i know this is probably a pretty talks over topic here, but I'm gonna ask anyway. I have an old squire start that i got when i first started learning guitar, do you think its worth fixing up a bit? i was thinking of getting one of those preloaded pickgaurds from all parts.com (only $60) some new tuning heads like ($20 off ebay) and maybe some new bridge saddle (another $20) so do you guys think its really worth the $100 to fix it up a bit and maybe make it playable or just save the $100 for something else?
Only you know whether it's worth sinking money into. If you have a hundred bucks to blow, and that old guitar - your first love - still makes you smile when you pick it up, then why not? If your heart's hankering for bigger and better things then save your dough for later.

The phrase, "make it playable" suggests that you already know the answer.

[edit]
On the other hand; if you want to start messing about with modding then it may be a perfect project to start with. Just bear in mind that the results may not be phenomenal. But if you've never done anything to a guitar before it would seem to be a good place to start. You'll certainly learn some things.
[/edit]
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Feb 6, 2012,
Affinity Strat is Alder, I like alder. If it's an affinity then it's definitely worth it IMO. Specially because it's old I'd definitely do it. Problem is the neck and the bridge. Is it playable? if it were me, I'd replace everything from hardware to pickups to the neck and just end up keeping the body. I might even strip the finish and change the pickguard.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
no. been there, done that, the problem is the wood, not the electronics

Squier wood is fine, shush. Never had any issues with Squiers once they've been done up.

j1o1s1h1b1: if you're gonna upgrade go for something like the GFS loaded pickguards (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pre-Wired-Pickguards_c_25.html) they're really good pickups for the price. I'd also suggest looking into a good nut instead of new tuners, the ratio on the Squier tuners isn't bad, and as long as you tighten up the little screw in the button to stiffen them and string your guitar properly you probably won't see much difference in the upgrade. The nut however affects the tone and tuning stability and graphite one tends to be popular as it gives a fairly nice tone and great tuning stability especially for instruments with trems.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
Squier wood is fine, shush. Never had any issues with Squiers once they've been done up.

j1o1s1h1b1: if you're gonna upgrade go for something like the GFS loaded pickguards (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pre-Wired-Pickguards_c_25.html) they're really good pickups for the price. I'd also suggest looking into a good nut instead of new tuners, the ratio on the Squier tuners isn't bad, and as long as you tighten up the little screw in the button to stiffen them and string your guitar properly you probably won't see much difference in the upgrade. The nut however affects the tone and tuning stability and graphite one tends to be popular as it gives a fairly nice tone and great tuning stability especially for instruments with trems.

checked that website, only $30 for a loaded pickgaurd?! geez, thats so cheap, whats the catch? does it really sound half decent?
Instead of spending $60 for a loaded pickguard you should pick up a set of used Fender American Standard single coils from eBay for around $70. I got a set for my 2001 Affinity and it made it into a recording quality instrument. The pole pieces won't be directly under the treble strings on the neck pickup but they still pick up those strings just fine. Also they come stock with 500K pots, you might want to pick up 3 250K pots if you want to tame the inherent shrillness of the single coils.

The only real problem with Affinitys are the frets. I have yet to pick up an Affinity that doesn't have fret buzz. I've adjusted mine for hours and still can't get the buzz outta it.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 7, 2012,
The catch with the pickups from gfs is they're Korean made rebrands (actually made by artec) best bang for your buck that side of the world.

Flux: redress the frets and cut a new nut
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Well yeah haha, I was just saying it's a problem on all the Affinity Strats I've played. I don't use the Squier enough to justify having a nut cut for it and redressing the frets, mainly due to the string spacing. The narrow nut width on the Squier makes it a bit hard for me to play (I have big hands) and I'm actually in the market for a legit Strat to replace it . I'm aiming for a CP 50s but I'd settle with an American Special or older Highway 1 as well.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]