Try to refrain from normal pit shenanigans, I would appreciate some serious advice

So I was thinking a lot about college and my future and whatnot for the past hour or so. The entire time I've been in high school I've wanted to become a music producer, specifically affiliated more with hip hop, and I've wanted to major in Music Production in college, with a minor in business... Possibly double major in Music Production and business, just so I have a broad range of things I could do... However, one of the things I want most, I've come to realize, is that I want to have a family, and be able to live that "normal family life". So I'm really starting to wonder if becoming a music producer is really a good career choice because:

1. There's a chance I won't get paid well
2. If I do become successful, it might turn out to be too difficult to balance career with family

What do you guys think/suggest? I'd like to hear some insight, thanks
I think you should really wonder if becoming a music producer is really a good career choice because:

1. There's a chance your won't get paid well
2. If you do become successful, it might turn out to be too difficult to balance career with family
Major in business first.
Some schools with marketing programs have internships at record labels.
I'm in business (marketing) and there are so many opportunities being offered.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Try to refrain from normal pit shenanigans, I would appreciate some serious advice

This is possible?
One of my cousins is a producer. He worked as an intern at a mildly successful local studio. Then he got offered a job in the UK where he got paid a shit load and got to party every night.

mad jealousy on my part
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Major in business first.
Some schools with marketing programs have internships at record labels.

I plan on attending Ohio University, which has a reputation for good networking, so whether I major in business or music production, I would most likely be getting an internship somewhere.

However, would a minor in business really make me that much less qualified than a major in business?
I was in an audio engineering trade school for my last year of high school and I had three different teachers who were all producers as well. Not like famous producers or anything but they did that kind of thing. Each one of them told us on several different occassions that it was a very demanding job and not an ideal career for someone who wants a "normal family life".
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
I think your original plan is pretty good. What you choose to major in as an undergrad doesn't really have a strong correlation with what you'll do once you get out. I might reverse what you've just suggested, though...that is, major in a business area and minor (if you can) in music production.

But hey, best thing you can do is start taking classes. You'll probably change majors five times once you start...sounds cliche, but it's cliche because it literally happens to EVERYONE. Just start, make sure you take a full load of classes every semester, don't take breaks (you won't start back again), and finish on time.
with a name like ItsOnlyGNR + rhcp avatar you should leave hip-hop production alone

rock guys are better off doing rock
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I plan on attending Ohio University, which has a reputation for good networking, so whether I major in business or music production, I would most likely be getting an internship somewhere.

However, would a minor in business really make me that much less qualified than a major in business?

It's less specialized. You'll get a basic education in business, but not very in depth. If your school will be anything like mine, half of your courses will be business related. I'm in a business management program. So I have to know most areas of a corporation and specialize in one.
Look at the calendar for your chosen major and the policy on minors for the school. It should give you an idea of what courses you'll take.
Quote by dazed60
with a name like ItsOnlyGNR + rhcp avatar you should leave hip-hop production alone

rock guys are better off doing rock

I have a wide range of musical taste. 99.9% of the music I make, write, and record right now is hip hop.

so what you guys are saying is I should see if I could switch and major in business and minor in music production?
Two words: ostrich farming. Seriously, consider it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I have a wide range of musical taste. 99.9% of the music I make, write, and record right now is hip hop.

so what you guys are saying is I should see if I could switch and major in business and minor in music production?

What we're saying is do what you want. You can always change if it doesn't go so well.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

thats fine so long as you know there are alot of differences in how things should sound

you dont want to be "that guy" who masters hiphop albums that sound rockish
GnR fag.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by dazed60
thats fine so long as you know there are alot of differences in how things should sound

you dont want to be "that guy" who masters hiphop albums that sound rockish

you're right that never works out

*cough*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk*cough*
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Go to a place with a lot of musicians/labels and make lots of connections with them and surround yourself with the people who are going to make the work you want to work with.
I think you could do a double major/double degree if you wanted to. The work could mount up on you, but if you really want to do it and are motivated enough it shouldn't be too hard and at the end of it your prospects are pretty good and you have more options.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."