can afford a few tube amps actually, i'm just too lazy to change the tubes

There is no facepalm big enough, so this will have to suffice.

Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Changing the tubes won't take more than 10 minutes, if that.

So you're saying you cant spare 10 minutes every 3 years?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by dragonkidkoga

So you'd rather have a terrible sounding amp over taking an amp in every few years to have a tech put some new ones in?

Also, a SS stack is almost completely pointless. The main purposes of a stack is to separate the tubes from the speakers thus increasing tube life and allowing the cabinets to be closed back. Second is weight issues. SS amps aren't heavy and don't have tubes. Sure, you can go 4x12, but it's not going to sound any better than a 2x12 until you spend some money on something that isn't terrible.

That Kustom stack you asked about. Nowhere near as good as a Vypyr.

Honestly your plan is a waste of money.... Buy a combo. Don't even think about stacks until you're willing to spend roughly $1000 on a USED head and at least $500 on a USED cab.
You know, in your price range is the Vypyr Tube 60 which on that budget is THE way i would go. Its plenty loud to keep up with a drummer. Its a really nice sounding amp. You wouldnt regret the purchase. Then later on you could get a shitty 4x12 cabinet to get back the "bad ass with a stack" look..

Kustom = hell no..
...how do you delete a thread. I just asked for someone to recommend me a solid state halfstack... Geez. I don't want a freakin tube amp.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
...how do you delete a thread. I just asked for someone to recommend me a solid state halfstack... Geez. I don't want a freakin tube amp.
Okay, nobody is going to recommend you one because, in that price range, you're not getting one worth recommending. In fact, there aren't many SS heads out there worth buying that don't cost an obscene amount of money. Even then, I'd still take a tube amp purely for the dynamics that a SS amp simply can't recreate.

We're trying to show you that the reasoning for why you need a SS half stack is pretty much ridiculous, and that you should either save your money or invest it more wisely. Ultimately, it's your call, but when you come here asking for help, don't just expect people to validate your bad ideas.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by dragonkidkoga

People recommended the Vypyr. Next to the Retro Channel RR1 (which is rather expensive) it is the only SS amp that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, and really your only option, especially if you're going for a stack.

Plus people are trying to be helpful. Tube amps sound better, and since your budget would permit a used tube amp that's what people are going to suggest, especially since you've failed to give any logical reason as to why you don't want one.
In an attempt to answer your actual question and not get into a tube vs SS mass debate.....

Look at the Stagg series 60W or actually the Stagg 250 GARH (if you're looking at more kick). The 250 GARH goes for around $220 ish which should suit your price range. It's a straight up SS head unit and impedance down to 4 ohm. As a head unit, it does ok rock, rock alternative and metal. It's always going to have that solid state edge bite to the sound, but that's what you asked for....

FYI. You mentioned Marshall, albeit only as a cab. Don't even look at Marshall SS amps. ALL the Marshall SS amps are crap. They may be Marshall by name, but that's about all. Everything about them is rubbish.

EDIT: I would have suggested the Ampeg SS 140C series but they generally above your price range
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 7, 2012,
Vypyr Tube 60. You really don't need to change the tubes any more than once every two or three years, unless you're playing cranked every day.

You are not going to find a good sounding head and cab on that budget. You are not going to find a good sounding solid state amp on that budget.

There is no reason to get mad just because people did not tell you what you want to hear.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Get a blackstar HT. It sounds good enough and is solid state enough to keep you happy.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Let me weigh in on this. I say go get your Kustom. Or a Marshall. It doesnt matter, both will sound equal. Go buy what you want, dont come back and ask for help if you dont want it. Its just our opinions, we arent going to buy for you or force you to buy something.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.