Ok so im thinking i finally know which amp i know i shoud be looking at.

Heres the things i like about my 6534+:
The heavy mids and lack of quack
The tightness
And the clarity (although it could have a little more)

Id like preferably a bit more clarity and i find my amp too agressive at times and too fizzy always. A smoother distortion that isnt harsh but still tight but with a nice full bottom end.

Should i be looking at a Mark IV/ Mark V?

Or is there another amp i should be looking at? Im thinking i prefer a 6l6 amp but i dont think thats set in stone.

I may have a buyer for my peavey and cab soon which would give me 1400$ to start off.

Am I right on what Im thinking? And if i need a mark, sould i get a IV for under 1600$ or buy a V for 2500$+?
I'm thinking the mark series would be perfect. You can get great recto tones without the fizz and floppy bottom end. Have you tried rolling back the gain and using a Tube Screamer? The mark V is great but the price difference is huge and maybe not worth it.
Yea i own a TS9 and it does nothing that great for the peavey.

Theres like a dead mint mark IV combo, one of the last ones made going for 1500$ right now, and a mark v head for 1750. Im gonna buy the head if it sits around a bit but if not itll be the used IV or a new V

Less gain helps on the peavey but it has to be alot less gain where it a tad less gain than 80's metal
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Feb 6, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep

The heavy mids and lack of quack
The tightness
And the clarity (although it could have a little more)

Id like preferably a bit more clarity and i find my amp too agressive at times and too fizzy always. A smoother distortion that isnt harsh but still tight but with a nice full bottom end.

You just described a Splawn Quick Rod
Have you played a Mark? They're great amps, but the amount of controls can be overwhelming. For me the amp sounds awesome (I have a Mark IV), but I find it to be very difficult to really get it dialed in. But then I'm admittedly not great at EQ'ing either. It takes me forever to dial an amp into the sweet spot when I only have the standard 3 band EQ stack.

Definitely try one out. Sounds like it would fit what you're looking for pretty well. It's a pretty tight amp, with a pretty strong midrange.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
the Mark 4 is great but you might as well go for the Mark V. the other two channels are far superior in every sense than the Mark 4, but you still get that lead channel that is extremely tight and has a load of mids
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Yeah, Rhythm 2 on the Mark V is better than the IV for sure. Not so sure about R1... I didn't mess with it too much on my buddy's MKV, but I can get a clean tone I like a lot from the MKIV.

The question is whether or not the improvement on R2 is worth the extra money to you. Kinda hard to tell without playing them both.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 8, 2012,
Oh crap......

Played a 3ch pre2010 dual rec through a roadking 212 today. That really suprised me. It had nice clarity and sounded as big as i wanted. The lack of compression was a big thing too, I think I really like that. Have to experiement more. But it wasnt as saggy as peoe describe even without a boost.

Maybe I have to give the roadster another shot. If not ill be looking to score a mark for sure
Playing a dual recto side by side with my old mark IV I always liked the mark.
Recto sounded bigger, more low end, and sag.
Mark was much more aggressive and still incredibly smooth. Playing lead stuff was amazing. Cut was amazing. Alone I liked the tone better. Mixed with a recto it made it seems a little sissy ish.

I think either will be better than the peavey. The rectos can get fizzy though.
/rig
Well im no lead player but i like a smooth tight tone for the riff work I do. I find the peavey always has too much bite and just want something more rounded with a nice bottom end. The recto was still a tad too agressive but the lack of compression was a great thing. Very wierd at first but its the kind of thing thatll clean up your playing. Again, I didnt notice too much sag or looseness with the recto, it was alot tighter than I was expecting, there was sag but not enough to complain about. Hopefully I can get down to try a mark V and roadster side by side this weekend. From what I heard the roadster is a bit smoother and darker than normal rectos. Sounds awesome but also a recepie for mud and flub
it's all in the EQ and power section settings. You can set the recto for tube rectification, which will give you more sag, or you can select the tighter silicon diode rectification. The Mark has even more variables. You could spend a month tweaking the EQ on a MKV.

I've been gassing for a road king for a while now, but they're ungodly expensive. I'd have to sell the MKIV, one of my guitars, and possibly a kidney.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Well the roadster Ive always gassed for, even before I got the peavey but any recto I played sounded boxy and shrill and I knew it was in my EQing. Not that O have a better idea of eqing tube amps the 3ch rec seemed alot more alive which suprised me. If supposededly one of the worst rectos did this for me then I should probably give the roadster another shot too.

Good thing my local store always has roadsters and Mark Vs in stock